Holly Holm says you're all wrong

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
That's funny since I heard that her camp originally turned down the fight, until Zuffa pressured them into it.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Yeah it was on a podcast I think, I can't remember which one now. I think it might have been the MMA prospectus with T.P. Grant and Zane Simon, I could be wrong, but I definitely heard that somewhere.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
"I don't choose to feel that way"- Holm
It's very rare to hear someone phrase their thought like that. I wonder how much, if any, mental therapy/counseling sessions she's had. That is awesome & a great reminder.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
She is indeed being rused into the fight, she is atleast 2 years away from a true contender. As much as i dislike rousey, shes gonna stomp a mudhole in holm's ass and walk it dry. No idea why the UFC didnt just go with Tate, atleast she will give some competition.

P

Punch

Jack Slack with some strategy.

LINK to entire article: Killing the Queen: Ronda Rousey | FIGHTLAND
The oblique kick.

The low side kick.

These linear kicks to the knee joint or below are the striker's best friend against grapplers, and most fans were so caught up with Jon Jones' wrestling success in the later rounds versus Daniel Cormier that they missed Cormier walking through dozens of kicks to the lead knee in order to get to the clinch. Additionally, while the side kick to the lead knee is a bit trickier, the oblique kick is a really, really easy technique to perform with power and speed. Rousey has never had to check a low kick in her life, and stands in a wide boxing stance. The oblique kick should give her fits.

Side stepping and snapping out non-commital jabs and oblique kicks seems to be the best idea against Rousey who has never been difficult to hit and whom I sincerely doubt has the gas tank to bull rush for three rounds, let alone five. And that's all a Rousey opponent really needs, for the bull rushes to stop.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I would make out with Holly but I wouldn't tell anyone.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Lets review the Holm timeline to see what's going on here:

October 2013
Dana says Holm is being put on his Radar by fans

Dana White: Everybody is telling to me sign Holly Holm - Bloody Elbow
Also home to his out of context gem of Dana on Holm -- " I haven't seen her fight but I keep hearing about her. She's like the female Conor McGregor"

December 2013
Ronda says she wants to fight Holm before the UFC has even signed her

Ronda Rousey hopes to fight Holly Holm before she retires - Bloody Elbow

June 2014 - Holm not signed yet. Dana says Lorenzo is working on it because Dana's temper would probably screw it all up lol -- Remember Dana called her manager a lunatic and almost screwed it up... true? or a careful good cop/bad cop routine?
Dana White On Holly Holm, Greg Jackson, Women's MMA - Fightline.com

October 2014
Holm is getting questioned about Ronda from the media and finally answers that she doesn't make the call, but she's game if it ever happens. But she's focusing on her next fight.

Holly Holm on fighting Ronda Rousey: 'If they throw me in with Ronda, awesome' - MMA Fighting

November 2014 - Ronda says she wants Holm next
Ronda Rousey praises Cat Zingano, wants to fight Holly Holm next - The Washington Post

Jan 2015, Holm says she has to do a lot more to prove she deserves a title shot -- She would fight 2 more fights before being given a title shot.
Holly Holm: I have a lot to prove before I get a title fight against Ronda Rousey - Bloody Elbow

March 2015, Dana says Holm needs a "couple more fights" before she gets a title shot -- Holm would fight one more fight before being given a title shot
Dana White: Holly Holm 'needs a couple more fights,' Ronda Rousey 'taking a break' for new film - MMAmania.com

Holm wins her most recent fight on July 15, 2015
Doesn't want to pick her next opponent, no mention of Ronda

Despite lack of contenders, Holly Holm in no hurry to call out UFC champ Ronda Rousey - MMAmania.com
Holm just wants to keep improving, hates you keyboard warriors lol
Holly Holm not bothered by keyboard warriors, glad she can improve with each UFC fight - MMAmania.com

August 21, UFC announces Holm vs Ronda for January 2016.

Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm -- not Miesha Tate -- set for UFC 195 - MMAmania.com

August 22, 2015...Holm says she's not sure. "Maybe it's one of those things where they just want to test me out, kind of throw me out there,Maybe it's because they really feel I'm ready"

Holly Holm reacts to Ronda Rousey title fight: 'UFC wants to test me out' - MMAmania.com

7 days later, August 29, 2015 the UFC changes the date 2 months sooner.

Ronda Rousey-Holly Holm fight moved up to UFC 193 in bid to break attendance record - The Washington Post

August 29, 2015 - Holms managers admits they wanted a different fight. "Of course there was hesitation on my part. I asked them for one more fight and they said ‘No, this is the fight we would like you to take,’” Fresquez said. “We’re under contract and they’re our bosses.”

Manager: Holly Holm Will Earn More Fighting Rousey Than Zingano Did at UFC 184

Given the timeline, Holm's statements, Holm's managers statements, and Dana's statements about Holm's advancing, I can only consider that this whole thing is manufactured and is feeding Holm to Ronda...a fight Ronda has wanted for a long time. And now she gets it on the most advantageous schedule possible.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Fucking LOL @ slowing Ronda with an oblique kick. This is an actual MMA breakdown? Ronda closes the distance to fast for that shit to come in to play. Worst case: you don't connect and she throws you on your head. Best case: you connect, delaying her clinch 0.5 seconds, and she still throws you in your head.

