General HELP PELASE - PERSIMMONS DYING

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
I bought two Persimmons from Costco. Japanese Persimmons. One has dropped ALL its leaves, as you can see below, the other has its leaves wilting over and curling up. What could be the issue? I've given them tons of water, and they are in pots, so I don't think its lack of water or too much water (any excess just drains out right away). But I could be wrong. Would could cause that, any ideas? Its weird, I also got 2 Fuyo (Japanese) Persimmons and 2 native Persimmons from Gurneys I think it was, bear root, and they are doing great, growing fast and showing no signs of stress or anything at all. HELP - I don't want my babies to die. :( :( :(

1000009701.jpg

1000009702.jpg

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
LOLOL. Yes. I hear the Japanese ones are generally non-astringent and pretty good. But I do remember as a kid we had a native Persimmon tree near us, my dad always wanted to drive over there and get some, he loved them, but I thought they SUKED lol.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I bought two Persimmons from Costco. Japanese Persimmons. One has dropped ALL its leaves, as you can see below, the other has its leaves wilting over and curling up. What could be the issue? I've given them tons of water, and they are in pots, so I don't think its lack of water or too much water (any excess just drains out right away). But I could be wrong. Would could cause that, any ideas? Its weird, I also got 2 Fuyo (Japanese) Persimmons and 2 native Persimmons from Gurneys I think it was, bear root, and they are doing great, growing fast and showing no signs of stress or anything at all. HELP - I don't want my babies to die. :( :( :(

View attachment 101152

View attachment 101153
Did you replant the trees, or are these the containers and soil they came in?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
containers look small

you can overwater trees

I suspect you may have mites or fungus, take a magnifying glass to those leaves and see if there are little webs/spot(eggs)/or bugs...that type of leaf curl can be from pest or fungus

Best idea is to plant things in the ground if you own the land

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Yea, those are the containers they came in (I only bought them say 2 weeks ago). And you were right Rambo - I took them out of those small containers, and the soil did feel pretty darned wet. I'm used to fabric containers where you can water pretty much anything pretty much every day and it will so easily dry out quick enough to not be a problem.

I just replanted them in a bigger fabric container with more (dry) soil. Praying for my babies. Thanks!!!

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yea, those are the containers they came in (I only bought them say 2 weeks ago). And you were right Rambo - I took them out of those small containers, and the soil did feel pretty darned wet. I'm used to fabric containers where you can water pretty much anything pretty much every day and it will so easily dry out quick enough to not be a problem.

I just replanted them in a bigger fabric container with more (dry) soil. Praying for my babies. Thanks!!!
To be honest they don't look good and the one that died back looks bad

What temps do you have there? day and night

Sometimes the tree is too big for the root system do stuff has to die back and retreat to regroup. Sometimes the whole trunk dies and life sprouts from whatever lives in the root system.

If these were Bare Root then they probably never really established enough root to support that trunk and branches leaves.

Look up that type of leaf behavior and the causes of it on the still green leaved one.

Gardening is one giant learning curve and you will never ever know it all.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Rambo, the temps here were 88 high today, 76 at night. 88 was probably the high this year. Starting to get hot. But I'm pretty sure its not the heat. These two were not bare root - I bought these in those pots probably 2 weeks ago from Costco. Its funny, I ordered some bare root from online as well, and they are KICKING ASS. But I have had them in a fabric pot. I think plants love fabric pots - great draining and tons of air for the roots.

I just think I watered the damned things too much. Should I take them to Costco and demand my money back for selling me such shitty trees?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Rambo, the temps here were 88 high today, 76 at night. 88 was probably the high this year. Starting to get hot. But I'm pretty sure its not the heat. These two were not bare root - I bought these in those pots probably 2 weeks ago from Costco. Its funny, I ordered some bare root from online as well, and they are KICKING ASS. But I have had them in a fabric pot. I think plants love fabric pots - great draining and tons of air for the roots.

I just think I watered the damned things too much. Should I take them to Costco and demand my money back for selling me such shitty trees?
I actually would consider returning them...since it is Costco.

I returned a huge portable speaker almost 3 years after purchase. I thought that sounded ridiculous but my Gal told me that is Costco's policy.

