Welcome to Our Community

Registering Now takes less than 60 seconds and gives you access to additional features. Register now to dismiss this and other notices.

Holly Holm appealing UFC 208 loss

Discussion in 'Cageside - MMA Discussion' started by Wild, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Wild

Wild TMMAC's most handsome Admin
    Admin

Ratings:
    +80,336
    [​IMG]

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm has begun the legal process of appealing her UFC 208 loss to Germaine de Randamie, citing punches landed after the buzzer as the cause.

In case you missed it, this past Saturday night in Brooklyn, NY, a new division debuted at UFC 208, which resulted in the crowning of a brand new women’s featherweight champion—Germaine de Randamie. The problem is, there was a tornado of controversy surrounding the decision, with many in the community feeling the fight should have gone Holly Holm’s way, or at the very least, been a draw.

During the contest, there were two separate instances where de Randamie landed shots that were clearly after the bell. Referee Todd Anderson didn’t deduct a point for either instance. While the new champion…

Holly Holm appealing UFC 208 loss

#1 Wild, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. dacofty

dacofty Yea..Ok..Whatever
    First 100

Ratings:
    +9,798
    LMAO

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Pitbull3744

Pitbull3744 Member

Ratings:
    +10,880
    Come on

Waste of time

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. MMAHAWK

MMAHAWK ATM 6 Champion, @mmahawk21

Ratings:
    +12,210
    Pretty pathetic by Holm

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Miesha's Taint

Miesha's Taint TMMACS Salty Tits

Ratings:
    +29,832
    Meanwhile outside Holly's place.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. lordofthepies

lordofthepies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,659
    LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ender852

ender852 Active Member

Ratings:
    +623
    good luck with that. the second "late hit" didn't even land

8. Wild

Wild TMMAC's most handsome Admin
    Admin

Ratings:
    +80,336
    Tactic to try and get a rematch?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Left Hook Larry

Left Hook Larry 3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
    First 100

Ratings:
    +19,656
    thats why you dont put these rookie refs in the championship fights.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cagesidelore

Cagesidelore Man on the silver mountain

Ratings:
    +2,735
    Is she going to appeal the decision to reject her appeal that upheld the fight?

11. Enock 4 MoD

Enock 4 MoD ATM 3 Champion.Chief Regulator.
    First 100

Ratings:
    +39,491
    I lost money in that fight. I agree jermain landed a good late shot. But irrespective holly did nothing to win that fight. In fact the only time I saw her do anything since she joined the UFC was against Ronda. The rest of the time she has looked struggling to settle and find her rhythm.

Isnt that right @Atto@Atto

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Neural

Neural Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    If it was in vegas I believe a point would have been deducted and she could well have won, so there is some basis for it, regardless of saltiness, fucking new york commission hasn't got a clue to be fair.

13. ender852

ender852 Active Member

Ratings:
    +623
    can you name any other fight where a point was taken for a shot after the bell? it is always a warning.

14. Neural

Neural Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    I can't recall any other fight that had 2 instances of after the bell punches to be honest?
    Paul Daley was about the worst that comes to mind and he was cut from the UFC for it.

15. ender852

ender852 Active Member

Ratings:
    +623
    but there wasn't two. the second time, she lands a punch on the bell and whifs with the second one

16. ender852

ender852 Active Member

Ratings:
    +623
    shit, joanna jedjechick hit claudia after the bell, but nobody had their panties in a big uproar about it. cause people like joanna?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ryann Von Doom

Ryann Von Doom The Man

Ratings:
    +6,040
    Good, that'll make her 0-4. She didnt deserve the title shot, and she sure as fuck didnt win anything. With a point deduction she should have still lost by one point.

18. The Sound of Violence

The Sound of Violence Host of a podcast about mma podcasts

Ratings:
    +712
    She wouldn't have won. If they took a point it would have been a draw.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. bully4me

bully4me Active Member

Ratings:
    +506
    I agree!

After Dana had his rant about the incompetent ref and blaming the NY Athletic Commish, they did have a pretty good reply to the UFC. Stating that the UFC was given the list of referees for the bouts and had NO objections. If the UFC did believe this ref was incompetent they could have put it in writing and requested someone else. Guess it's easier for Dana and crew to argue after the fact when the fighter they wanted to win, lost!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GJdeux

GJdeux I really bite and yes, I enjoy it

Ratings:
    +333
    but that shot rocked her. I mean...if she was knocked down, is that still a warning? She was clearly wobbled and who knows how that affected her.

21. Ryann Von Doom

Ryann Von Doom The Man

Ratings:
    +6,040
    and the bell was still sounding when she threw the punch and landed it.

22. GJdeux

GJdeux I really bite and yes, I enjoy it

Ratings:
    +333
    you need to listen to that again and again...I'm sure you did, but it was well after the bell, well after it. The left was around bell time, the right was way after

23. Ryann Von Doom

Ryann Von Doom The Man

Ratings:
    +6,040
    okay. Personally, I don't care and agree with Dan Hardy, it's not the fighter's job to listen for the bell.

24. bully4me

bully4me Active Member

Ratings:
    +506
    I agree. The bell alone does NOT equal the end of the round. The ref is the one who stops the round by calling time. Usually they happen pretty much together, the ten second warning letting the ref know it's time to get into position to end the round. You'll always see Big John or Herb get much closer to the fighters after the warning and the split second the bell rings "Time" is called. When fighters are engaging with strikes or submission the ref will make sure to get between and separate the fighters so no more damage occurs. Both times in question the ref was slow to get into position to separate and call time.

Joe's ranting after the first instance overshadowed the ref saying to GDR's corner the strike was good, referring to it being legal. If you watch the ref go over to GDR's corner after the end of the round and pay attention you'll see this. No matter what, the ref is the final say and if he says it's good there is no possible way she could have two separate infractions. After the second offense the ref went to Holly's corner and apologized for ending the round late. Again the ref was slow and admitting this was his fault. SO how can GDR be blamed? Especially when fighters are told to Always Protect Themselves. Note that the remaining rounds the ref was in position and separated and called time in the proper manner. When watching with the sound off and just looking at the ref it doesn't look like late strikes but rather the ref stopping the round.

The unified rules state "The end of a round is signified by the sound of the bell AND the call of TIME by the referee". Nowhere does it say it is just the bell signifying the round. Fighters are also told this in the pre fight talk with the fighters before the card starts.

If anything or anyone is to blame it is the Ref for being slow, he was the one running the show.

#24 bully4me, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Ryann Von Doom

Ryann Von Doom The Man

Ratings:
    +6,040
Draft saved Draft deleted