Holm: July is too far away

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm doesn’t care what opponent she faces in her first title defense. Of bigger concern is the amount of time she’ll have to wait to fight.

“The only thing about July is that it’s eight months away from my last fight,” she told MMAjunkie on Saturday. “That’s the biggest thing. I don’t like to wait that long.”

Holm wants to make the UFC happy and will abide by the promotion’s wishes about her career. But she said waiting until this summer to fight again puts her in unfamiliar territory.

“I feel like a rematch is just the unspoken, yeah, that’s got to happen,” she told MMAjunkie. “A fight in between now and then, I feel like that’s like, yes, let’s stay active. There’s a lot of things that can be.

“In boxing, I did 10 years straight of having four fights a year, and so to wait eight months, it’s out of my norm.”

Since she’s embarked on a career in MMA, Holm has had to slow down a bit. Prior to signing with the UFC, she was inactive for 10 months as her management engaged in sometimes contentious negotiations with the promotion. She debuted in February, winning back-to-back bouts before her title shot against Rousey.

After winning the bantamweight title, the new champ is preparing herself for an even slower pace.

“I’ll be OK with it if (I fight at UFC 200),” she said. “We’ll just see what happens, and see how the cards unfold.”

LINK; Holly Holm’s biggest problem with Ronda Rousey rematch at UFC 200? Too far away | MMAjunkie

M

member 3289

Nunes vs Pena
This I agree with.

As for Holm fighting anyone but Rousey first, I've said in other threads why that won't and shouldn't happen.

Suck it up and enjoy being champion for a while, Holly. The payday will make it worth the wait.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
This I agree with.

As for Holm fighting anyone but Rousey first, I've said in other threads why that won't and shouldn't happen.

Suck it up and enjoy being champion for a while, Holly. The payday will make it worth the wait.
You see her point though- they'll make her wait for a fight in Jult that won't happen. Ronda won't be ready. So she'll have sat on the shelf for nothing.

M

member 3289

You see her point though- they'll make her wait for a fight in Jult that won't happen. Ronda won't be ready. So she'll have sat on the shelf for nothing.
If Ronda truly isn't ready in July, then I can see her point.

But honestly if she has to wait up to a year, so be it.

She may be a huge favorite against Tate or Nunes or Pena or whoever, but the UFC will not risk jeopardizing the big money rematch.

Holly shouldn't either.

GJdeux

It's SAND
Mar 2, 2015
This I agree with.

maybe she isn't worried about the payday, not everyone loves money the way some do. she just wants to fight. what if she gets injured while training....they it's a year for a defense. nonsense. I;m beginning to get really disgusted with the sport/entertainment

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If Ronda truly isn't ready in July, then I can see her point.

But honestly if she has to wait up to a year, so be it.

She may be a huge favorite against Tate or Nunes or Pena or whoever, but the UFC will not risk jeopardizing the big money rematch.

Holly shouldn't either.
Well they need to pay her while she sits then, right? The woman shouldn't be forced to not earn a living, because Zuffa wants to maximize the rematch money.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Nope. Holm hasn't earned an easy fight yet.

Holm/Nunes

Tate/Bethe (Tate wanted an easy fight like Ronda's been getting so there it is)

Pena/Cat

Ronda/Eye (Good tune up fight for Ronda against a striker)
These match ups also make sense.

M

member 3289

Well they need to pay her while she sits then, right? The woman shouldn't be forced to not earn a living, because Zuffa wants to maximize the rematch money.
She makes more money by waiting as well. Of course Zuffa has gone over or will go over the figures with her.

I would imagine she gets a new contract with the condition that Rousey is her first defense, but that's just me speculating.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
She makes more money by waiting as well. Of course Zuffa has gone over or will go over the figures with her.

I would imagine she gets a new contract with the condition that Rousey is her first defense, but that's just me speculating.
Maybe and if that's the case, that's awesome for her. I hope it is. But then we have this other hurdle to clear, which is Holly wants to stay active.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Maybe and if that's the case, that's awesome for her. I hope it is. But then we have this other hurdle to clear, which is Holly wants to stay active.
Dana is the boss. You do what the boss says. It's not like Ronda is going to have an advantage in this case. Ronda isn't one for long layoffs either - 3 title fights this year.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Jesus, just let her fight if she wants. Why does a rematch with Ronda HAVE to be at UFC 200. There's a shitload of good fights they can put on that card...it can do without Ronda if need be.

M

member 3289

Jesus, just let her fight if she wants. Why does a rematch with Ronda HAVE to be at UFC 200. There's a shitload of good fights they can put on that card...it can do without Ronda if need be.
She doesn't seem that upset about having to wait.

Btw didn't you win $50 in a PayPal bet with hendofanforlife @hendofanforlife ?

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
She doesn't seem that upset about having to wait.

Btw didn't you win $50 in a PayPal bet with hendofanforlife @hendofanforlife ?
"

“The only thing about July is that it’s eight months away from my last fight,” she told MMAjunkie on Saturday. “That’s the biggest thing. I don’t like to wait that long.”

I'm sure she won't raise a huge stink if she has to wait, but it sounds like she's not too thrilled about it either.

M

member 3289

"

I'm sure she won't raise a huge stink if she has to wait, but it sounds like she's not too thrilled about it either.
“I’ll be OK with it if (I fight at UFC 200),” she said.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
what annoys me in boxing is champions only fight once a year maybe twice,a fighter should be allowed to schedule their fights how they want if both parties agree.