Has anyone ever competed in a Judo or Sambo tournament?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

I know a bunch of us have done BJJ tournaments, but I'm wondering if anyone has competed in any other style grappling tournament. (For now we'll leave out HS wrestling)

M

member 603

Also, if you have AND have done a BJJ tournament, how the experiences differ

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I have competed in Judo tournaments as a kid, just locally here in Germany though. Don't think I can contribute much to this thread. :)
You go there, get weighed, fight a couple times, victory ceremony. That's it.

M

member 603

Berlin, Berlin. :D
What did you do here and where? Cool stuff.
I was in Berlin a bit, mostly down in Frankfurt, Freiburg, Stuttgart, and Rust..... I was the project director for a horror event in Europa Park, and I was the bassist for a musician there... 2008-2011, good times

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Interesting question, and I'd like to see some responses. I get the impression they're fairly similar.

mmacburt

Apr 13, 2016
I got my brown belt in Judo from a Judo master and after training and working with his guys....I would definitely wait a while until I compete in Judo. I'm a BJJ Black Belt but some of those high level Judo guys could do some real damage.

M

member 603

I got my brown belt in Judo from a Judo master and after training and working with his guys....I would definitely wait a while until I compete in Judo. I'm a BJJ Black Belt but some of those high level Judo guys could do some real damage.
Nice, who's your black belt under? Always great to see other BB's on here

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
My kids have competed in wrestling, BJJ, and no-gi grappling for years with a good amount of success. They had their first judo class last week, so I have to learn a bunch of new stuff. The instructor handed my oldest a list of Japanese terms and told him, "Learn all of these words and I'll give you a yellow belt."

IIRC, it's easier to advance in judo than in BJJ, but is that normal? Granted, he obviously wants them to compete for his team in judo, and it would be tremendous sandbagging to match them up against white belts when their background allowed them to dominate the orange belts in randori. I know a BJJ instructor who has promoted wrestlers to blue for competition purposes, but there are kids in this class who have been practicing for a year and are still white belts.

Also, is it true that subs are not allowed in kids judo comps? Mine are used to going for pins instead of subs from their wrestling matches, but it seems kinda weird that my 9YO won't be allowed to armbar other 9YOs, when he was doing that at age 5 in BJJ comps and NAGA.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I've competed in BJJ, judo and wrestling. Different rules, same deal. Beat the other guy. Happy to answer any specific questions but I don't think there's much to tell.

mko

Nov 19, 2015
I've competed in BJJ, judo and wrestling. Different rules, same deal. Beat the other guy. Happy to answer any specific questions but I don't think there's much to tell.
Leigh, just curious how much opportunities are there to train wrestling in UK?
During your MMA prime, did you train wrestling outside your fight gym?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh, just curious how much opportunities are there to train wrestling in UK?
During your MMA prime, did you train wrestling outside your fight gym?
I did but it was difficult and not like wrestling practise in the US. It was much closer to a recreational judo class. High level wrestling doesn't exist here. There are a few good wrestlers but nowhere to train in a high level competitive environment.

mko

Nov 19, 2015
Interesting, thanks for the reply. UK has it's share of immigrants from Iran so I had imagined there'd be some wrestling activity.

How'd you feel your MMA wrestling matched up with guys who had wrestling background?

mko

Nov 19, 2015
I checked the UK amateur wrestling team. Mike Grundy is their 74kg guy in freestyle. Also a MMA fighter.
Commonwealth games field some serious talent since India and Canada produce some quality freestyle guys.

UK seems to be developing their wrestling slowly but surely.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
BJJ poor organizing, lotsa ego, shitty judging, if your coach is Brazilian extra points

Judo the opposite.

This is my personal experience from the early 00s

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
By extra points I mean Brazilianity supercedes the refs authority

I.got.points taken for double legging my opponent moving to sc then standing up over and over. "Unsportsmanlike " apparently.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Interesting, thanks for the reply. UK has it's share of immigrants from Iran so I had imagined there'd be some wrestling activity.

How'd you feel your MMA wrestling matched up with guys who had wrestling background?
Before I wrestled, it matched up poorly. MMA wrestling is quicker to pick up than freestyle, as it's not much more than learning base and a few takedowns. Clinch is different, ground work is different, fence work is very different. So once I started to wrestle, I faired much better. I even took down Mike Brown, although he clearly out wrestled me.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Haven't competed in a Judo tournament, but I have trained with high-level/ex-international Judo guys on a regular basis.

Those dudes were SO strong and skilful. Ex-Algerian B-Team members, Ex- British national squad members, Military level...

Got my butt kicked but learned a HECK of a lot from them. Very graceful people, very tough people, and great to roll with.

Never did do a tournament, but I do feel that I would have done pretty well, but I'm a Heavyweight and I know that if I went UP in the air, man, I'd have known about it! Haha. Heavyweights in Judo with decent skill tend to send others airborne.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Haven't competed in a Judo tournament, but I have trained with high-level/ex-international Judo guys on a regular basis.

Those dudes were SO strong and skilful. Ex-Algerian B-Team members, Ex- British national squad members, Military level...

Got my butt kicked but learned a HECK of a lot from them. Very graceful people, very tough people, and great to roll with.

Never did do a tournament, but I do feel that I would have done pretty well, but I'm a Heavyweight and I know that if I went UP in the air, man, I'd have known about it! Haha. Heavyweights in Judo with decent skill tend to send others airborne.
Agreed judokas are scary people.

I rolled with a judo guy a few weeks back. He had a great base and posture. I couldn't even budge him let alone sweep him. His game was pretty basic but it was effective. His side control was nasty.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
My bro was #5 in the world Judo when he was 14-17

he is a brazilian short jungle built dude

We would wrestle and he would rip my shirt by accident as he threw me about

could throw me and catch me so I didn't get hurt...was hilarious

Last edited:

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Agreed judokas are scary people.

I rolled with a judo guy a few weeks back. He had a great base and posture. I couldn't even budge him let alone sweep him. His game was pretty basic but it was effective. His side control was nasty.
Man, I know that feeling!

A Judoka that good balance balance and is strong? Good luck moving them!