Has anyone been competing/getting ready to compete soon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Just want to know who's getting ready for upcoming tournaments. I just brought 5 of my kids comp group out to the BJJ Tour last weekend in Florida, we finished with 4 golds and 1 silver.

Now we're getting ready for MMAC Grappling on April 2nd, and I'll probably compete at this event too.

Anyone else?

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I just finished 2nd at my first competition. 2nd out of 2 in my division...lol. I mistakenly signed up in the adult divison instead of the masters, and got worn the hell out by some 20 year old hopped up on Meth. I wasn't prepared for the intensity level. Lesson learned. I plan to compete another 3-4 times this year. Go Old Man Jitz!!!

M

member 603

I just finished 2nd at my first competition. 2nd out of 2 in my division...lol. I mistakenly signed up in the adult divison instead of the masters, and got worn the hell out by some 20 year old hopped up on Meth. I wasn't prepared for the intensity level. Lesson learned. I plan to compete another 3-4 times this year. Go Old Man Jitz!!!
Man I feel you there.... I'm in great shape and will be 40 in a few months... Last tournament I signed up for only had a 6'5" 250 lbs YOKED 23 year old black belt... I'm like nah man, I got stuff to do tonight so I'm not fighting him LOL... He was mad cool about it, he was super respectful and told the tournament guy "Why would I want to fight a guy I'm 40 lbs heavier and 16 years younger than?"..... We laughed and went and got lunch together

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Resurrecting this old thread.

Just competed at the IBJJF Atlanta open. Lost my first match in Gi to the same guy that beat me at blue belt last year, and again he went on to win the division. I felt like I performed better this time, but he is just significantly better and faster than I am.
Came in third no-gi today. Interesting tid-bit, the guy who came in second in the no-gi division competed against Anthony Bourdain at the NY open just before he got his purple belt.
Back at it tomorrow to try to stand a little higher on the podium next time. Unfortunately I can't do the Charlotte Open in a few weeks because I am on call, so it looks like smaller tournaments for me until the Atlanta Winter Open.

Bozy

OOHH YOU DIDNT KNOW!?
Feb 22, 2015
Good on you for competing my man. My buddy came in second today at the same event. Not sure the division tho

M

member 603

Resurrecting this old thread.

Just competed at the IBJJF Atlanta open. Lost my first match in Gi to the same guy that beat me at blue belt last year, and again he went on to win the division. I felt like I performed better this time, but he is just significantly better and faster than I am.
Came in third no-gi today. Interesting tid-bit, the guy who came in second in the no-gi division competed against Anthony Bourdain at the NY open just before he got his purple belt.
Back at it tomorrow to try to stand a little higher on the podium next time. Unfortunately I can't do the Charlotte Open in a few weeks because I am on call, so it looks like smaller tournaments for me until the Atlanta Winter Open.

This is awesome, way to go. I just coached my kids competition team over the weekend to 6 golds, 3 silvers, and a bronze at the Art of Grappling event in Tampa. Next tournament for me and them is November 5th (my first one with the 40 year old crowd).

There's no better feeling/learning lesson/personal growth realization/community growth than competing.... Keep at it as long as you can.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
There's no better feeling/learning lesson/personal growth realization/community growth than competing.... Keep at it as long as you can.
I have found competing to be very important for my development. I train with a different attitude as competitions approach, and come back from the tournament with things to work on in class.
Now that I am 42, having a reason to be 181.5 pounds or less a few times a year is probably a really good thing as well, it keeps me from gaining a few pounds every year and being 200+ by now.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I am heading down to Atlanta tomorrow for the Kakuto Challenge, a sub-only tournament with a great ruleset. Should be fun, hopefully my knee holds out.

M

member 603

I am heading down to Atlanta tomorrow for the Kakuto Challenge, a sub-only tournament with a great ruleset. Should be fun, hopefully my knee holds out.
Nice, best of everything.... I was going to head up to ATL for that, but it's my Birthday tomorrow and that took precedence over it.... Post some pics here

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Daniel O'Brien repeated as the men's absolute champion with a win in the finals over Tex Johnson. The regular tournament is just starting now.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I came in second in a 2 man division in the Masters Advanced 185 and under no-gi division. They do small divisions round robin (3 competitors) or best of 3 (2 competitors). I finally hit a clean throw in a tournament, but I could not control my guy on the ground and lost the first by armbar and the second by triangle. I love this format; this has been the best run tournament I have ever seen, and everyone is having a good time.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

Unfortunately, the guy who threw started having back spasms after the match from the collar ties and the throw, and he had to drop out of the gi division (we were the only two in the Masters advanced 185 and under bracket). I was able to move up in weight and wound up with more matches. I had what I feel is my best performance ever in a tournament against one of the bigger guys, staying on top and in control throughout the regulation 8 mins, but I could not finish my armbar from spider web in OT, and when we reversed positions he broke my grip almost instantly and finished his armbar. I highly recommend their tournaments if you ever get a chance to do one.

M

member 603

Unfortunately, the guy who threw started having back spasms after the match from the collar ties and the throw, and he had to drop out of the gi division (we were the only two in the Masters advanced 185 and under bracket). I was able to move up in weight and wound up with more matches. I had what I feel is my best performance ever in a tournament against one of the bigger guys, staying on top and in control throughout the regulation 8 mins, but I could not finish my armbar from spider web in OT, and when we reversed positions he broke my grip almost instantly and finished his armbar. I highly recommend their tournaments if you ever get a chance to do one.

Congrats Bro, it's great to hear that it was such a blast (wins and losses). Keep on competing as long as you can. November 5th in Lakeland I have a Copa Tournament coming up, my first in the 40+ group... Then December 2 & 3 in Miami, the big NAGA nationals too. It's great at our age we still have that competitive drive (in what truly is a young man's game). Seeing that guys in our age demographic still compete is an inspiration to me after all these years

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Scene here has been quiet over summer. I just won a local comp in London. Got the English Open next week, Celtic Open the week after, then a couple of local comps in Dec. I'm using it all as prep for the Europeans.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Was about to go home but got called in for a no gi match. Won by RNC :)
Congrats Leigh......saw that you also added some coaching advice to someone (sorry I don't know him) who was grateful for your support - on Facebook

M

member 603

I got some good Halloween rolling in, I may compete Saturday in a local tournament..... Depends, I've got I believe 12-15 kids competing that day, and coaching them all is exhausting (plus I don't really get a chance to warm up or just relax before I have to go).... But I always bring my stuff, if an opportunity presents itself, I may take some matches

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Might be doing a local next weekend. Doesn't seem to be any guys in my old man bracket :(. So I might jump in with the young'uns :leftright:. We'll see.

M

member 603

Might be doing a local next weekend. Doesn't seem to be any guys in my old man bracket :(. So I might jump in with the young'uns :leftright:. We'll see.
Yeah I hear you, i'm in the 40+ division now and it seems like it's gotten really thin in competitors LOL, so I gotta go battle 20 year old black belts..... I hate them :rage::grinning:

T

The Big Guy

Just got 1st at a grappling games event on oct 15. Of 6 teammates 5 of us took 1st place. Next is naga in miami on dec 3 and 4

M

member 603

Just got 1st at a grappling games event on oct 15. Of 6 teammates 5 of us took 1st place. Next is naga in miami on dec 3 and 4
Where do you train in Florida? I'm probably bringing my team down there for that event on Saturday, and competing on Sunday.