Personal Guy beating his dog in front of my house

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
There's an older (50s/60s) guy that walks 2 dogs every day in my neighborhood. My office faces the street and I see him struggle with these larger dogs, as there are a lot of cats and squirrels around. My dog tries to chase them as well.

If his dog severely misbehaves or tries to go after a squirrel and pulls him (larger Pit) I've seen him yell at the dog, no big deal. Ineffective, but who hasn't been there?

The other day he slapped the dog in the face and it took everything I could muster not to confront him.

Then this past weekend, same thing happened, and the dogs tried to drag him across the street to get to a cat and he hit the dog several times. Hard. Harder than I thought was necessary. It's a big dog and a Pit, but come on.

What is the threshold for this kind of behavior? I know dogs can be frustrating, and you have to reprimand the dog at whatever level is appropriate for them (ie. can't spank a tiny dog with the same force as a big dog, and a big dog won't respond to a level of spanking a little dog would cower from), but to me this seems abusive. It makes me want to smash his fucking face.

What do I do?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Get an RC truck and secure a stuffed cat to it. Next time he walks by have the "cat" rush out and cause a chase with the pittie. Hopefully you can get the dog to make the owner faceplant. If he goes ape shit on the dog that'll be your opportunity to have a mature discussion with him about proper handling of a bully breeds. Slapping the shit out of them isn't helping anyone.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
There's an older (50s/60s) guy that walks 2 dogs every day in my neighborhood. My office faces the street and I see him struggle with these larger dogs, as there are a lot of cats and squirrels around. My dog tries to chase them as well.

If his dog severely misbehaves or tries to go after a squirrel and pulls him (larger Pit) I've seen him yell at the dog, no big deal. Ineffective, but who hasn't been there?

The other day he slapped the dog in the face and it took everything I could muster not to confront him.

Then this past weekend, same thing happened, and the dogs tried to drag him across the street to get to a cat and he hit the dog several times. Hard. Harder than I thought was necessary. It's a big dog and a Pit, but come on.

What is the threshold for this kind of behavior? I know dogs can be frustrating, and you have to reprimand the dog at whatever level is appropriate for them (ie. can't spank a tiny dog with the same force as a big dog, and a big dog won't respond to a level of spanking a little dog would cower from), but to me this seems abusive. It makes me want to smash his fucking face.

What do I do?
I dare you to say something so that old man can smack you like he did the dog. Everytime you see him walking after that you will be like...

M

member 3289

If the dogs aren't showing any signs of abuse, I'd leave it be. He's a lot better than the dipshits who can't control large dogs.

M

member 3289

The dog lovers aren't gonna be happy about this, but sometimes you need to beat a dog's ass to get it to listen to you.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
The dog lovers aren't gonna be happy about this, but sometimes you need to beat a dog's ass to get it to listen to you.
I've never had a dog like that, so I can't say, but I wouldn't know what "signs of abuse" are. The beatings are obviously not working because the dog has been exhibiting the same behavior as long as I've observed it on walks here; about a year. I'm thinking the dog is eventually going to bite him.

Where's the line of abuse? Because I'll be honest, I'm not very good at restraint. If I see him kick the dog I'm going to throw his old ass into traffic.

M

member 3289

I've never had a dog like that, so I can't say, but I wouldn't know what "signs of abuse" are. The beatings are obviously not working because the dog has been exhibiting the same behavior as long as I've observed it on walks here; about a year. I'm thinking the dog is eventually going to bite him.

Where's the line of abuse? Because I'll be honest, I'm not very good at restraint. If I see him kick the dog I'm going to throw his old ass into traffic.
Yeah it def sounds like he is crossing the line from "discipline" to "abuse".

Is there an animal welfare agency in your area? A woman in south Florida was arrested just this past weekend for starving her dog.

