Has anyone become more type "B" personality?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've been told recently I'm SO type A, and I just looked it up and they die faster.
Generally I don't buy all the "type" crap, but believe there has to be some level of truth to these things.
Obviously nerds have all the money, and seem passive. But they live longer.
So I want to be more of a B. Nicer, richer, smarter, less idealistic, not so handsome/strong/athletic, etc.
Now for the latter(lah dee dah), I know I just have to do nothing. But what about less stressing over stuff and thinking about everything?
Basically I want to sleep at night without taking horse tranquilizers, and I want to be more thoughtful and tactful with people.
Anyone have a flash drive with this program on it?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Man, I used to be big time Type A when I was doing Project Management. My mind went a million miles a minute, I couldn't let shit go, would be up nights worrying about this or that. Then 8 years ago, I got an offer of a lifetime to move into Business Development (Sales) and slowly since, I have began to relax and become more Type B. A lot of it had to do with my working conditions, honestly. I've worked from home the last 8 years, my boss is so hands off that there are times I don't talk to him for a week or two, I've been able to pay off debt and establish a nice rainy day fund, etc. A lot less stress and less to think about. Will it add longevity to my life? I have no idea...but I sure as hell am enjoying it while I can.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well then, for the sake of your mental health, we should never compare dick sizes.
Pffffffft
No complaints yet.

Don't you worry I have a thread I'm going to drop in about a month. My dick will be the main topic of discussion.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I figured a lot of this comes with age.
But I'm also a single dad with 2 teenage/pre-teen daughters full time, so I need to get a handle on this like NOW.
I don't want to go to prison, or die by gunfire.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
But I'm also a single dad with 2 teenage/pre-teen daughters full time, so I need to get a handle on this like NOW.
Just learn proper body disposal techniques

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Drove my ex insaneeeeeeee
I think it's what's gotten me to where I am today tbh. I fucking hate losing at anything.
Yeah, my wife and I used to have some blowouts because I was so ate up with work (competition). If I needed to fly out to the job site and be there for 3 months to get it on track or whatever, I would bolt. I didn't want to lose...be looked at as a failure. It wasn't destroying my marriage because my wife is an angel (really)...but it wasn't good either. And it was eating me up from the inside out. Anxiety and stress thru the roof.

My wife says I've become a new person since I took this job 8 years ago...although it didn't happen overnight. But looking back, I missed so much of my kids childhood...either by not being there, or by simply being focused on other things I felt were more important. I wasn't there for my wife, like I should have been. I ruined vacations, dinners, functions by not being involved, not being there, being pissed because I had to be there, or having my mind on something else. Now I try to be more relaxed and involved, and appreciate the time I have with them. I also made a big decision a while back, and that was to just appreciate the things we have...versus constantly thinking "we can do better". I figured out that the salary I make is okay, the shitty truck that I drive is fine, the house we own is big enough, etc. Took me a long time to get to that point, but I'm glad I finally did. Not saying I'm still not competitive...I just try to put things into a better perspective and prioritize more now.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I see this in your future.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah, my wife and I used to have some blowouts because I was so ate up with work (competition). If I needed to fly out to the job site and be there for 3 months to get it on track or whatever, I would bolt. I didn't want to lose...be looked at as a failure. It wasn't destroying my marriage because my wife is an angel (really)...but it wasn't good either. And it was eating me up from the inside out. Anxiety and stress thru the roof.

My wife says I've become a new person since I took this job 8 years ago...although it didn't happen overnight. But looking back, I missed so much of my kids childhood...either by not being there, or by simply being focused on other things I felt were more important. I wasn't there for my wife, like I should have been. I ruined vacations, dinners, functions by not being involved, not being there, being pissed because I had to be there, or having my mind on something else. Now I try to be more relaxed and involved, and appreciate the time I have with them. I also made a big decision a while back, and that was to just appreciate the things we have...versus constantly thinking "we can do better". I figured out that the salary I make is okay, the shitty truck that I drive is fine, the house we own is big enough, etc. Took me a long time to get to that point, but I'm glad I finally did. Not saying I'm still not competitive...I just try to put things into a better perspective and prioritize more now.
I shall eventually get there, but not while I'm young and single. Gotta hustle hard

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
People don't understand that type A isn't a compliment, it's a diagnosis. They always want to think they are alpha or the big dog, but what it really means is that you are extra annoying. Adults don't get led around by 'type a', they leave and talk about what an asshole that dude was.

I shouldn't be surprised, nowadays even kids are proud about how 'bipolar' they are.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
People don't understand that type A isn't a compliment, it's a diagnosis. They always want to think they are alpha or the big dog, but what it really means is that you are extra annoying. Adults don't get led around by 'type a', they leave and talk about what an asshole that dude was.

