General HD antenna?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Anyone have or know anything about HD antennas? Looking into getting one for the main tv. We cut the cord this year and just want to have one to watch regular channels every once in awhile. Mohu and Clearstream are two that I am considering.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
just a regular antenna is what you want

I think HD is just a marketing ploy...the signal is broadcast in 1080P I believe, and you pick it up or not

I watch my sunday football on an old one that is hooked to my TV and it comes in like Gold

maybe the ones you listed are better at receiving signal though

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
If you have internet at your house, just spend money on an android box, firestick or fire tv ($35-$100, depending on what you choose). The only difference in price will be the memory, procssor speed and brand, but they all do the same thing - stream. Then you can download sources for free tv, movies, and tv series (they ar called apk's, but just think of them as apps). Even if you don't kniw anything a out it, setup is easy and the are tons of tutorials on youtube. I can point you in the right direction for tutorials if you want.
Aside from the initial purchase of the android box, there are no other fees as long as you have internet.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
If you have internet at your house, just spend money on an android box, firestick or fire tv ($35-$100, depending on what you choose). The only difference in price will be the memory, procssor speed and brand, but they all do the same thing - stream. Then you can download sources for free tv, movies, and tv series (they ar called apk's, but just think of them as apps). Even if you don't kniw anything a out it, setup is easy and the are tons of tutorials on youtube. I can point you in the right direction for tutorials if you want.
Aside from the initial purchase of the android box, there are no other fees as long as you have internet.
Just seen a review of an Android box that has my attention.

View: https://youtu.be/on5I4KJfulw

My 2nd Gen Chromecast is close to sh!tting the bed.

Not a bad product or so the guy says.

Thoughts?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

Thoughts?
Doesn't look like a bad package, however I'm not a fan of everything Google has been doing by tracking people, so I personally wouldn't be on the market for this box. Newtechevolution on youtube does reviews and tutorials on products as well as apk's. I'd probably stop by hiss channel first if I was on the market for a new box. There is another guy that does reviews as well named techdoctoruk. He has solid info as well.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

Thoughts?
In a quick glance at Amazon in the $60 price range, this looks like a better product, unless you really want chromecast.

View: https://www.amazon.com/Android-Leelbox-Quad-Core-2-4GHz-Support/dp/B07FNQTLF4/ref=sr_1_33?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543894490&sr=1-33&keywords=Android+box

And this is older technology, but is also a solid box for $60

View: https://www.amazon.com/GooBang-Doo-Android-Bluetooth-Processor/dp/B076KHQKZZ/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543894950&sr=1-19&keywords=Beelink

M

member 3289

Whatever you buy, you're gonna need to position the antenna close to a window to get the best signal possible.

This is what I bought for $20 on Amazon:

It serves its purpose, but I had to reposition the antenna multiple times in order to get a clear signal of my local Fox AND abc affiliates. If there's any obstruction, you may it may not get a signal depending on how far away the signal is from your home.

Looking back, I'd prob get one with a greater range. Even though all the local broadcast signals are within range, I had to position my antenna on the outside of my window in order to get a clear signal on every local channel.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I picked up a cheap one off of amazon for like $20. Works fine when I unsubscribe from PS Vue from May to Sept (non college basketball and football months). When we subscribe to PS Vue, it comes with all local channels, so I don’t use it.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Whatever you buy, you're gonna need to position the antenna close to a window to get the best signal possible.

This is what I bought for $20 on Amazon:

It serves its purpose, but I had to reposition the antenna multiple times in order to get a clear signal of my local Fox AND abc affiliates. If there's any obstruction, you may it may not get a signal depending on how far away the signal is from your home.

Looking back, I'd prob get one with a greater range. Even though all the local broadcast signals are within range, I had to position my antenna on the outside of my window in order to get a clear signal on every local channel.
K

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Anyone have or know anything about HD antennas? Looking into getting one for the main tv. We cut the cord this year and just want to have one to watch regular channels every once in awhile. Mohu and Clearstream are two that I am considering.
Use this to help find out what channels are in your range as well.

DTV Reception Maps

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Thoughts?
For netflix, kodi and similar apps it works perfect, the only thing that's a bit strange is it doesn't have chrome browser, but you can sideload it.
For a few bucks extra you can buy an airmouse/keyboard remote and this makes the box pretty good.

Combine that with a cheapass chinese IPTV subscription from aliexpress and you have about 4500 of world channels including USA channels for under $40 a year.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks to all who replied. We have a Nvidia and will look into APKs(?). Getting a HD antenna today. Will let you know how it goes. We have a VPN as well; should we turn that off while doing this?

M

member 3289

We have a VPN as well; should we turn that off while doing this?
Run a speed test with the VPN on and then with it off.

If the speed difference is significant, I'd say turn it off. If not, leave it on.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Thanks to all who replied. We have a Nvidia and will look into APKs(?). Getting a HD antenna today. Will let you know how it goes. We have a VPN as well; should we turn that off while doing this?
If you are in the United States, no need for a VPN currently. If you are in the UK the VPN is a must have as their laws deem streaming illegal.

For Apk's, download filelinked first (filelinked.com), then it's a matter of going to someone's store and downloading what you want. every "store" (think of it as someone's library to host app downloads) will have various options from movies and tv shows, to live tv, to kodi builds, to whatever. you find what you want, click download, then when it's done click install. once I stalled click close and it takes you right back to the filelinked store so you can download your next all. rinse, repeat. it makes installing super easy, plus tons of sources in a one stop shop (no coat though). you may end up installing an apk that requires a membership and monthly fee. get rid of that motherfuckers and move onto the next.

Here is a good store with lots of options: 56001333

Once you have downloaded what you want from a store, hit the back button to exit. it will ask if you want to put in a new code. select yes. now that you're on the code screen again, toggle up to the trashcan and click it. this will free up memory by deleting the temp files that were created for the installation of apk's.