Sunrise woman arrested for animal cruelty

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018

The problem is the guy never took the dog (and himself) for training. They train both of you. My ex wife had a bad Maltese that I ended up going to training with. It really works.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
The problem is the guy never took the dog (and himself) for training. They train both of you. My ex wife had a bad Maltese that I ended up going to training with. It really works.
Word- MOST of the training is for the human. I've done it several times; my rescue is EXTREMELY dog-aggressive, but smacking her around- while sometimes it would make ME feel better- isn't going to solve the problem. I know some bully breeds can take (and need) stronger corrections, but...

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Word- MOST of the training is for the human. I've done it several times; my rescue is EXTREMELY dog-aggressive, but smacking her around- while sometimes it would make ME feel better- isn't going to solve the problem. I know some bully breeds can take (and need) stronger corrections, but...
Yup you know the deal. Choker collar for the win.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
don't worry.
eventually he'll cross the dogs' threshold, and it'll all work itself out.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i saw some old lady beat her poodle at the beach the other day. she was hanging out right by the gate to the resort next door with her gay fuckin dog and some dude walked thru the gate with his bigger dog. it was a docile old lab and the poodle went full retard and went after it like a honey badger.the guy and the lab paused for a second and then just kept on going. no big deal . then the old bitch dragged her dog around behind this statue and slapped the shit out of it like 4 or 5 times.we are in a public park there is kids on the beach and a retarded kid is having a birthday party over by the big trees . im just watching this go down like wtf .

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016

What do I do?
Slap HIM harder than necessary and ask if that helps change his behavior..

Only intervene if you see serious signs of abuse.

Ask politely if he wants to own bigger breeds hit the Gym so he can control them with his noodle Non Sex Chicken @Sex Chicken arms and get proper training for both the dogs and himself.

That's what it comes down too.

People who say training doesn't work. Never really gave it a shot.

Glad we got good people like you with the need to do something about it btw.

From a fellow ass man to another I thank you.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I come from the culture that produced cesar milan so the guy disciplining his dogs like that wouldn't bother me.

I sort of see dogs more as beasts than humans.

when I was a kid our dogs were never allowed in the house they stayed outside.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I come from the culture that produced cesar milan so the guy disciplining his dogs like that wouldn't bother me.

I sort of see dogs more as beasts than humans.

when I was a kid our dogs were never allowed in the house they stayed outside.
What if there was an earthquake?

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I think people humanize pets too much. They forget they are animals and naively project human traits onto their pets. Dogs (especially powerful or more aggressive breeds) need to be somewhat broken for their own good and that of those around them. Now if this dude is hitting the dog for no reason or taking his own issues out on the poor animal, then I would be the first person to step in, but if the dog is going against instructions or going beyond the limits his owner has set, then firm physicality is an effective way to recalibrate expectations. It is also important to think of how many pitbull attacks there are where the dog snaps or has a visceral response to a catalyst. We think, “if only the owner had disciplined better that innocent victim might still have a face.” IMO, leave it alone unless you see obvious abuse for no justifiable reason.

Too swole to control

I’ll fight anyone on here except Sex Chicken
Oct 28, 2015
Yes you should definitely show him violence is not an effective teaching tool by beating his ass. Bet he won't do it again. Or will he

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I’m going to beat up your cat in front of you.

Mods I know you’ve pleaded with me to stop threatening this punk but no one said his cat was off limits.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I think people humanize pets too much. They forget they are animals and naively project human traits onto their pets. Dogs (especially powerful or more aggressive breeds) need to be somewhat broken for their own good and that of those around them. Now if this dude is hitting the dog for no reason or taking his own issues out on the poor animal, then I would be the first person to step in, but if the dog is going against instructions or going beyond the limits his owner has set, then firm physicality is an effective way to recalibrate expectations. It is also important to think of how many pitbull attacks there are where the dog snaps or has a visceral response to a catalyst. We think, “if only the owner had disciplined better that innocent victim might still have a face.” IMO, leave it alone unless you see obvious abuse for no justifiable reason.
That isn’t the correct way to discipline a dog. You do it with leash training. It works.