I shouldn't be surprised, nowadays even kids are proud about how 'bipolar' they are.
I don't think it has anything to do with being alpha, more about being driven

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Thank you for your response, I was gonna PM you.

So what should I do?

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015

Agree and it seems like I've been on a similar path. Worked way too hard and too many hours that resulted in a lot of moments than can never be remade. Perspective definitely changes as we get older. Maybe the meds help??? What I call "attention to detail" is called OCD by others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I've got a 16 year old and here's one thing that I figured out. Nothing that me or my wife says about boys matters. Nothing. She's going to like who she likes, and talk to who she wants to talk to. We could worry ourselves to death, trying to monitor her social media, phone, etc...but at the end of the day, she's still going to do what she wants. At some point, you have to trust that you have raised them right, and believe they will make the right decisions. My 16 year has talked to a couple of boys that I didn't like. I told her as much, but also told her she would have to learn for herself...but if she wanted to see them, it would have to be at our house. They came over a couple of times, and when they learned that ole dad was going to be sitting there with them, asking questions, they suddenly no longer wanted to hang out. Weird huh? My daughter learned a valuable lesson...those boys were only out to hook up, and when they couldn't, they were gone. The boy she talks to now, I actually like. He comes over, sits down and talks, isnt trying to hide anything, etc. He opens the door for her, asks us if he can take her to the movies, etc. So I'm happy for her. If he breaks her heart (which is likely)...it will be another valuable lesson she learns. And the more of these lessons she learns, the more apprehensive and choosy she will be.

I look at it like this. You gotta pick your battles. Would I like for my 16 yr old to make straight A's? Of course. Would I like for her to not date at age 16? Absolutely. But she's been dealing with Type I diabetes since she was 8 years old, she has low vision and has to go thru special classes to get her drivers license, she has to have special treatment at school because of her low vision, etc. So I'm like "This girls been thru a ton already. She isn't doing drugs or drinking (both scare her shitless because of her diabetes). She's not pregnant. She makes decent grades. She's home on the weekends, while her friends are out partying." She's a good kid. So do I want to bust her ass 24/7 about who's she talking to? It's just not worth it (to me anyway).

I've got an 11 yr old also, that is likely going to be a little bombshell as she gets into HS. The cheerleader that everyone wants to date. I am hoping we have the same luck with her, that we've had with our 16 yr old. I am confident we will because we're involved in her life. She knows mom & dad love her unconditionally and would do anything for her. She has our attention. I think the biggest key is just being involved. Showing them how a man should treat a woman. Treating my wife like I want boys to treat them. I tell them both "don't date anyone that won't treat you like I treat your momma." They get it...or at least they say they do lol.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
I don't think it has anything to do with being alpha, more about being driven
What I'm saying is that popular culture latches on to these ideas of being the top dog, alpha, type A or whatever else they label it because they think it somehow makes them special.

Here's what type A people are really like:

In his 1996 book, Type A Behavior: Its Diagnosis and Treatment, Friedman suggests that Type A behavior is expressed in three major symptoms: (1) free-floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents; (2) time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation usually described as being "short-fused"; and (3) a competitive drive, which causes stress and an achievement-driven mentality. The first of these symptoms is believed to be covert and therefore less observable, while the other two are more overt. [5]

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I
What I'm saying is that popular culture latches on to these ideas of being the top dog, alpha, type A or whatever else they label it because they think it somehow makes them special.

Here's what type A people are really like:

In his 1996 book, Type A Behavior: Its Diagnosis and Treatment, Friedman suggests that Type A behavior is expressed in three major symptoms: (1) free-floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents; (2) time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation usually described as being "short-fused"; and (3) a competitive drive, which causes stress and an achievement-driven mentality. The first of these symptoms is believed to be covert and therefore less observable, while the other two are more overt. [5]
I am Def not short fused, maybe in my younger days. But I can see the other 2 in me

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
Thank you for your response, I was gonna PM you.

So what should I do?
The best barometer for judging your behavior is asking the people who know you best. I would find out if you're an asshole, imo. I'm not saying that to be mean, we will all have to ask someone in our lives if we suck, even if that person is a wife or family. I can't help you on being nicer, but what I will say is that if you curb some of the behaviors that make you so type A you will become nicer as a result. Look, achieving goals and being driven isn't the same thing as being pushy and impatient. Being driven is something you learn from the people around you, being a 'type' expresses itself without your input, that why it's something you get diagnosed by a Doctor.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Those used to describe me to a T.