Holm: Team upset about Overeem vs. Arlovski

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The coaches and fighters down at JacksonWink MMA have had an idea for quite some time that two of their athletes were going to have to fight one day. There have been rumblings of that in the past. And it kind of comes with the territory when you're one of the best MMA camps on the planet.

Yet this particular one has hit the squad hard. Alistair Overeem and Andrei Arlovski, two very well-liked fighters in Albuquerque, are targeted to face off in the main event of UFC Fight Night 87 on May 8 in the Netherlands.

"The coaches have literally lost sleep over that one," Holm said at a media lunch Monday here in Downtown LA.

"We actually had a team meeting before," Holm said. "This is not something we have to overlook. It could happen, because we do have the best gym in the world and we're producing great fighters. We knew that this might happen eventually."

"That was actually awkward," Holm said. "Sarah and I talked on the phone about it. [We said] hopefully we're gonna see if they can put something else together. Out of all the girls in the division, this is like the only one that I trained with.

"It's not like it's a title fight. I get if it's a title fight, because only one person gets to have the title. All the other matchups, why do they have to make this one? There are plenty of other girls out there."

"It's not the first time we've had to deal with something like that on our team, but this is a pretty big one," Holm said. "They were both kind of on this big comeback streak. Who wants to knock the other one right back? But like I said, we're all in this sport for a reason. We want to reach the top."

LINK: Holly Holm says coaches have 'literally lost sleep' over Alistair Overeem vs. Andrei Arlovski matchup

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
damn I thought they wanted to fight each other, as it never happened during Strikeforce.

so they were really given the ultimatum of "fight each other or don't fight at all" ?

does Jackson's even have any other HWs in the UFC?

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
ohhhhhh isn't the baby rapist now available? that could be a good one for Arlovski coming off that KO loss.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
damn I thought they wanted to fight each other, as it never happened during Strikeforce.

so they were really given the ultimatum of "fight each other or don't fight at all" ?

does Jackson's even have any other HWs in the UFC?
Jon Jones

P

Punch

but most of it will go to the upper body, no?
Oh yeah. He's just got twiggy legs and can only get so big there with his body type. He's very good at using his length instead of strength for leverage so it doesn't seem to impede him as much as it would most people.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
3 years ago it seems. so you think he has doubled the size of his calfs in that time?
Have you not seen his dead lifting videos? He's put some weight on, and at his age 3 years is a long time. Especially for a pro athlete

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
Have you not seen his dead lifting videos? He's put some weight on, and at his age 3 years is a long time. Especially for a pro athlete
mmhm but he's still fighting at LHW so I guess I'm on the fence till he does indeed take a fight at HW.

Severianb

Posting Machine
Aug 5, 2015
Even weirder than matching two teammates is the fact Arlovski just lost and is being put in the cage with a top 5 fighter again.

Shouldn't he be getting an easier fight?