Society Healthcare vote tomorrow morning...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
So now what?

It's largely accepted by people not completely blinded by political affiliation that the ACA is unsustainable as it is. So while Dems are rejoicing in this "non defeat" and - justifiably so - laughing at the GOPs complete failure in coming up with a bill they were comfortable moving forward with, what now?

Just let it implode?

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
So now what?

It's largely accepted by people not completely blinded by political affiliation that the ACA is unsustainable as it is. So while Dems are rejoicing in this "non defeat" and - justifiably so - laughing at the GOPs complete failure in coming up with a bill they were comfortable moving forward with, what now?

Just let it implode?
"Letting is implode" is a bit of exageration by a present who occasionally exagerates

I'd rather see them fix the bill bc a repeal and replace will be a step away from what most advanced countries have instead of a step towards it

But odds are, nothing happens for awhile since the Republicans won't do that, but also don't have enought votes to repeal and replace

They havvvve to get it done before midterm elections or their voters will be pissed. But therein lies the problem. The moderate republicans like jersey and the freEdom caucus or whatever they are Called on the far right both fear their own seats in Congress, albeit for different reasons than the base and different from one another (at least on terms of health care)

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
nothing happens for awhile
Then it will implode. It already is. If the premiums keep increasing, the people that are supposed to fund the program will continue to drop out and either seek other insurance or just pay the penalty.

M

member 1013

I have a great great plan. It's going to be terrific. I will do it super duper fast and it will be tippy toppy!

Hey Paul I actually don't have a plan at all besides playing golf and tweeting from the shitter, can I haz health care plan?

This isn't my plan it was bad plan lets move on to other things that I TOTALLY have planned.

It's gonna be great.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Then it will implode. It already is. If the premiums keep increasing, the people that are supposed to fund the program will continue to drop out and either seek other insurance or just pay the penalty.
We will see

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Why do you think this?
Economics 101.

If there isn't enough money to support the program, insurers will bail. They exist to make money. Plenty of major insurers have already removed themselves from the system (Blue Cross Blue Shield, United, Aetna). Some states now only have 1 supplier, which adds to the issue of premium increases (no competition) - and people aren't allowed to shop for insurance across state lines.

It's a failing program. I don't really care if it's repealed/replaced or if it's just fixed, but if left alone it will eventually fail on its own.

Last edited:

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Economics 101.

If there isn't enough money to support the program, insurers will bail. They exist to make money. Plenty of major insurers have already removed themselves from the system (Blue Cross Blue Shield, United, Aetna). Some states now only have 1 supplier, which adds to the issue of premium increases (no competition) - and people aren't allowed to shop for insurance across state lines.

It's a failing program. I don't really care if it's repealed/replaced or if it's just fixed, but if left alone as is it will eventually fail on its own.
The problem, I've heard, with allowing people to shop across state lines is that the insurance companies, themselves, will all just move to the state with the lowest regulations. Allowing them to reject more people, offer worse healthcare(less covered) and wouldn't necessarily drop prices much, due to people needing healthcare - it's not something you can walk away from if you don't like the price.

Also, depending on how many people you are losing by keeping prices high, because they can't afford it, the insurance companies might still make more money by keeping prices high than lowering them for everyone to get those people that can't afford it onboard as well.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
The problem, I've heard, with allowing people to shop across state lines is that the insurance companies, themselves, will all just move to the state with the lowest regulations. Allowing them to reject more people, offer worse healthcare(less covered) and wouldn't necessarily drop prices much, due to people needing healthcare - it's not something you can walk away from if you don't like the price.
Yup. It's a failed system.
Nothing run by the government works all that well. I don't know why people thought health care would be any different.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Nothing run by the government works all that well. I don't know why people thought health care would be any different.
That's just not true. Plenty of things work well when run by the government, we just don't talk about them when they are running well, because there is no reason to. It also depends on what the philosophy is behind the current government. If they are for small government they have an incentive to underfund a department and then point to it as a failure to incentivise moving that role outside of government control and into private hands.

It also assumes that there is a large degree of competence in the private sector, which is, often times, not the case. Many private enterprises fail due to mismanagement, poor personnel, or underfunding. I'm sure you can think of a few yourself.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yeah our military is just complete shit.
I'll give you that. We're good at spending a shit ton of money to have the most advanced weapons in the world. That's not a knock, by the way.

By "government run programs" I was thinking more along the lines of the US Postal System.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It also assumes that there is a large degree of competence in the private sector, which is, often times, not the case. Many private enterprises fail due to mismanagement, poor personnel, or underfunding.
As they should.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Economics 101.

It's a failing program. I don't really care if it's repealed/replaced or if it's just fixed, but if left alone it will eventually fail on its own.
What are some states with only one supplier?

And what do you mean these insurers have "removed themselves from the system?"

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
So now what?

Just let it implode?
Looks like Bernie has a bill he'll be pushing. He acknowledged in the campaign trail Obamacare needed work.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Regurgitating a selected soundbite out of context is not a good look.
Interesting that you didn't realize I already knew that's what you were thinking of.
Re-read my post.
You said they knew exactly what they passed, i provided a soundbite that says different. Regurgitated or not has no bearing on it being the truth. Your bias is way too obvious.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
You said they knew exactly what they passed, i provided a soundbite that says different. Regurgitated or not has no bearing on it being the truth. Your bias is way too obvious.
Your lack of knowledge is what is obvious.
You think soundbiting your way through a conversation shows your knowledge of the topic?
LOL. Try reading up on some facts. You are regurgitating a soundbite because you don't know the facts.