Has the UFC Devolved Into the Ultimate Fighting Circus?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
http://www.cagepotato.com/has-the-ufc-devolved-into-the-ultimate-fighting-circus/

Mixed martial arts has always felt like a kind of fighting utopia. A permanent dream state for lovers of fight sports that occasionally seems almost too good to be true. In a sanitised world, it is the closest and most acceptable iteration of the “no holds barred” concept of combat all fight purists have wet dreams about. Two elite combatants. One locked cage. Very few rules. The best fighter wins, right?

Oh wait, no. We’re back in the land of fantasy again. In fact, with the cold hindsight of UFC 183 and many other recent revelations that are presently clouding the MMA horizon, we’re no longer dreaming or fantasising. We’re standing in a stark reality. And the reality is that MMA – or more specifically, MMA’s standard-bearer and aggressively-insistent market leader, the UFC – is beginning to resemble a bit of a circus.

“But everyone loves a circus!” I hear you cry. Kids loves the circus. Kids up to the age of about 10 love the circus. Right before it becomes socially shameful to admire any form of staged artifice that isn’t the WWE. And increasingly, that is how it feels for all MMA fans. We’re just witnesses to one big sanctioned joke and we’re the dumb people in the audience buying the whole thing. The WWE joke just became the MMA joke.

Read the entire article. Pretty good stuff.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I stopped when he started talking for all fans and made sweeping statements about the UFC being a circus with no explanation as to why 'all MMA fans' feel that way. Is any of the rest of it worth reading or is it just a hyperbole filled rant like I expect?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Zeph;n21698 said:
I stopped when he started talking for all fans and made sweeping statements about the UFC being a circus with no explanation as to why 'all MMA fans' feel that way. Is any of the rest of it worth reading or is it just a hyperbole filled rant like I expect?
You have to take Cage Potato for what they are...extremes, generalizations, and humor. I always enjoy their stuff because I never take it too seriously.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I Wild Each It;n21700 said:
You have to take Cage Potato for what they are...extremes, generalizations, and humor. I always enjoy their stuff because I never take it too seriously.
It is by a Cage Potato reader, they made sure not to attach their name to it, too much.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Zeph;n21713 said:
It is by a Cage Potato reader, they made sure not to attach their name to it, too much.
LOL ok, well there ya go then. Cage Potato writes very similar stuff, so I honestly wouldn't have known the difference. Like I said, I browse their site from time to time, for pure entertainment purposes. If I want legit MMA news, I will look at MMA Fighting, MMA Junkie, or Bloody Elbow.