Trees are probably too wet and a pot that small can get very hot in 88 degree sun
Bigger pot equals cooler dirt since it has more thermal mass to heat up and the center of the root mass is insulated more

I would use 25 gallon pots myself, or in the ground not over a septic system.

Persimon trees can grow pretty fast when they are happy, I grew up with one and we grew one here last few years but I had her hack/dig it out because it was planted on the septic field and getting big fast.

I don't like the taste but my lady and moms do

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

I returned a huge portable speaker almost 3 years after purchase. I thought that sounded ridiculous but my Gal told me that is Costco's policy.

Trees are probably too wet and a pot that small can get very hot in 88 degree sun
Bigger pot equals cooler dirt since it has more thermal mass to heat up and the center of the root mass is insulated more

Persimon trees can grow pretty fast when they are happy, I grew up with one and we grew one here last few years but I had her hack/dig it out because it was planted on the septic field and getting big fast.

He stated he bought the plants 2 weeks ago. Unless he is drowning them with water, I can't imagine it's too much water. If they are in the original pots he purchased them in, it's not a soils issue. I'd agree that it's likely a fungal or pest issue, but it could be an issue of too much fertilizer if he fertilized himself after receiving them. I know fuckall about persimmons, but in a brief internet search it looks like they don't like fertilizer for the most part until they are established plants. Personally, I'd just return them to the vendor and not trouble shoot at 2 weeks in.
Bottom line, they are persimmons, return them or just let them die. Fuck persimmons.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

With plants that immature, they aren't going to need 25 gallons for a while. Though it would be nice to get them into a large container sooner rather than later for vigor, he could upsize to 5 gallon in the interim. Problems at this point though? FUck it, return them. Agreed.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
He stated he bought the plants 2 weeks ago. Unless he is drowning them with water, I can't imagine it's too much water. If they are in the original pots he purchased them in, it's not a soils issue. I'd agree that it's likely a fungal or pest issue, but it could be an issue of too much fertilizer if he fertilized himself after receiving them. I know fuckall about persimmons, but in a brief internet search it looks like they don't like fertilizer for the most part until they are established plants. Personally, I'd just return them to the vendor and not trouble shoot at 2 weeks in.
Bottom line, they are persimmons, return them or just let them die. Fuck persimmons.
I don't do a ton of fertilizing when something looks healthy, best to let it adjust to its new spot and environment without adding excessive variables.

I do see a lot of people returning plants/berry shoots/etc to costco so I think it is common, shit dies sometimes and that is part of the game.

I agree, F persimmons...been around them for 35+ years. Was so glad I convinced the lady to kill out 8 foot tree this year before it got bigger. It had some seeds in the fruit so she wasn't gonna argue with me too much about it needing to go.

The one my mom had growing up was a helluva tree and the fruit was pretty amazing if you were into that stuff, I wasn't. Was a lot of work tho, I would be cutting 6-8 foot watershoots every year. It wanted to be 30 feet tall but we kept it at about 15 and 20 wide. Would produce 100 plus lbs per year.

Again, not a fan of the taste
I don't like the texture fresh, they are palatable when dried.

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I don't do a ton of fertilizing when something looks healthy, best to let it adjust to its new spot and environment without adding excessive variables.
I fertilize when transplanting, but my fertilizer is organic, granular, and slow release, so it would be difficult to fuck shit up. Basically I just scratch a handful or two into the upper 2" of soil surrounding any given plant.
Apparently young persimmons don't like fertilizer until established. I only pointed that out in case he used fertilizers after receipt, since he could add that variable into his troubleshooting.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
I'm about 99% sure it was me overwatering that hurt the trees. Shouldn't I feel a little bit bad returning them, given that it was my fuck-up? Maybe I'll just return them if they don't pull through... if they pull through I'm fine with them even though Persimmons are not the best tasting fruit out there LOL...

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm about 99% sure it was me overwatering that hurt the trees. Shouldn't I feel a little bit bad returning them, given that it was my fuck-up? Maybe I'll just return them if they don't pull through... if they pull through I'm fine with them even though Persimmons are not the best tasting fruit out there LOL...
Don't feel bad
The return policy is Costco's #1 selling point
Even if it is your fault, returns are factored into their business model

Enjoy