HITT vs Steady state cardio for fat loss (article)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Why HIIT Is NOT Better For Fat Loss | StrongLifts

For a noob I found this quite interesting. He's written it in relation to his 5x5 system and allowances for recovery from that so that should be accounted for when reading it.

Seems to be a big difference in fat loss/calories burned in steady state cardio compared with HITT.

Is this article correct?

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Yes, there are a host of reasons to choose distance running over interval training. Also, several studies have pointed out that EPOC is not as useful as people originally thought.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yes the article is correct. May even be too biased towards HIIT.

Here is a simple thought experiment. When you you run, the further you run, the more calories you burn. There are some efficiency variations but that's the general gist. More mileage = more calories, whether you do it 10 mins or 30 mins.

When you watch athletes race, do they sprint, stop, rest then sprint again? No, because it is a slower way to cover distance. Which means it is a slower method for burning calories. It also won't get you as fit as doing steady state cardio, you can't do it for as long and it wrecks you.

I've done sprints extensively. I also ran a trial of SS vs HIIT on the S&C ground and I found SS blew intervals away.

Like the rest of my training, I don't do high intensity cardio. Volume is a much better methodology.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Yes the article is correct. May even be too biased towards HIIT.

Here is a simple thought experiment. When you you run, the further you run, the more calories you burn. There are some efficiency variations but that's the general gist. More mileage = more calories, whether you do it 10 mins or 30 mins.

When you watch athletes race, do they sprint, stop, rest then sprint again? No, because it is a slower way to cover distance. Which means it is a slower method for burning calories. It also won't get you as fit as doing steady state cardio, you can't do it for as long and it wrecks you.

I've done sprints extensively. I also ran a trial of SS vs HIIT on the S&C ground and I found SS blew intervals away.

Like the rest of my training, I don't do high intensity cardio. Volume is a much better methodology.

I totally agree, i have never been a fan of HIIT but most bodybuilders will swear by it, but from personal experience HIIT had me losing muscle before a comp and SS had me keeping more muscle while burning fat.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Bodybuilders swear by it because t nation tells them to, not because its a good idea. They are on some retarded quest to end all steady state work. It's super annoying.

Last edited:

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Is this video bull or do the sit down bikes or mini cycle machines actually do anything? It made me laugh at first as I thought he was joking

View: http://youtu.be/ArFafOVm7KI

But then I thought about it and wanted to ask you guys.

I see you can get mini cycles like this one cheap would it have any impact at all on cardio and fat loss?

View: http://youtu.be/7eOeuFfN5-U
I will just say this. If your output on anything is intense enough it can work. I dont know about that mini cycle because i have never personally tried it but maybe it can be good depending on how you use it.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
He's right. You will burn lots of calories that way. A good diet is the main method of fat attack though.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Even on a mini cycle? It looks ridiculous but it's cheap and looks to have a similar range of motion to the one he had.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
see the other side of the argument here. Why HIIT is better than steady state cardio at 10 workout rules for fat loss

An example of a fast weight loss workout is here...
Incorrect. The article doesn't make any comparison between HIIT and steady state. And for good reason. Steady state burns more calories.

If you enjoy HIIT, then by all means, carry on. But 1) it is less effective, and 2) the article specifically states, numerous times, that you should NOT enjoy it.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Incorrect. The article doesn't make any comparison between HIIT and steady state. And for good reason. Steady state burns more calories.

If you enjoy HIIT, then by all means, carry on. But 1) it is less effective, and 2) the article specifically states, numerous times, that you should NOT enjoy it.
No, there is some minor comparison way down at the bottom. E.g. he compares intense intervals to walking at 3mph and intervals burned more calories.

But yeah... First post... This appears to be an ad