History of UFC belts being stripped

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
On Tuesday former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones became the first fighter to lose his title for violating the terms of the Athlete Code of Conduct policy. However, he is the 10th UFC fighter to have his title stripped.

Randy Couture, 1998
Stripped of the title after signing with Vale Tudo Japan. UFC heavyweight championship belt vacated.

Jens Pulver, Jan 2002
Stripped of the title after failed contract negotiations. UFC lightweight championship belt vacated.

Josh Barnett, March, 2002
Stripped of the title after failing PED test. UFC heavyweight championship belt vacated.

Murilo Bustamante, October 2002
Stripped of the title after signing with PRIDE. UFC middleweight championship belt vacated.

Tim Sylvia, September, 2003
Stripped of the title after failing PED test. UFC heavyweight championship belt vacated.

BJ Penn, May 2004
Stripped of the title after signing with K-1. UFC welterweight championship belt vacated.

Frank Mir, August 2005
Stripped of the title after a motorcycle accident. UFC heavyweight championship belt vacated.

Sean Sherk, December 2007
Stripped of the title after the CSAC upheld his positive test for tested positive for Nandrolone in his July 7 title defense. UFC lightweight championship belt vacated.

Dominick Cruz, Jan 2014
Stripped of the title after repeated injuries. UFC bantamweight championship belt vacated.

Jon Jones, April 28, 2015
Stripped of the title after being arrested on a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving death or personal injuries. UFC light heavyweight championship belt vacated.

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
Have there been any other fights besides Sherk/Franca where both fighters failed drug tests? Not counting Chael/Wanderlei, since that fight never happened...

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Have there been any other fights besides Sherk/Franca where both fighters failed drug tests? Not counting Chael/Wanderlei, since that fight never happened...
Without doing research it's foggy but for some reason I'm thinking Tim Sylvia/Gan Mcgee? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Tim has popped twice and one perhaps was a title fight against Gan.

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
Without doing research it's foggy but for some reason I'm thinking Tim Sylvia/Gan Mcgee? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Tim has popped twice and one perhaps was a title fight against Gan.

According to my good friend, Wikipedia, Sylvia did test positive after that fight, but McGee did not.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
According to my good friend, Wikipedia, Sylvia did test positive after that fight, but McGee did not.
Meh, I was close :p

How about we compromise and say that Gan more than likely was on roids but cycled better :D

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Seems fair. No way that guy got so tall by natural means.
I know you are just joking but do you think you can alter how tall someone will be if there parents or guardian gives them steroids like hgh when they're a growing adolescent?

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
tought that couture was stripped twice
No, however after looking at the UFC belts again, I did find a descrepancy.

Bas Rutten was the UFC HW Champion when he "beat" Kevin Randleman. It says that Bas "vacated the title because he was going to drop down to lhw, but then he retired." This is the same as being stripped for not defending in my opinion.

Do you guys agree that Bas Rutten should be added to the list?

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

No, however after looking at the UFC belts again, I did find a descrepancy.

Bas Rutten was the UFC HW Champion when he "beat" Kevin Randleman. It says that Bas "vacated the title because he was going to drop down to lhw, but then he retired." This is the same as being stripped for not defending in my opinion.

Do you guys agree that Bas Rutten should be added to the list?
no,because GSP should be added to the list as well, but retire with the belt is not the same as stripped, i thought couture did not defend the belt for over a year because his gaming character dispute and he was not injured. according to you Dana did not strip him?

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Sounds subjective. I'm assuming Bas was a free agent that UFC couldn't keep which is why Bas was able to fight after the UFC, but GSP is under contract.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Alright since Jon Jones in April 2015, who should be added to the list?

Jones again for his 2nd DC fight right?

I feel like there's 5 more since April 2015.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Alright since Jon Jones in April 2015, who should be added to the list?

Jones again for his 2nd DC fight right?

I feel like there's 5 more since April 2015.
If you ignore the silly technicality that guys were given the option to 'vacate' their belts before being stripped (which you should) and also not count interim belts, then just off the top of my head you've got:

Jones, Conor x 2, Henry Cejudo, DC, Dillashaw, Germaine De Randamie.

GSP also legit vacated two belts.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
If you ignore the silly technicality that guys were given the option to 'vacate' their belts before being stripped (which you should) and also not count interim belts, then just off the top of my head you've got:

Jones, Conor x 2, Henry Cejudo, DC, Dillashaw, Germaine De Randamie.

GSP also legit vacated two belts.
Bad ass! Did you cite this from memory or did you do some research? I ask because I'm interested in the details of each such as time frames, who they fought, and any circumstancial situations.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Bad ass! Did you cite this from memory or did you do some research? I ask because I'm interested in the details of each such as time frames, who they fought, and any circumstancial situations.
Memory. Can't even remember what happened yesterday most days but this came fairly easily. Jones drug shenanigans, Conor we all know too, De Randamie ducked Cyborg, Cejudo and Cormier were 'champ champs' that had to give up a belt, and the Snake tested positive. Have no idea when each happened.