Heatwave: Iran buckles as temps soar to 70C

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Astonished weather experts predict the country could be enduring some of the hottest urban temperatures ever endured. Photo / AP
Iran is buckling under the pressure of a huge heatwave passing across the Middle East, with temperatures soaring to nearly 70C.

Scorching heat levels of 50C have already paralysed nearby Iraq, where officials had to call a four-day public holiday because it was too hot to work.

But the word "hot" has taken on an entirely new meaning in Iran's city of Bandar Mahshahr, where it was claimed the city's heat index was among the highest ever recorded.

Video
Astonished weather experts predict the country could be enduring some of the hottest urban temperatures ever endured.

"That was one of the most incredible temperature observations I have ever seen and it is one of the most extreme readings ever in the world," said AccuWeather meteorologist Anthony Saglia.

It is just a few degrees lower than the highest ever recorded heat index, which was 81C (178F) in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8, 2003.

In Iraq the Government has urged residents to drink plenty of water and stay out of the sun.

A heat dome - a type of high-pressure ridge that is passing over the region - has exacerbated electricity and water supply issues.

In the south residents have cranked up the air conditioning as high as it will go, while the more lucky among them have escaped to nearby beaches in a desperate bid to cool off.

- Daily Telegraph UK

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
No fucking way. I have been in 50 and assumed it was the hottest the world can get. I don't buy 178f that's hotter than mordor

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've been in 118-120 ish. It's fucking hell. Made me Ill even. Fuck that

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Okay I did some research and this looks legit. I can't fucking imagine how bad that is.

Hopefully this is good using a supernatural wmd to wipe them out. Hopefully the heatwave moves around those neighborhood and saves us a war