How accurate is this body fat calculator?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I've used electronic measurements, skinfold calipers and online calculators before. Never done the water tank.

Really, what use is the number? It pretty much comes down to whether or not you can see a six pack. Yes? You're under 10%. No? You're over 10%. Give or take.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
True, I suppose it's an extra motivator but like you said seeing results is the biggest indicator

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
No. This is not a accurate matrix to be used. Trust me. Ive been a victim of this standard myself. When I was active duty Navy, using this body fat calculator, I was way over body fat percentage. Im 5'11 and weighed 180 lbs for my 8 year enlistment. But my skinny ass neck threw the math off. Im not kidding, my buddy Bucket head was a fat fuck who could make his neck the size of my waist when it came time to measure. Luckily i never had to go to fat boy camp or mando PT cuz i still came in under body weight. Overweight plus out of body fat standards equals mando. It was just a joke the way they did it. Not sure whats changed since 2005.

Last edited:

MikeDolce

www.thedolcediet.com
Pro Fighter
Sep 13, 2015
If you really want an accurate body fat reading, look for a BOD POD in your area. Most facilities will try to charge you $40-$50 per session but you can usually negotiate 3 sessions for $100. I'd suggest getting them done every 6 weeks to track your progress. This is what I have most of my athletes do.