Who comes up with this shit?

M

member 603

Lets review the Holm timeline to see what's going on here:

October 2013
Dana says Holm is being put on his Radar by fans

Dana White: Everybody is telling to me sign Holly Holm - Bloody Elbow
Also home to his out of context gem of Dana on Holm -- " I haven't seen her fight but I keep hearing about her. She's like the female Conor McGregor"

December 2013
Ronda says she wants to fight Holm before the UFC has even signed her

Ronda Rousey hopes to fight Holly Holm before she retires - Bloody Elbow

June 2014 - Holm not signed yet. Dana says Lorenzo is working on it because Dana's temper would probably screw it all up lol -- Remember Dana called her manager a lunatic and almost screwed it up... true? or a careful good cop/bad cop routine?
Dana White On Holly Holm, Greg Jackson, Women's MMA - Fightline.com

October 2014
Holm is getting questioned about Ronda from the media and finally answers that she doesn't make the call, but she's game if it ever happens. But she's focusing on her next fight.

Holly Holm on fighting Ronda Rousey: 'If they throw me in with Ronda, awesome' - MMA Fighting

November 2014 - Ronda says she wants Holm next
Ronda Rousey praises Cat Zingano, wants to fight Holly Holm next - The Washington Post

Jan 2015, Holm says she has to do a lot more to prove she deserves a title shot -- She would fight 2 more fights before being given a title shot.
Holly Holm: I have a lot to prove before I get a title fight against Ronda Rousey - Bloody Elbow

March 2015, Dana says Holm needs a "couple more fights" before she gets a title shot -- Holm would fight one more fight before being given a title shot
Dana White: Holly Holm 'needs a couple more fights,' Ronda Rousey 'taking a break' for new film - MMAmania.com

Holm wins her most recent fight on July 15, 2015
Doesn't want to pick her next opponent, no mention of Ronda

Despite lack of contenders, Holly Holm in no hurry to call out UFC champ Ronda Rousey - MMAmania.com
Holm just wants to keep improving, hates you keyboard warriors lol
Holly Holm not bothered by keyboard warriors, glad she can improve with each UFC fight - MMAmania.com

August 21, UFC announces Holm vs Ronda for January 2016.

Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm -- not Miesha Tate -- set for UFC 195 - MMAmania.com

August 22, 2015...Holm says she's not sure. "Maybe it's one of those things where they just want to test me out, kind of throw me out there,Maybe it's because they really feel I'm ready"

Holly Holm reacts to Ronda Rousey title fight: 'UFC wants to test me out' - MMAmania.com

7 days later, August 29, 2015 the UFC changes the date 2 months sooner.

Ronda Rousey-Holly Holm fight moved up to UFC 193 in bid to break attendance record - The Washington Post

August 29, 2015 - Holms managers admits they wanted a different fight. "Of course there was hesitation on my part. I asked them for one more fight and they said ‘No, this is the fight we would like you to take,’” Fresquez said. “We’re under contract and they’re our bosses.”

Manager: Holly Holm Will Earn More Fighting Rousey Than Zingano Did at UFC 184

Given the timeline, Holm's statements, Holm's managers statements, and Dana's statements about Holm's advancing, I can only consider that this whole thing is manufactured and is feeding Holm to Ronda...a fight Ronda has wanted for a long time. And now she gets it on the most advantageous schedule possible.

Absolutely agree.... Ronda has never fought a "striker" before... All her opponents fall on the Grappler/Wrestler/Brawler line.... In fighting Holm, Ronda answers the "yeah but how would she do against a legit striker" question, without facing a opponent who is a solid MMA striker (even though the UFC will sell Holly Holm as the greatest striker since Ali). Ronda gets a cheap win here against an opponent who isn't truly ready... And gets to say that she beat a "dangerous striker" without ever having to face a true dangerous striker (*cough* Cyborg *cough*)

P

Punch

Fucking LOL @ slowing Ronda with an oblique kick. This is an actual MMA breakdown? Ronda closes the distance to fast for that shit to come in to play. Worst case: you don't connect and she throws you on your head. Best case: you connect, delaying her clinch 0.5 seconds, and she still throws you in your head.

I'd say Holm's best weapon is her kicks. What else from Jack's article that i linked do you feel she'd be better suited to utilizing in the cage?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Maybe her time with Jones allowed her to master this technique.

CaffeineBomb

Sep 8, 2015
Have to agree, Holm isn't ready for the fight. It's a shame, but it's the price of having such a dominant champ, a relatively shallow division and an organisation that doesn't book WMMA fights as often as the men to build up contenders.

Still, at least she's a different challenge for Rousey. Should be interesting to see how willing she is to throw her kicks while Rousey is rushing in.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I'd say Holm's best weapon is her kicks. What else from Jack's article that i linked do you feel she'd be better suited to utilizing in the cage?
Nothing, shes gonna be finished pretty quick because she doesnt belong in there.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
She needs to work on circling away and throwing a LHK against a charging Ronda. She's going to get one shot, it's going to happen between 3 and 5 seconds into the fight, and then it's going to be gone. If she tries something as stupid as a fucking oblique kick she's going to look as foolish as Cat Zingano.

nni

Jan 21, 2015

People with actual knowledge of MMA?

Jack Slack is one of the best MMA analysts. You are embarrassing yourself with those comments.