General Holy fuck! No, seriously, HOLY FUCK! (Nature at work)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Lots of food and good weather.
It really is that simple. They have taken over as the apex predator and are consuming a huge percentage of the food base. Many other animals rely on that same food base, and the pythons are buzz-sawing their way through it.

Similar to hog hunting in Texas, I believe Florida has implemented targeted hunting programs for pythons. Will be tough to keep up....

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
It really is that simple. They have taken over as the apex predator and are consuming a huge percentage of the food base. Many other animals rely on that same food base, and the pythons are buzz-sawing their way through it.

Similar to hog hunting in Texas, I believe Florida has implemented targeted hunting programs for pythons. Will be tough to keep up....

M

member 3289

Wonder what caused that increase
More people more pythons caught?
Or the python numbers are just huge and they're taking over Florida?
Pets that outgrew their tank and retarded owners who didn't want to kill them but also didn't want to care for them any more. We have a similar problem with green iguanas, except they're everywhere and not only in the Everglades. They don't wipe out mammal populations though, they just shit everywhere.

Hurricane Andrew in 1992 also destroyed a snake breeding facility in Miami that was close to the Everglades.

No one knows for sure but experts think that most of the snakes came from the destroyed breeding facility.

M

member 3289

Here's another chart showing the lengths of the pythons caught:

2 of the 3 of the 17+ footers were caught at the end of last year, so I misspoke slightly when I told N @Never_Rolled that the 3 biggest has been caught under the program in the last year.

The third one I was referencing was not caught by a licensed python hunter in the program but rather a team of scientists who had intentionally released a male python with a radio collar. They wanted him to bring them to a large female, and he did:

Scientists just captured a record 17-foot-long python in Florida

Title is sensationalized a little, as it is only the largest snake caught in one section of the Everglades. The largest was over 18 feet (one of the ones caught this past winter) and was caught in the python elimination program that the charts I've posted are from.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015

2 of the 3 of the 17+ footers were caught at the end of last year, so I misspoke slightly when I told N @Never_Rolled that the 3 biggest has been caught under the program in the last year.

The third one I was referencing was not caught by a licensed python hunter in the program but rather a team of scientists who had intentionally released a male python with a radio collar. They wanted him to bring them to a large female, and he did:

Title is sensationalized a little, as it is only the largest snake caught in one section of the Everglades. The largest was over 18 feet (one of the ones caught this past winter) and was caught in the python elimination program that the charts I've posted are from.
In Australia you can do your part by killing the invasive species pretty much on sight. Cane toad for example.
Can you do the same in Florida? Whack a snake anytime you see one?

M

member 3289

In Australia you can do your part by killing the invasive species pretty much on sight. Cane toad for example.
Can you do the same in Florida? Whack a snake anytime you see one?
If it is on your property you are allowed to kill it. You are even allowed to shoot it with a pellet gun, provided there are no local ordinances that say you can't (I can't think of any in south Florida that would prohibit it).

You just have to kill it "humanely", which means you have to kill it in one blow to the head/brain so that it doesn't suffer. A shotgun or pellet gun would work, as would bashing their fookin head against a rock (100% serious).

Removing Pythons in Florida

Last edited by a moderator:

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015

They must be really thriving in that environment.

M

member 3289

They must be really thriving in that environment.
It's ideal for them in terms of heat, humidity, and access to water sources. Florida is #1 in the world for invasive species because anything that can survive in the humid jungle shitholes of central/South America or southeast Asia (like the Burmese python) can also survive here.

M

member 3289

Local residents of a Palm Beach county community were warned last week about Nile Monitor lizards in their neighborhood.

There's a really annoying chick from PBC that posts on here. Hopefully one of the monitors ate her.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Hurricane Andrew in 1992 also destroyed a snake breeding facility in Miami that was close to the Everglades.

No one knows for sure but experts think that most of the snakes came from the destroyed breeding facility.
Nutria took over the country because a fur farm in Louisiana got destroyed in a Hurricane...fuckers are everywhere and thriving

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Mayland was able to get rid of them. Just takes some political will.
Good for them, probably took a lot of work

That would be very difficult here I would think...they are all over city waterways and also remote areas.