Personal Heading to the Big Easy, What Do?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
It was SOOOOO fucking fresh and delicious. Citrus oil, hibiscus flowers, ate it before I could take a pic.

Dessert inbound, bartender's choice
Be aware too that a lot of NOLA restaurants will be more of a Creole flavor. These days there’s not much difference, but it’s there. Like they use tomatoes in their gumbo over there and that shit will get you shanked over in my area lol. I’m from the area the Acadians(Cajuns) settled, whereas NOLA was a melting pot of French, Spanish, etc.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
It was SOOOOO fucking fresh and delicious. Citrus oil, hibiscus flowers, ate it before I could take a pic.

Dessert inbound, bartender's choice
Yeah, I don’t blame you for eating before taking a picture. If I ever go to NOLA, I’ll have to go get that.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Grabbed a cafe du lait and a bag of beignets. This pic could have been taken 20 years ago...kind of a surreal time-machine morning.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
good ol' fashioned gully-washer today. Went to the WWII museum, good stuff if you're in to WWII or World History. Decided to go grab lunch, but got dumped on half way. Ducked under some construction and shot the shit with a bunch of AA/Hispanic construction workers. None of them were from NO, all moved there after Katrina and had been working construction ever since. I guess the one guy's wife was from Louisiana, but they were in Detroit and moved here for work.

I felt the wind change and thought I could make it to the lunch spot, so I dipped. But I was very very wrong. It came torrential, I got soaked. I ducked under cover at Ugly Dog Saloon, they had some canopies set up for outside catering. The rain really started picking up, flooding the street, so I stepped up by the door. Lady in front of me asks if I'm background. "No, I'm 'get out of the rain'." She said they were shooting and she thought she recognized me as someone from "Background" - these are the people that walk around in the background on the street in movies, as she informed me. Apparently, they're shooting a Russell Crowe movie called "Unhinged" about a 'road rage gone wrong'. The restaurant is closed, they're catering the movie. Then she asks me what I'm doing this afternoon - "Not much, grab some lunch." She says "you should come hang out and be background". I just kind of laughed and told her that 'not much is still more than that'.

I was there for about half hour, then it lightened up just a bit and I said screw it and darted for lunch on the other side of the small creek that used to be a street. No way to the door that wasn't walking through 6" of water, but I was already pretty wet. And a perk of AirBnB is that I get a dryer in the apartment. Good grub at Cochon Butcher. The service sucked but the manager offered to buy my lunch. Brought me a bunch of extra stuff, totally turned it around. Even though he comped me the meal, I put nice tip in the jar.

Some things haven't changed, the areas off Bourbon street seem less sketchy. But the bums are less "hustling street people" and more "addiction/mental health beggars". Used to be that you couldn't walk a city block without someone trying to strike up a conversation and sell you their rap CD or a cheap necklace or tell you a joke for a couple bucks. Now it's just guys standing on the corner with "need money" signs. Did see one dude pushing around 2 pitbulls in a wheelchair (the dogs in the chair) and he had a sign about "USMC - can't work because PTSD" and then the word 'dysfunctional' in quotes. So I guess scaring the tourists will still get you some bucks in the Quarter. :) One hobo did strike up a conversation with me and hit me up for cash or food, so I gave him a beignet.

It's still New Orleans.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
good ol' fashioned gully-washer today. Went to the WWII museum, good stuff if you're in to WWII or World History. Decided to go grab lunch, but got dumped on half way. Ducked under some construction and shot the shit with a bunch of AA/Hispanic construction workers. None of them were from NO, all moved there after Katrina and had been working construction ever since. I guess the one guy's wife was from Louisiana, but they were in Detroit and moved here for work.

I felt the wind change and thought I could make it to the lunch spot, so I dipped. But I was very very wrong. It came torrential, I got soaked. I ducked under cover at Ugly Dog Saloon, they had some canopies set up for outside catering. The rain really started picking up, flooding the street, so I stepped up by the door. Lady in front of me asks if I'm background. "No, I'm 'get out of the rain'." She said they were shooting and she thought she recognized me as someone from "Background" - these are the people that walk around in the background on the street in movies, as she informed me. Apparently, they're shooting a Russell Crowe movie called "Unhinged" about a 'road rage gone wrong'. The restaurant is closed, they're catering the movie. Then she asks me what I'm doing this afternoon - "Not much, grab some lunch." She says "you should come hang out and be background". I just kind of laughed and told her that 'not much is still more than that'.

I was there for about half hour, then it lightened up just a bit and I said screw it and darted for lunch on the other side of the small creek that used to be a street. No way to the door that wasn't walking through 6" of water, but I was already pretty wet. And a perk of AirBnB is that I get a dryer in the apartment. Good grub at Cochon Butcher. The service sucked but the manager offered to buy my lunch. Brought me a bunch of extra stuff, totally turned it around. Even though he comped me the meal, I put nice tip in the jar.

Some things haven't changed, the areas off Bourbon street seem less sketchy. But the bums are less "hustling street people" and more "addiction/mental health beggars". Used to be that you couldn't walk a city block without someone trying to strike up a conversation and sell you their rap CD or a cheap necklace or tell you a joke for a couple bucks. Now it's just guys standing on the corner with "need money" signs. Did see one dude pushing around 2 pitbulls in a wheelchair (the dogs in the chair) and he had a sign about "USMC - can't work because PTSD" and then the word 'dysfunctional' in quotes. So I guess scaring the tourists will still get you some bucks in the Quarter. :) One hobo did strike up a conversation with me and hit me up for cash or food, so I gave him a beignet.

It's still New Orleans.
There’s random attacks on people with zero motive, which is why a lot of people are sketched out.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
U could a been a movie star

Russell probably needs a drinking partner tonight

U coulda been a star bro

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Spent yesterday afternoon in the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. Knew it was going to rain, but didn't know it was going to keep up for almost 3 hours. But the extra time worked out well, found a room that blew me away on the 3rd pass, and just sat there for 45m taking it all in.

Fantastic dinner at GW Fins, even better because my vendor picked up the tab :)

Heres the room, and some other works that I enjoyed.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'll fix the orientations when I get back to the apartment

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
took some ladies from work to Bourbon St. Finally had a proper catfish Po' Boy at Nawlins Kitchen. Grabbed a hurricane at Pat O'Brien and sang all the favorites...the crowd was less 'get drunk and sign-along' and more 'experience seekers'. I was kind of bummed that I didn't get propositioned on the walk off of Bourbon St, but I then I got invited on to the "Nawty in Nawlins" tour bus by the tour director and a couple hundred swingers. :)

Where was this action when I was a single 21 yo airman? C'est la vie.

I think I'll blow off the conference tomorrow afternoon and take a stroll through some of the art boutiques and niche museums in the French Quarter.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I have a bunch of pictures from the Civil War museum, I was surprised by the experience...gonna give myself another day or two before I write about it.

But I want everyone to know that b00ts @b00ts is the King of Cajun Cuisine.
I had a vendor asking for good places to eat around town. So I named off a bunch of places that I'd been to: Cochon Butcher, Sofia, Nawlins Kitchen...

Then he asked me "where's the best REAL Cajun food?"

I told him 2 hrs west in Scott, or 2 hours east in Gulfport/Biloxi. A little while later he comes back and tells me he ran in to the head chef at this restaurant (Lula Distillery) and asked him where to get the best Cajun food.

"He told me the same thing you did."

:D