Had my second Judo class tonight. Are their any Judoka's on here?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
So much fun. Being able to use these throws and techniques, even if they're sloppy/incomplete just has me leaving with a smile on my face.

We went over Ippon Seoinage again tonight, I'm starting to get the footwork down, that's what I'll be working on for the rest of the night.

We also went over Ouchi Gari. Nice technique. Was starting to get the hang of it towards the end.

Think I might've hurt my elbow a bit trying to catch myself during Ne Waza, but that was still alot of fun. I went up against a Brown belt and, to my surprise I not only managed to get him down with a surprise double leg but also managed to stall him in Rubber Guard(I have no Jiu Jitsu experience, just observation/watching alot of tape). Was pretty cool.

Anyone have any tips for Ouchi Gari?

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Used to be awesome, then shitty new rules came in and now it sucks and can be counter-productive.
Does your gym play by the old rules? If so that's frikn awesome, if not you may be pissing them off with your double legs.
Funny you mention Ouchi Gari, it's a prime example, I used to love it, I get down real low and even drop to my reaping knee but I would generally finish it off (or at least chain it) by grabbing the other leg, which now leads to disqualification (and de-evolutionizing the sport).

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Used to be awesome, then shitty new rules came in and now it sucks and can be counter-productive.
Does your gym play by the old rules? If so that's frikn awesome, if not you may be pissing them off with your double legs.
Funny you mention Ouchi Gari, it's a prime example, I used to love it, I get down real low and even drop to my reaping knee but I would generally finish it off (or at least chain it) by grabbing the other leg, which now leads to disqualification (and de-evolutionizing the sport).
I think we might go by the new rules, but im going to try and get him to teach me the old tech.

M

member 1013

Use your calf not your ankle, simultaneously drive in opposing ways on upper and lower not of opponent.

Land on ribs hard

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I haven’t done any Judo in 20 years. Today, I had my first class since then. My kids are signed up too. It was so much fun. I’m back MFers!

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
My kids have had 2 classes so far and love it! They just got their gi’s and today will be their first class wearing them. Finding this dojo was like a Christmas present for me. The Sensei is a world class trainer, literally, and is great with the kids. I fucking love it!

MichaelGasser

Jan 24, 2018
Our Jiu Jitsu school just had a Judo/BJJ black belt move here and join us. We started classes a few weeks ago and it is awesome!

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
An update on my return to Judo. I fucking love it! One of my daughters hates it, so we’re not forcing her to participate. The other two kids really enjoy it and have improved rapidly. My oldest daughter wants to compete, she loves randori. I am taking her to her first tournament later this month. After an almost 20 year hiatus for me, it is almost like starting over, but it is slowly coming back to me. My goal right now, is to become brown belt proficient. I honestly feel that I am like yellow belt level right now. My sensei is very understanding and is just glad to have me in class. Judo is a small community, he knows who my old instructors were. I do help out in the kids class and it’s a lot of fun. That’s also my main goal, to be able to help out with the kids class and be a good example to my kids.

M

member 603

An update on my return to Judo. I fucking love it! One of my daughters hates it, so we’re not forcing her to participate. The other two kids really enjoy it and have improved rapidly. My oldest daughter wants to compete, she loves randori. I am taking her to her first tournament later this month. After an almost 20 year hiatus for me, it is almost like starting over, but it is slowly coming back to me. My goal right now, is to become brown belt proficient. I honestly feel that I am like yellow belt level right now. My sensei is very understanding and is just glad to have me in class. Judo is a small community, he knows who my old instructors were. I do help out in the kids class and it’s a lot of fun. That’s also my main goal, to be able to help out with the kids class and be a good example to my kids.
How are you feeling with taking the bumps?

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I defiantly feel it, but I’m trying to be smart about it. Our school has some really good crash pads, and I use them all the time. I’m not trying to be a hero.

staceystark

Mar 30, 2018
So much fun. Being able to use these throws and techniques, even if they're sloppy/incomplete just has me leaving with a smile on my face.

We went over Ippon Seoinage again tonight, I'm starting to get the footwork down, that's what I'll be working on for the rest of the night.

We also went over Ouchi Gari. Nice technique. Was starting to get the hang of it towards the end.

Think I might've hurt my elbow a bit trying to catch myself during Ne Waza, but that was still alot of fun. I went up against a Brown belt and, to my surprise I not only managed to get him down with a surprise double leg but also managed to stall him in Rubber Guard(I have no Jiu Jitsu experience, just observation/watching alot of tape). Was pretty cool.

Anyone have any tips for Ouchi Gari?
It's been a long time for me, but what I remember about Ouchi Gari is that you have to first be able to pull them in toward you to get them off balance then proceed into the move. If they're already off-balance then that's half the battle (especially if they are already leaning backward as you'll already have their backward momentum on your side). Keep an eye on that. If they are bent in toward you or if their legs are too far for you to be able to reach and get into the move properly, it's a no go...get them moving around till it feels like their balance is off. My brother and I trained together and it's one of his favorite moves. He's a 6th Dan. Good luck!

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
My 8 year old daughter was demonstrating O Goshi to a classmate today. She threw him on his head and gave him a concussion. We have told them judo only at the dojo. My daughter feels horrible, as well she should. Sensei is going to be pissed.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
My 8 year old daughter was demonstrating O Goshi to a classmate today. She threw him on his head and gave him a concussion. We have told them judo only at the dojo. My daughter feels horrible, as well she should. Sensei is going to be pissed.
“With great power comes great responsibility” Hope the other child is OK.