Society Hate crimes up for third year in a row: FBI

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
America in general has a problem, it has nothing to do with partisan politics.
I don't disagree that it's a problem, but do you think it's actually gotten worse or that the reporting of events as a hate crime is what has increased?

Meaning an event 20 years ago would have been labeled as assault but today it's labeled as a hate crime. The crime didn't change. Our classification of it did.

M

member 3289

The fact is that the reporting of hate crimes has increased and that's why we're seeing these numbers.

But if you grew up in the U.S. then you know very well that there is an almost inherent problem of racism among the baby boomer and subsequent generations.

How many white Americans can honestly say they grew up without witnessing any racism? Even if one of your parents wasn't racist (like one of mine was), you likely had a neighbor or other relative who was.

Definitely more common in the South than in other places, but overt racism exists everywhere.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The fact is that the reporting of hate crimes has increased and that's why we're seeing these numbers.

But if you grew up in the U.S. then you know very well that there is an almost inherent problem of racism among the baby boomer and subsequent generations.

How many white Americans can honestly say they grew up without witnessing any racism? Even if one of your parents wasn't racist (like one of mine was), you likely had a neighbor or other relative who was.

Definitely more common in the South than in other places, but overt racism exists everywhere.
Cliffs?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
News flash - a lot of Americans are anti-Semitic

Traditionally though that came from far right. It's now hip to hate Jews. These anti-Israel campaigns spark anti-semiticism from the left since they are infatuated with their Muslim cuddle project. It would explain the numbers in OP. Of course this stems from colleges where liberal groups and pro-palestinian groups help to set the tone.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Traditionally though that came from far right. It's now hip to hate Jews. These anti-Israel campaigns spark anti-semiticism from the left since they are infatuated with their Muslim cuddle project. It would explain the numbers in OP. Of course this stems from colleges where liberal groups and pro-palestinian groups help to set the tone.
Jews are also being shoved into the "white" category.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Anti-Israel hate from 'the left' you say?

Eight Celebs that Helped Raise $60M for the IDF Right Before It Launched an Attack on Gaza

Last edited:

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I don't disagree that it's a problem, but do you think it's actually gotten worse or that the reporting of events as a hate crime is what has increased?

Meaning an event 20 years ago would have been labeled as assault but today it's labeled as a hate crime. The crime didn't change. Our classification of it did.
I dont know. I mentioned this at the start of the thread.

Just because rates of reported crimes have increased, it doesnt mean the rates of criminal activity have actually increased. It could very well be due to an increase in awareness around the laws or the fact Hate Crimes have become more 'mainstream' knowledge with increased agencies prosecuting them.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Physically attacking someone because of their race, religion or sexual preference is unfathomable to me.

The fact that it happens at all is pretty fucking sad. You have to have a lot of hate - and ignorance - in your heart to do shit like that.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Physically attacking someone because of their race, religion or sexual preference is unfathomable to me.

The fact that it happens at all is pretty fucking sad. You have to have a lot of hate - and ignorance - in your heart to do shit like that.
I’d probably attach me

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I know most hate crimes in Canada are anti-Semitic. It is skyrocketing in Europe too.
An increase in hate-crimes based on religion and race
Two major factor explain the increase—an uptick in religiously-based and race-based hate crimes. Nearly 50 per cent of all hate crimes reported in Canada in 2015 were motivated by hatred of race or ethnicity.

The largest increase in religiously-based hate crimes was against Muslims (an increase of 61 per cent to 159 incidents) and Catholics (a 57 per cent increase to 55 incidents). Jewish people faced the highest level of religiously motivated hate crimes (178 incidents) despite seeing a 16 per cent drop over the two years.

Hate crimes targeting Blacks were still the highest of all racially or ethnically motivated crimes in 2015 (224 incidents), though that was down slightly from the year before.

Hate crimes targeting sexual orientation fell by nine per cent between 2014 and 2015.

A closer look at the rise in hate crimes in Canada - Macleans.ca

M

member 1013

An increase in hate-crimes based on religion and race
Two major factor explain the increase—an uptick in religiously-based and race-based hate crimes. Nearly 50 per cent of all hate crimes reported in Canada in 2015 were motivated by hatred of race or ethnicity.

The largest increase in religiously-based hate crimes was against Muslims (an increase of 61 per cent to 159 incidents) and Catholics (a 57 per cent increase to 55 incidents). Jewish people faced the highest level of religiously motivated hate crimes (178 incidents) despite seeing a 16 per cent drop over the two years.

Hate crimes targeting Blacks were still the highest of all racially or ethnically motivated crimes in 2015 (224 incidents), though that was down slightly from the year before.

Hate crimes targeting sexual orientation fell by nine per cent between 2014 and 2015.

A closer look at the rise in hate crimes in Canada - Macleans.ca
You should have highlighted the blacks part too dawg.

Dats a lot of incidents

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You should have highlighted the blacks part too dawg.

Dats a lot of incidents
I was focusing on how your post was correct for once. The actual hate crimes don't pique my interest.