How about Bones at Heavy in 2020

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015

LAS VEGAS -- Jon Jones' jump to the heavyweight division could happen sooner rather than later, and possibly as early as after his next title defense.

Jones, the UFC light heavyweight champion, said at a news conference Friday that it was a "very strong possibility" he will move divisions after fighting Dominick Reyes in the main event of UFC 247 on Feb. 8 in Houston.
I think it's a very strong possibility -- absolutely," Jones said at a UFC 247 news conference. "Absolutely. There's always gonna be someone next [at light heavyweight]. I feel as if I've cleared the division and I'm waiting around and I'm taking on new challenges. I'm not sitting on the title; I'm not hiding from anybody. I chose Dominick because he appears to be the best out of all of my contenders. And I'm just ready to take over the world, man. Really."

Jones (25-1, 1 NC), arguably the best MMA fighter of all time, beat Thiago Santos to retain the belt at UFC 239 on July 6. After that, he said he considered moving up to heavyweight and was trying to get a bout with heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic. Miocic beat Daniel Cormier to regain the UFC heavyweight belt at UFC 241 in August. The third Miocic-Cormier fight is expected for sometime in the first half of 2020.

"After the Thiago Santos fight, I was at a place where I wanted to start entertaining the heavyweight division," Jones said. "I've been wrestling my brother [former NFL offensive lineman Arthur Jones] my whole life. I've been [training] with Andrei Arlovski and [Alistair] Overeem and all these big guys my whole career, and I've always done well. At 240, I move just as fast as I do at light heavyweight. My versatility I realize is not things most heavyweights would do -- spinning things, flying knees. Things like that. I feel really good. I think the timing is gonna be really close. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened [in 2020]."

Reyes, a southpaw slugger from California, is undefeated and ranked No. 4 by ESPN among light heavyweights. Jones said right now he's walking at 230 pounds with a six-pack, and he's confident that he'll not only make 205 pounds but do so while at a physical peak.

"I feel like I'm gonna be bigger than Dominick, just more athletic, more hungry, more out prove, more on the line," Jones said. "This s--- means so much to me. This is my life, dude. I'm gonna get him."
Jones: 'Strong possibility' I'm heavyweight in '20

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Lets not pretend he isn't cycling some designer roid at the moment either...dude is a dirty dirty dog

Edit: please refrain from unsubstantiated PED allegations - L

Last edited by a moderator:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
How dare you Sir! He's as clean as they get. Really!

No.

Not really.
oh those dogs are loving it
awesome

USADA is such a joke, they make new rules depending on test results...Hope they are bending rules for all fighters, but I suspect it only gets bent for big $$$ fighters.

Jones def needs to fight HWs.
Would gain a ton of respect if he fought a bunch of HWs and had some finishes.
Lately he is decisions mostly with two finishes...one against DC and one against injured gustafson.
HW is not the place for win streaks to last long...anybody testing themselves there is facing the Highest test IMO...just ask Reem's lip how fast that division can get ya.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
oh those dogs are loving it
awesome

USADA is such a joke, they make new rules depending on test results...Hope they are bending rules for all fighters, but I suspect it only gets bent for big $$$ fighters.

Jones def needs to fight HWs.
Would gain a ton of respect if he fought a bunch of HWs and had some finishes.
Lately he is decisions mostly with two finishes...one against DC and one against injured gustafson.
HW is not the place for win streaks to last long...anybody testing themselves there is facing the Highest test IMO...just ask Reem's lip how fast that division can get ya.
I heard the first Gustafson fight was only close cause Jon was partying until the week before the fight and didn’t train at all.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
He's failed multiple drug tests and hid under a practice cage so let me know when he's clean and I'll allow it

And i mean zero fucking picograms

M

member 3289

For how many years has he been talking about moving up?
He offered to fight Stipe years ago but the UFC declined.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we find out that he's been pushing for a move up behind the scenes and it has been the promotion holding him back.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
This dude’s position on moving up changes as often as the weather. Do it or don’t do it. Just please stop teasing it if you aren’t going to do it.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Bones is scared to move up.

Bones keeps calling out Izzy saying its a fair fight because Izzy weights within 25 pounds of him... In the next breath Jones states he hasnt gone to HW because those guys are so much bigger.

Bones stated this week he is walking around at 230lbs... So then isnt HW's like Stipe within 20-25lbs of Jones? According to Jones' logic, thats a fair fight.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Interesting timing. Gonna move up to HW after DC retires and will then have two weight classes between he and Stylebender.

M

member 3289

Interesting timing. Gonna move up to HW after DC retires and will then have two weight classes between he and Stylebender.
Yeah I'm sure he's going out of his way to avoid a guy he beat twice and a guy with no ground game