Highway fucking robbery

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
after watching r5 in slo mo....
jj was goin after it but reyes was still better early on
reyes cornerman told him he had it won as long as he doesnt get finished
so reyes did some running and covering last half of r5
i think he coulda and woulda won that round too if he didnt listen to his corner (whom i thought were correct)
Ya I didn't like his corner advice...I stated that in the Live thread

Thanks for the slo mo reviews

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
in short: last night i said it was a robbery
then today slo mo had me thinkin it coulda gone either way due to r2
yet after watchin r 4 slo mo, its back to being a robbery again

keep in mind i was rooting for jones

couple noteworthy observations:
jj landed a kick in r1 to reyes knee that looked like it hyperextended it
jj landed a spinning kick to the balls late in the fight
damn reyes takedown defense was insane, but he did land an illegal elbow to the back of jjs head to break 1 clinch

blas4ublasphemy

Oct 25, 2015
I watched the fight without commentary and felt Reyes landed the majority of the clean solid shots throughout the fight. First 3 rounds in my eyes are 10-9 Reyes, fourth I'd personally score a draw and last round was Jones due to his opponent's inactivity more than anything. Even going by Pride scoring I'd still give Reyes the nod despite his momentum fading in the championship rounds.

Poleeko

Feb 14, 2017
I’d say it wasn’t so much that Reyes won the fight but that Jones didn’t put much effort into it. The decision doesn’t bother me nor would it have if it went the other way.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
last night i called it a robbery

just watched r2 again with slow mo

i'd give it to reyes but not by much, wouldnt be absurd to give it to jj. draw would be fair too

and in a fight where 1 round decided the winner, this is significant

reyes started strong jj finished strong. in a 5 minute round judges tend to remember the end more

unrelated to scoring: dana said backstage jjs legs were on ice, and cornermen were carrying reyes!

great fight. great fighters. great chins. they earned those big checks

I just rewatched the entire fight in slow motion. It took 3hrs.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I didn’t agree with the decision, but it was close. So close in fact that there is no way this would qualify as a robbery.

Murphy over Lee was much more of a robbery, as the aggregated media scores show:

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I didn’t agree with the decision, but it was close. So close in fact that there is no way this would qualify as a robbery.

Murphy over Lee was much more of a robbery, as the aggregated media scores show:

Former UFC match maker Joe Silva scored it a draw.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
If Reyes could have just kept his foot on the gas the WHOLE fight...

...they still would have gave the decision to Jones! He will have to be finished to lose his belt.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

...they still would have gave the decision to Jones! He will have to be finished to lose his belt.
I don't doubt it one bit.

I knew any decision would go to JJ...not that it is a good look for him to always have a lopsided card in close fights that he arguable lost.

If you had what should be a 10-8 round on him, it is likely scored 10-9 Jones on the revised scorecard

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I don't have a problem with the decision itself, as a champion typically has to be beaten pretty soundly to lose a belt to a decision. That wasn't the case here. All things being equal, I think Reyes won the fight. But he didn't kick his ass.

I had Reyes winning the first 3 rounds, but the 3rd round was pretty close. I had Jones winning the 4th and 5th - but again, not dominating by any stretch of the imagination.

So I had it 48-47 for Reyes, but I can see an argument for a 48-47 card in favor of Jones.

What I have an issue with is the 49-46 card. Whoever turned that in should never get to judge again. In anything. That's just clueless.

And I'm a little puzzled why they have to use boxing judges anyway. This isn't boxing. It's MMA. Rogan mentioned one of the judges wasn't even watching one of the earlier fights. If true, that is inexcusable. Every one of the fights on these cards are incredibly important for the combatants, and to not take your role seriously when so much is at stake is absurd.

TLDR:
  • I'm fine with Jones keeping his belt as it was a close fight
  • The 49-46 judge should never be allowed to judge anything again
  • MMA needs their own judges. This isn't boxing.
'Champion typically has to be beaten pretty soundly to lose a decision'.

This is the problem we are having here people. People who follow MMA this closely are still spewing ridiculous nonsense like this.

That's not how scoring works and never has. That's just something that a drunk grandpa who was watching Jim Braddock box during the depression used to say.

Most people who are outraged just simply don't know how to score fights and their opinions can't be taken seriously.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
after watching r5 in slo mo....
jj was goin after it but reyes was still better early on
reyes cornerman told him he had it won as long as he doesnt get finished
so reyes did some running and covering last half of r5
i think he coulda and woulda won that round too if he didnt listen to his corner (whom i thought were correct)
Did his cornerman really tell him that? Extremely idiotic and it happens far too regularly.

If there was a guide book to cornering, on page one it would say 'don't fucking tell your fighter he has won close rounds because a) you are a biased dipshit who can't be trusted to objetively score and b) even if you are scoring correctly, never assume that potentially corrupt and inept judges will be.

Absolutely moronic behavior.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
'Champion typically has to be beaten pretty soundly to lose a decision'.

This is the problem we are having here people. People who follow MMA this closely are still spewing ridiculous nonsense like this.

That's not how scoring works and never has. That's just something that a drunk grandpa who was watching Jim Braddock box during the depression used to say.

Most people who are outraged just simply don't know how to score fights and their opinions can't be taken seriously.
That and it's literally been true since...I don't know...fucking forever.

Champs always get the benefit of the doubt.

Interesting take though. I remember watching my first fight. Hope you enjoyed yours.

M

member 3289

Round 1 - clearly Reyes

Round 2 - clearly Jones

Round 3 - toss up

Round 4 - clearly Jones

Round 5 - clearly Jones

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
That and it's literally been true since...I don't know...fucking forever.

Champs always get the benefit of the doubt.

Interesting take though. I remember watching my first fight. Hope you enjoyed yours.
Yes, the champ always gets the decision, just like BJ Penn getting jobbed out of his title in the first Frankie fight.

If you are saying that there might be a general bias towards the champion, then sure, but that is just one of many biases a judge may or may not have, and we never know when it's at play.

And that's also not what you posted, mate. You claimed that you personally didn't have a problem with a scoreline based on a criteria that doesn't actually exist. Which is objectively a stupid thing to say.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Yes, the champ always gets the decision, just like BJ Penn getting jobbed out of his title in the first Frankie fight.

If you are saying that there might be a general bias towards the champion, then sure, but that is just one of many biases a judge may or may not have, and we never know when it's at play.

And that's also not what you posted, mate. You claimed that you personally didn't have a problem with a scoreline based on a criteria that doesn't actually exist. Which is objectively a stupid thing to say.
You know you don’t always have to be as abrasive as steel wool when you post, don’t you? We can always choose to be kind or rude. Kind feels better.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

I'm accepting things for the way they are.

Generally speaking, if a challenger is going to take down a champion via a judges decision it has to be with a dominant performance.

All things being equal, I think Reyes won. But I sort of knew Jones was going to get the nod because he was the existing champ. I'm not saying that's right - just stating that's the way it typically is.

If Reyes fights the last 3 rounds like he did in the first 2, he's your new champ. But due to stamina or idiotic advice from his corner - he took his foot off the gas.

He fought well though. I don't want to take that away from him.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016

There are other ways he can lose his belt ;)