Hardy's UFC on ESPN 6 Win Changed To No Contest After In Cage Inhalier Use Between Rounds

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015

With a little help from an inhaler, Greg Hardy earned his third UFC victory on Friday night - until it went away.

The controversial heavyweight was handily beating Ben Sosoli in the UFC on ESPN 6 main-card bout at Boston's TD Garden. But he was also noticeably slowing down and breathing heavy at the end of the second round.

Between rounds, Hardy (5-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) took a hit from an inhaler. Then he went out and finished the third, and was originally awarded a unanimous decision on scores of 30-27 across the board. That result, however, was reversed and later ruled a no contest by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission because of Hardy's inhaler use.

"I was in the ring. Me and my coach asked the commission if it would be OK to use my inhaler, and they said yes, so I took it," Hardy said. "I'm still a new guy in this sport. I did what I do in every situation: I asked permission. I got permission, and I did what I was told."

According to Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole, UFC president Dana White said use of the inhaler had been approved but that ultimately wasn't the case.

Hardy showed improved striking, footwork and pacing over the course of 15 minutes. He landed crisp jabs every time his smaller foe waded in, and he peppered Sosoli (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) with kicks throughout the fight.

Sosoli, who unlike some of Hardy's previous foes, didn't look intimidated, landed occasional heavy hands but was never able to untrack any sustained offense.

It's the second controversial result for Hardy in the UFC. In his promotional debut back in January, Hardy was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee in a fight with Allen Crowder.

UFC on ESPN 6 results: Greg Hardy victory changed to no contest after inhaler use

Wild @Wild

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Unreal that he would even risk doing that. I dont care who told him he could do it. That said, whoever from the commission told him it was okay, should be reprimanded.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Unreal that he would even risk doing that. I dont care who told him he could do it. That said, whoever from the commission told him it was okay, should be reprimanded.
That is a huge advantage to be able to take a medication that helps you breath when you're winded. It would be like Jones getting a little nose snow between rounds. :D

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That is a huge advantage to be able to take a medication that helps you breath when you're winded. It would be like Jones getting a little nose snow between rounds. :D
I laughed when Cruz said he'd like some oxygen between rounds.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
According to Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole, UFC president Dana White said use of the inhaler had been approved but that ultimately wasn't the case.
When history looks back at a statement like this...

Players:
Athletic commission
Dana White
Greg Hardy
Kevin Iole

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

With a little help from an inhaler, Greg Hardy earned his third UFC victory on Friday night - until it went away.

The controversial heavyweight was handily beating Ben Sosoli in the UFC on ESPN 6 main-card bout at Boston's TD Garden. But he was also noticeably slowing down and breathing heavy at the end of the second round.

Between rounds, Hardy (5-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) took a hit from an inhaler. Then he went out and finished the third, and was originally awarded a unanimous decision on scores of 30-27 across the board. That result, however, was reversed and later ruled a no contest by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission because of Hardy's inhaler use.

"I was in the ring. Me and my coach asked the commission if it would be OK to use my inhaler, and they said yes, so I took it," Hardy said. "I'm still a new guy in this sport. I did what I do in every situation: I asked permission. I got permission, and I did what I was told."

Hardy showed improved striking, footwork and pacing over the course of 15 minutes. He landed crisp jabs every time his smaller foe waded in, and he peppered Sosoli (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) with kicks throughout the fight.

Sosoli, who unlike some of Hardy's previous foes, didn't look intimidated, landed occasional heavy hands but was never able to untrack any sustained offense.

It's the second controversial result for Hardy in the UFC. In his promotional debut back in January, Hardy was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee in a fight with Allen Crowder.

UFC on ESPN 6 results: Greg Hardy victory changed to no contest after inhaler use

Wild @Wild