Herb Dean defends Askren-Lawler stoppage at UFC 235

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Herb dean is one of the most respected referees in mixed martial arts today. While he is usually accurate with his calls, one that came under a lot of scrutiny was his stoppage decision during the Ben Askren-Robbie Lawler fight at UFC 235 last March.

Many argued how Dean should’ve let the fight go on, especially since Lawler was seen raising a thumbs up, while others sided with his call. During his appearance on the most recent JRE MMA Show podcast, the long-time official defended his decision.

“When I see some chokes, a rear-naked choke, especially with the guy on the back face up, I take a sigh of relief,” he explained.…

Referee Herb Dean defends Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler stoppage at UFC 235

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
fight needs a finish
they will fight again(hopefully)
Lawler did look out, but when fight was called he was in no way out.. could just be too relaxed in chokes
They both felt the danger of each other's skillsets in that fight...very good scrap

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
fight needs a finish
they will fight again(hopefully)
Lawler did look out, but when fight was called he was in no way out.. could just be too relaxed in chokes
They both felt the danger of each other's skillsets in that fight...very good scrap
I agree it needs to be redone. The only thing I am saying is that from Herbs viewpoint it looked like Bob was out. After the fight was stopped it came to light that that was not the case. If there was every a case for an immediate rematch this is it.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I agree it needs to be redone. The only thing I am saying is that from Herbs viewpoint it looked like Bob was out. After the fight was stopped it came to light that that was not the case. If there was every a case for an immediate rematch this is it.
yep
for sure legit call
herb didn't see rob moving arm around and called it...Askren took a beating early...could be sold for a great rematch in a fight or two

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Herb also said he was so close to calling it for Robbie when he was dropping those 100lb anvils down onto Bens noggin. Really could have gone either way. I wish they run it back. I think Robbie would want to get that one back.