Has anyone been competing/getting ready to compete soon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Competed in my third tourney over the weekend and finally got the gold. Happy I won but not loving how little I did compared to training. My son also took silver in go and bronze in no gi, awesome weekend overall :)

I'm going to sign up for another one on May 25th but I'm going to try and make LW. I weighed in at 177 friday night with jeans and a hoody, need to make 167.5 in about 3.5 weeks. My gi is 3.5 lbs and I've been down to 165 about two months ago.
I mentioned this to SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD a week ago and iirc Leigh @Leigh made thread about weight cut but I can't find it. Any tips would be appreciated. MW is stress free but those guys feel pretty strong.

M

member 603

Competed in my third tourney over the weekend and finally got the gold. Happy I won but not loving how little I did compared to training. My son also took silver in go and bronze in no gi, awesome weekend overall :)

I'm going to sign up for another one on May 25th but I'm going to try and make LW. I weighed in at 177 friday night with jeans and a hoody, need to make 167.5 in about 3.5 weeks. My gi is 3.5 lbs and I've been down to 165 about two months ago.
I mentioned this to SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD a week ago and iirc Leigh @Leigh made thread about weight cut but I can't find it. Any tips would be appreciated. MW is stress free but those guys feel pretty strong.
First off, congratulations, that is awesome getting that gold.

Weight cutting-

A LOT of weight cutting can be adjusted by diet. Cut out evening time carbs and starches from your meals (carb load up to about 2 PM). Eliminate all unnecessary sugars (sodas, in coffee, tea, sweets, and junk food), and increase your water intake (you'll at first feel like you're putting weight on, but you'll grow accustom and start sweating out the excess). Start eating clean (lots of healthy greens and veggies) and start limiting meal size portions (not saying starve, just no overloaded plate servings and don't go back for seconds). Do that for one week while also increasing cardio sessions on the bike or treadmill, then see where your weight stands.

I won't say that you have to go vegan or gluten free, but I'll say that into my 40's, weight cutting has never been so easy for me with my eating habits... Just saying

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Weight cutting-

A LOT of weight cutting can be adjusted by diet. Cut out evening time carbs and starches from your meals (carb load up to about 2 PM). Eliminate all unnecessary sugars (sodas, in coffee, tea, sweets, and junk food), and increase your water intake (you'll at first feel like you're putting weight on, but you'll grow accustom and start sweating out the excess). Start eating clean (lots of healthy greens and veggies) and start limiting meal size portions (not saying starve, just no overloaded plate servings and don't go back for seconds). Do that for one week while also increasing cardio sessions on the bike or treadmill, then see where your weight stands.

I won't say that you have to go vegan or gluten free, but I'll say that into my 40's, weight cutting has never been so easy for me with my eating habits... Just saying
Thanks man. I'm thinking that jist tightening up my diet should be suffice bit I may need to use the sauna for 3-5 pounds the night before. I'll be 39 on the 14th, am 5'11" so 265 isn't a big stretch imo. I usually eat pretty good and burn cals at work. I'm assuming just by doing more and eating better I should be ok.

When I started BJJ about 18 months ago I was 195 and wore an A3 gi. Just last night I had to shrink my new A2 top as the sleeves were a bit long. Big shout out to my man Pitbull9 @Pitbull9 who honestly kick started my mid life fitness revolution. He got me from 200 to 175 in three months and feeling better than I had in years. His help combined with BJJ as got me beating up the youngsters and living a healthier life. Much love bros.

M

member 603

Thanks man. I'm thinking that jist tightening up my diet should be suffice bit I may need to use the sauna for 3-5 pounds the night before. I'll be 39 on the 14th, am 5'11" so 265 isn't a big stretch imo. I usually eat pretty good and burn cals at work. I'm assuming just by doing more and eating better I should be ok.

When I started BJJ about 18 months ago I was 195 and wore an A3 gi. Just last night I had to shrink my new A2 top as the sleeves were a bit long. Big shout out to my man Pitbull9 @Pitbull9 who honestly kick started my mid life fitness revolution. He got me from 200 to 175 in three months and feeling better than I had in years. His help combined with BJJ as got me beating up the youngsters and living a healthier life. Much love bros.
Oh of course, look I went full vegan for this last tournament, lost 12 lbs, and still did a sauna twice.... However that was to melt 4 lbs (and to help muscle soreness).... I see guys trying to cut 10-25 lbs, but never adjusting their diets, just dehydrating themselves to death.... Cut the carbs and starches, increase plant based proteins (which have the same effect as animal based) like the Spinach, Green Pea Protein, Kale.... Nuts and Legumes... Healthy fruit for sugars and carbs (berries, acai, bananas, apples)..... Your typical training regiment plus add on that treadmill or bike for 15-30 mins.... Your weight "cut" should be minimal, and you'll have more energy.

And after your next gold medal, celebrate by downing a steak..... HOWEVER BE WARNED!!!! Logic kicked in for me when I started this 10 years ago.... If I felt better eating like this, kept weight off, was able to actually eat and not starve, and still perform at a high level..... Why go back to eating meat?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Oh of course, look I went full vegan for this last tournament, lost 12 lbs, and still did a sauna twice.... However that was to melt 4 lbs (and to help muscle soreness).... I see guys trying to cut 10-25 lbs, but never adjusting their diets, just dehydrating themselves to death.... Cut the carbs and starches, increase plant based proteins (which have the same effect as animal based) like the Spinach, Green Pea Protein, Kale.... Nuts and Legumes... Healthy fruit for sugars and carbs (berries, acai, bananas, apples)..... Your typical training regiment plus add on that treadmill or bike for 15-30 mins.... Your weight "cut" should be minimal, and you'll have more energy.

