VID Helwani: I could promote better than every other promoter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Inga V

Jul 18, 2018
Ariel is a good journalist. But he'd be a terrible promoter. Chael would make a terrible journalist and a good promoter.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Ariel is a good journalist. But he'd be a terrible promoter. Chael would make a terrible journalist and a good promoter.
Actually I think ariel is an amazing host, but not a journalist.
He rarely investigates or goes deep into subjects
His news is mostly things fighters & camps tell him

Not that what he does is bad. But he tends to make himself part of the story and/or create stories.

Journalist don't do that.

But as an MMA personality/host, he is second to none IMO

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Ariel would be a decent promoter when it comes to putting cards together, but not negotiations. If Chael's tactic is just talking louder to seem right for this show, it's doomed. Well known bad businessman and scammer.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Ariel is a tit. He needs to stop wearing manga shoes before I could ever take him seriously

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Chael doing the classic. "I'm not telling you're a cunt, you're great you cunt" trick.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Wow, that’s the first clip I’ve seen from their show. Glad i got it out of the way. I’ll never watch it again. Seems like everyone wants to have their version of “First Take”, as if the original isn’t bad enough. Ariel is such a pussy. I would be happy if he left MMA and covered some obscure sport that never airs in America. As for Chael, he has a big ego, but at least he is entertaining. And he does have a lot of knowledge about the game. He has, or at least had, a long term promotion in Oregon.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Robbie Hart @Throbbie Fart

here is the difference between Ariel & a journalist like Meltzer or Nash or Ourand

Ariel is a backer for a fighters union.
He brings it up weekly on his shows.
He never has the facts that journalist would have to take it further.

Journalist investigate & get details & uncover things
Ariel gets told a fight is happening & tweets about it
That is cool & good on him, but that is not journalism.

The others I mentioned are the reason we know how much UFC makes & how little the pay.
They took the time to investigate & look into it

The below was in the NY Times.
Frank Deford is widely known as the greatest sports reporter in history

Frank Deford, a 50-year veteran of Sports Illustrated, once labeled Meltzer the most accomplished reporter in sports journalism.
“You could cover the Vatican or State Department,” Deford said recently, “and not do as good a job as Dave Meltzer does.”

Ariel is a great host, but not a journalist in the true sense of the word.

Meltzer, Nash, Ourand barely go to shows.
Ariel cried when he thought he was banned backstage lol

Even Dana knows the difference
watch him in this clip

He is certain nobody will disagree with him & calls out a room of reporters & Meltzer is the one that stood up & disagreed & Dana's reax to it being Meltzer is funny.

If it was anybody else he would have ripped him a new a-hole

View: https://youtu.be/6OL9KQjL05M?t=13m26s

This article is journalism.
As a former UFC judge, Meltzer dives deep into the flaws of the scoring system

Last edited:

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Ariel is not a journalist. He forever relinquished that title when he started taking money from the UFC.

And for him to say he could promote better than any other promoter in the business? Incredibly douchey thing to say if he's being serious.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Ariel is not a journalist. He forever relinquished that title when he started taking money from the UFC.

And for him to say he could promote better than any other promoter in the business? Incredibly douchey thing to say if he's being serious.
I disagree on the first part
Ken Rosenthal is one of the great Baseball journalist & he worked for Fox covering MLB.
Difference was Ariel hid it, while Ken was upfront about it.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Difference was Ariel hid it, while Ken was upfront about it.
Yes and this is exactly the difference.

If he came out with it but assured us his coverage would remain unbiased, he could have kept his integrity.

Instead he tried to hide it and hoped it would stay buried, only revealing it when he had no choice.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Yes and this is exactly the difference.

If he came out with it but assured us his coverage would remain unbiased, he could have kept his integrity.

Instead he tried to hide it and hoped it would stay buried, only revealing it when he had no choice.
Cool ... we are on same page
I have no issues with him taking the gig.
I thought he was good at it
But taking it & not being upfront is where the issue was/is

Of course when he got fired he stepped up his "anti-UFC" tirades 500 fold.
that says a lot too

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Cool ... we are on same page
I have no issues with him taking the gig.
I thought he was good at it
But taking it & not being upfront is where the issue was/is

Of course when he got fired he stepped up his "anti-UFC" tirades 500 fold.
that says a lot too
As a fellow Canadian I always rooted for him, and always though he was a good interviewer/personality.

But he really disappointed me when he gave a sob story trying to justify his actions by saying "it's always been my dream" and "there are more opportunities for me if I did it because the UFC are the biggest game in town."

It's like yeah... of course there is more potential reward for being dishonest... that's why people do it...

Again... all could have been solved if he was just honest about it and made it transparent. But it was his forbidden shame...

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
As a fellow Canadian I always rooted for him, and always though he was a good interviewer/personality.

But he really disappointed me when he gave a sob story trying to justify his actions by saying "it's always been my dream" and "there are more opportunities for me if I did it because the UFC are the biggest game in town."

It's like yeah... of course there is more potential reward for being dishonest... that's why people do it...

Again... all could have been solved if he was just honest about it and made it transparent. But it was his forbidden shame...
Plus his sob story about "I am banned from covering the sport I love" was 100% BULLSHIT
He could still go to events
He could still interview any UFC fighter on his show
He could still cover MMA

He just wasn't allowed backstage & in press row with freebies.

That was my point about journalist like Meltzer, Nash & Ourand
They rarely go to events because it is not about them.
They can cover MMA from home.
Dave says he gets a better perspective on the fights on TV anyway

EDIT: He was backstage in UFC catering when he tweeted out the Brock surprise.