Holly Holm loses inaugural UFC women's featherweight title fight after dubious non-call by ref

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016

Referee Todd Anderson’s controversial decision not to take a point from Germaine de Randamie during her bout Saturday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn against Holly Holm led directly to the Dutch woman capturing the first women’s featherweight title in the main event of UFC 208.

Judges Chris Lee, Sal D’Amato and Jeff Mullen all scored the bout 48-47 for de Randamie, making her the first women’s featherweight champion in UFC history. Yahoo Sports also had it 48-47 for de Randamie, giving her rounds 1, 3 and 4 and giving Holm rounds 2 and 5.

The hardest punch of the fight was a right hand by de Randamie that landed squarely on the face of Holm at least a full second, if not more, after the bell sounded to end the second round.

De Randamie did it again at the end of Round 3, landing another shot after the bell though this one wasn’t as impactful. Anderson didn’t take a point and warned de Randamie as she walked back to the corner that he’d take a point next time.

But Holm was clearly shaken by the first extremely late blow and there’s no telling what impact it had on her the rest of the way.

“It was in the heat of the moment,” said de Randamie, who said afterward she’ll need surgery on her hand. “I apologize and I didn’t mean to hit her after the bell. It was heat of the moment. I am not that kind of a fighter.”

Holly Holm loses inaugural UFC women's featherweight title fight after dubious non-call by ref

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I have it recorded but not interested in watching to determine if any point taking was warranted.......stopped at the silva interview.......btw, how did silva get that decision?

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
I have it recorded but not interested in watching to determine if any point taking was warranted.......stopped at the silva interview.......btw, how did silva get that decision?
I don't know, didn't see it myself. But it sounds like a typical case of referees out doing themselves, in this case.

“It was in the heat of the moment,” said de Randamie, who said afterward she’ll need surgery on her hand. “I apologize and I didn’t mean to hit her after the bell. It was heat of the moment. I am not that kind of a fighter.”
Her actions say otherwise.

This is one repeating failure of UFC officiating. Kongo used to get away with low blows, Koshcheck got away with fakery....the refs either inject themselves in the action or are too meek.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
I don't know, didn't see it myself. But it sounds like a typical case of referees out doing themselves, in this case.
i didnt see it either. it wasnt as WAY late as rogan was making it out to be.mgranted, i was abolsutely hammed

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Holm didnt lose the title because 1 punch, she got beat 3 rounds to 2... simple put she lost!

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Holm didnt lose the title because 1 punch, she got beat 3 rounds to 2... simple put she lost!
Yeah, and what's the excuse for her other losses. She's been falling short after her loss to Meisha Tate. Meisha took something from her. She was lucky to get the shot, and I think she realises that. She is a classy chick.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, and what's the excuse for her other losses. She's been falling short after her loss to Meisha Tate. Meisha took something from her. She was lucky to get the shot, and I think she realises that. She is a classy chick.
I agree... The UFC rushed this creation of the division, I think it would have been easier to start 125 then 145 but Dana is trying to beat Bellator to the punch. Holm didnt belong in a title fight now shes sitting at 0-3 in last 3 fights..

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The UFC rushed this creation of the division
And all this for Cyborg. After she declined twice, then popped for PED's once again, that is no good start for any division. A controversial win over Holly by Germaine is not a great start either. A Holly win, coming off two losses would be a fucking joke though, that belt is already in question.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I'm halfway through the Glover fight. Todd Anderson also did that fight as he had a nightmare there too wth the standup

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
He was in half guard working. Not even a question of a stall or anything and he jumped in and stood them up... Everyone in the booth was like... Wtf?
Sounds like the guy doesn't know what he is doing!?!

GJdeux

It's SAND
Mar 2, 2015
is there a gif of that; I am convinced that she punched OVER the refs arm which would make it bad intentional. Do I have to go to reddit for a gif?

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Her actions say otherwise.

This is one repeating failure of UFC officiating. Kongo used to get away with low blows, Koshcheck got away with fakery....the refs either inject themselves in the action or are too meek.
Time for replays and review. If something controversial happens there should be a procedure in place for an official to review and redetermine if a point should be taken. Or check the replay during a low blow timeout to see if the five minutes is warranted.

And bring back the damn yellow card!!

GJdeux

It's SAND
Mar 2, 2015
Time for replays and review. If something controversial happens there should be a procedure in place for an official to review and redetermine if a point should be taken. Or check the replay during a low blow timeout to see if the five minutes is warranted.

And bring back the damn yellow card!!

Didn't I hear they are going to use replays somewhere along the line? Maybe on BJM twitter questions or something..I think it is a reality though. Who knows when it will go into affect

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Didn't I hear they are going to use replays somewhere along the line? Maybe on BJM twitter questions or something..I think it is a reality though. Who knows when it will go into affect
Haven't heard, but I'd love to see something like that implemented.

Ed_Stark

I am coming
Oct 24, 2015
Holly was extremely gun shy the entire fight. She didn't do herself any favors by throwing the same combo whenever she did decide to engage. She did land a good left though that hurt randamie towards the end of the 4th I believe. Other than that she was just looking to clinch and hold position.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Well okay, if Germaine de Randamie says it was in the heat of the moment, both times she did it, then there's nothing further to discuss.

GJdeux

It's SAND
Mar 2, 2015
Holly was extremely gun shy the entire fight. She didn't do herself any favors by throwing the same combo whenever she did decide to engage. She did land a good left though that hurt randamie towards the end of the 4th I believe. Other than that she was just looking to clinch and hold position.
yea, that same combo time and time again...nothing else... nothing...well a little something but I'm thinking...you are getting tagged a bit when you go in like that.... maybe change it up? but what do I know... did seem like there was nothing else. Maybe she really did have a rib injury as rumored and couldn't move much. Looked very straight as well.