And after your next gold medal, celebrate by downing a steak..... HOWEVER BE WARNED!!!! Logic kicked in for me when I started this 10 years ago.... If I felt better eating like this, kept weight off, was able to actually eat and not starve, and still perform at a high level..... Why go back to eating meat?
Oh man that last semtesen is so true. It's like listening to s omers who "quit" then "reward" themselves with one or two on a drinking night. Going back to poisoning yourself isn't a reward! I'm eating about more red meat lately but that's still like only twice a month. From now to the tourney it'll be everything you mentioned about with some white fish and prawns. I think I'll feel like the Hulk at LW.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
so 265 isn't a big stretch imo
I agree, making 265 should be a breeze!

Seriously, I agree with what @Rhino said. You aren’t really cutting, you are just dieting down a few pounds. With the changes laid out above, you likely won’t be cutting water weight at all. Losing the little bit of extra weight that we all gain back so easily in our middle age (I’m almost 45) gets harder and harder; but on the other hand competing regularly and needing to make weight helps keep the additional pounds to a minimum since I can’t gain weight for a year or more using the “I’m bulking” excuse. That has helped me maintain a reasonable body weight and composition over the years.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I do judo once a week with some kids and entered a comp on Saturday and won :) I had to give away weight and expected to get bashed cos I'm not very good at judo, so I'm pretty happy.

I made a thread before:

Body fat loss

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I have a comp June 8th and June 22nd. I am coming in this time on another level of conditioning. The suffering is about to begin. 5 more lbs and I will be close to crazy looking.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Bombed out at the IBJJF Atlanta Open today. Very frustrating. Hit a pretty clean Uchi Mata, but he rolled through and got on top but low on legs. I went for a loop choke as he pressed forward, missed it, got back to half and as I was setting up my sweep he sank in a deep fist in Ezekiel that I could not fight off.
To make matters worse, the blue belt who came down with me got DQ’d by the scale, despite some warnings from me last night and again this AM that he was heavy. At least we know he will never have that happen again.

M

member 603

Bombed out at the IBJJF Atlanta Open today. Very frustrating. Hit a pretty clean Uchi Mata, but he rolled through and got on top but low on legs. I went for a loop choke as he pressed forward, missed it, got back to half and as I was setting up my sweep he sank in a deep fist in Ezekiel that I could not fight off.
To make matters worse, the blue belt who came down with me got DQ’d by the scale, despite some warnings from me last night and again this AM that he was heavy. At least we know he will never have that happen again.
Damn Doc, sorry about the rough day, we all have them, but way to be consistent out there in competing. And I'd rather go out fighting and battling like you did, than win safe.... Great work.

As for your boy who was DQ'ed for missing weight... Hopefully the $100 plus that he lost on this is a lesson for him.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017

Weight cutting-

This is what I did last year. Going from Featherweight to Light Featherweight in about 3 weeks, for a Master 4 guy. I never felt better too. What I found, after the fact, is that it's easier to keep off, now I can hover about 4-5 lbs over and just quickly clean up and drop it for competitions.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Got bronze yesterday. First match ended 0-0 but ref gave him the nod for being more aggressive (my coach chirped the ref on my behalf which was nice to hear as he was sure I had it). Won my second match with a sequence I hit training lots. Side control, knee on belly, mount, let him roll enough to gift wrap, take the back, body triangle then tapped him with an RNC.

This was my best tourney experience yet. Felt like I went through the whole process much more dedicated the others ones. LW is definitely my division and like jasonhightower @jasonhightower said now that's it's off I should be able to maintain it and just trim up a bit leading in. Next event is in my town June 29th and it's a sub only. They ask for weight prediction then put divisions in groups of five trying to gather same size and rank, don't think they seperate the adults form masters.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Now that I'm fINALLY on the upside of healing from injury, infection and surgeries, I will slooooowly be getting back to this BJJ thing.
I aim to compete perhaps by the end of the year. I have a looong road back, but I am going to do it.

Insha Allah.

M

member 603

I'm signing up for the July 27/28 IBJJF Orlando International Gi and No Gi event... Looking forward to doing back to back days of competing

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I have a sub only tourney this weekend. Sons in it too and doing gi and no gi. Afaik it's five people per bracket, no age groups from late teens up to masters and they just group you with closest in weight. Round robin so you arch everyone, one point for a draw and two points if you get the finish. Kill or be killed!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Great day of BJJ. My son took gold in the gi after having an OT round and silver in no gi. All the kids in no gi around here generally come from Toshidos (Rory's Mac's old gym) and they never train in the gi. Super proud my kid could hang with them as he rarely trains no gi.

I took bronze. Obviously hoping for better but I learned a lot lol. Dude got me with an Ezekiel in my first, I had a draw in my next and caught my last guy with an Ezekiel. I had it applies from Mount and he rolled me over and I pulled him in right from guard. I'll take it!

M

member 603

Fun day, came in third in my division at the IBJJF Orlando Summer International.. Lost by disadvantage to Brian Edwards from Swampfox BJJ in SC ( SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD do you know him?). Looking forward to getting back out again soon.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Fun day, came in third in my division at the IBJJF Orlando Summer International.. Lost by disadvantage to Brian Edwards from Swampfox BJJ in SC ( SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD do you know him?). Looking forward to getting back out again soon.

Yes, I know him. He is a good dude. I thought that was you in the picture he posted on his Facebook today. He is a surprisingly large and good school in a fairly small town in central SC.
Good work today.

M

member 603

Coaching my team today and got a chance to meet Claudia do Val.... She's an absolute darling person, we had a chance to talk for a while, may try to get her in for a seminar soon.