Highway fucking robbery

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'm accepting things for the way they are.

Generally speaking, if a challenger is going to take down a champion via a judges decision it has to be with a dominant performance.

All things being equal, I think Reyes won. But I sort of knew Jones was going to get the nod because he was the existing champ. I'm not saying that's right - just stating that's the way it typically is.

If Reyes fights the last 3 rounds like he did in the first 2, he's your new champ. But due to stamina or idiotic advice from his corner - he took his foot off the gas.

He fought well though. I don't want to take that away from him.
Again, you're just repeating what is essentially an old boxing cliche.

Let's look at the most controversial decisions in title fights, not including Jones fights, vacant belt fights (Bas-Randleman) or title unification fights (Rampage-Hendo).

BJ-Edgar 1 - challenger wins
Edgar-Maynard 1 - draw
Edgar-Bendo 1 - challenger wins
Bendo-Edgar 2 - champion wins
Shogun-Machida - champion wins
Griffin-Rampage - challenger wins
Hendricks-GSP - champion wins
Bisping-Hendo 2 - champion wins
Mighty Mouse-Cejudo 2 - challenger wins

I'm missing a few but already you can see that there's just no justification for saying the champion gets the benefit of the doubt from judges. It seems to be a non-factor.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016

Let's look at the most controversial decisions in title fights, not including Jones fights, vacant belt fights (Bas-Randleman) or title unification fights (Rampage-Hendo).

Edgar-Maynard 1 - draw

I'm missing a few but already you can see that there's just no justification for saying the champion gets the benefit of the doubt from judges. It seems to be a non-factor.
Bisping Hendo 2?

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Listening to commentary and going by the Judges decisions:

Latifi takedowns - doesn’t matter

Jon Jones takedowns - all the difference - showed dominance

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

Edgar-Maynard 1 - draw

I'd have to go back and watch those fights to see if the champ received favorable treatment.

Just listing who won and who didn't proves nothing. I didn't say it NEVER happens.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Bisping Hendo 2?

Seriously, less than 50% of people on MMA decisions scored it for Bisping. More than half think Hendo won or a draw.

That's the world we live in and gives some insight into how it's impossible to have a reasoned discussion on scoring.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I'd have to go back and watch those fights to see if the champ received favorable treatment.

Just listing who won and who didn't proves nothing. I didn't say it NEVER happens.
Actually, it proves a lot. If bias towards champions was a major factor, then we would see a strong correlation between close fights and champions getting the decision. Instead we see basically no correlation between those things.

It's possible that individual judges may have a bias towards champions, but whatever malfunction Doug Crosby's brain was experiencing when he gave Edgar all 5 rounds against BJ certainly trumped that bias.

We are dealing with a corrupt and inept profession where people like Adelaide Byrd appear to judge fights based on the fighter's skin color. There's all kinds of shit that can influence decisions. It's possible that bias against champions is just as strong as towards them.

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
Did his cornerman really tell him that? Extremely idiotic and it happens far too regularly.

If there was a guide book to cornering, on page one it would say 'don't fucking tell your fighter he has won close rounds because a) you are a biased dipshit who can't be trusted to objetively score and b) even if you are scoring correctly, never assume that potentially corrupt and inept judges will be.

Absolutely moronic behavior.
yes he said something like "youre doing this, youre gona be AND STILL, just keep your hands up"

reyes was actually winning at least half of the 5th round too

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Actually, it proves a lot. If bias towards champions was a major factor, then we would see a strong correlation between close fights and champions getting the decision. Instead we see basically no correlation between those things.

It's possible that individual judges may have a bias towards champions, but whatever malfunction Doug Crosby's brain was experiencing when he gave Edgar all 5 rounds against BJ certainly trumped that bias.

We are dealing with a corrupt and inept profession where people like Adelaide Byrd appear to judge fights based on the fighter's skin color. There's all kinds of shit that can influence decisions. It's possible that bias against champions is just as strong as towards them.

madmav

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2016
dana is at fault here.. such a high profile fight he should have done due diligence with the texas AC to ensure judges with previous mma judging were required for this card.. now he's laughing all the way to the bank with an inevitable rematch booked

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
dana is at fault here.. such a high profile fight he should have done due diligence with the texas AC to ensure judges with previous mma judging were required for this card.. now he's laughing all the way to the bank with an inevitable rematch booked
pretty inactive ref, why put him in now?

Hope there is rematch...I could see John picking somebody else

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
I don't think it's the "boxing refs", especially since Reyes absolutely dominated the boxing.

This is straight up corruption from the UFC, Thiago Silva also beat Jones. It's clear that as long as the fight goes to the distance, they're gonna give it to Jones.