General How do you get your news?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
Just curious.

I can be a bit of a news junkie at times and I'm also interested in the news business itself, so I spend a lot of time checking out various news outlets.

Personally, I have a few news apps on my phone that aggregate articles from various sources, and when I'm not checking those then I'm either watching Fox News, CBSN (CBS's streaming news service), RT or (VERY occasionally) CNN.

So, first off, do you consume much news at all in your daily life? And second, when you do choose to get informed, where do you go?

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
ABC generally when I wake up. I put Good Morning America on because I really like Strahan. I know it’s not a great uninformed look for me, but I don’t need to know the intracasies of what’s going on at all times.

I have David Muir on in the background while I cook dinner, that’s about it really.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
ABC generally when I wake up. I put Good Morning America on because I really like Strahan. I know it’s not a great uninformed look for me, but I don’t need to know the intracasies of what’s going on at all times.

I have David Muir on in the background while I cook dinner, that’s about it really.
Interesting, so you watch the nightly news on ABC. I know the regular networks have lost a lot of news viewership over the last decade, both to the Internet and to cable outlets. But I think they're still averaging like 10 million viewers a night, which remains far more than cable news usually pulls in in prime time.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
Twitter and then do my own research. I cant stand any of the msm outlets for more than 5 minutes at a time.
The MSM has developed a bad reputation for itself--and perhaps rightfully so in a lot of regards--but I am not prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Interesting, so you watch the nightly news on ABC. I know the regular networks have lost a lot of news viewership over the last decade, both to the Internet and to cable outlets. But I think they're still averaging like 10 million viewers a night, which remains far more than cable news usually pulls in in prime time.
I don't watch it intently but since I moved to the US 4 years ago, it's just routine to have it on in the background while I cook.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
The MSM has developed a bad reputation for itself--and perhaps rightfully so in a lot of regards--but I am not prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water.
You have to take it with a grain of salt and do your own research. DTA

I have also found some useful info from the debates here. Its usually pretty partisan but once you wade through the muck you can find some truth.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Twitter to get the headlines and then reuters, cnn, fox, BBC, etc to follow up.

If it's something could be available on a local network channel/site then I'll go to it.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
You have to take it with a grain of salt and do your own research. DTA

I have also found some useful info from the debates here. Its usually pretty partisan but once you wade through the much you can find some truth.
I agree that you have to fact check those guys. But in general, I still think that most journalists are still interested in doing good journalism. Mistakes will be made, but I tend to believe that MOST journalists--even within the MSM--aren't going to just make shit up that they don't have sources to support.

I think what you're more likely to find than outright lies is bias in the form of the stories they choose to report and just generally not producing a balanced picture, especially in regard to politics.

I also think it's important to separate out the actual news coverage from the opinion shows. For instance, I know within Fox News the news side of the business (which includes guys like Shep Smith, Chris Wallace and Bret Baier) is often at odds with the opinion side (Hannity most notably) and sometimes the feuding has become public.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I hate to say it, but Daily Mail for headlines. I don't trust a word they say, but I do look it up for headlines, to see if the world's about to burn tomorrow type stuff.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i pretty much stick to r/TheDonald ,breitbart, the rebel ,r/Metacanada.i dont want to hear any liberal bullshit

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I flushed all MSM bout 10 years back

I will consider any story or narrative...but I am so skeptical I rarely will believe anything I cannot witness, reproduce or verify.

Leaves me constantly in the grey area between black and white.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I read the Wall Street Journal & Investors Business Daily when I wake up. I don't tweet, but I use Twitter as a news aggregator throughout the day for mostly finanace & baseball stuff these days

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
I flushed all MSM bout 10 years back

I will consider any story or narrative...but I am so skeptical I rarely will believe anything I cannot witness, reproduce or verify.

Leaves me constantly in the grey area between black and white.
I actually took some journalism classes a few years ago and worked as a reporter for the school paper for a time, before going on to do some freelance magazine writing. So I have something of a personal connection to the field, which may be why I try to be pretty even-handed with these guys.

I imagine a world where there is no news business at all and it does not seem like a good alternative to our present circumstances.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I get my news from Enock-O-Lypse Now! @ENOCK
certainly some great threads started by him...mostly falling on deaf ears

I think most of his content will prove out over time...some powerful groups and elites are playing us, as they play the long game

That said, I am a white belt on many of his topics

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I actually took some journalism classes a few years ago and worked as a reporter for the school paper for a time, before going on to do some freelance magazine writing. So I have something of a personal connection to the field, which may be why I try to be pretty even-handed with these guys.

I imagine the world where there is no news business at all and it does not seem like a good alternative to our present circumstances.
true freelance and independent content is out there...hard to find and often suppressed or discredited by MSM

true freelance and independent content is valuable and appreciated for sure

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
true freelance and independent content is out there...hard to find and often suppressed or discredited by MSM

true freelance and independent content is valuable and appreciated for sure
The problem with trying to make this distinction, I think, is that even the independent outlets are almost always trying to make money, which still makes them beholden on some level to their sponsors.

Let me tell you a story. . .

Like I said, I used to write for a school paper. This was a handful of years ago now and was just at a small community college.

One day, one of my fellow reporters wanted to write a somewhat scandalous story about a local textbook store, based upon a handful of experiences some students had had there. Well, the editor of the paper flatly told him that, no, he couldn't write that story.

Why? Because that bookstore was one of their biggest advertisers.

I was floored. Just fucking amazed. It seemed to me that at least in college, before you get out into the real world, your educators would insist on pure and proper journalistic integrity. It was a huge lesson for me, because it showed me that at EVERY level some kind compromises must be made. I think it's just inevitable.

Like I said, baby and the bathwater. Unfortunately, there will always be bathwater. This doesn't mean, of course, that we shouldn't demand excellence from our press outlets.

Michael Mann's The Insider is a good movie about this topic:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kZaJhZMgs0

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
The problem with trying to make this distinction, I think, is that even the independent outlets are almost always trying to make money, which still makes them beholden on some level to their sponsors.

Let me tell you a story. . .

Like I said, I used to write for a school paper. This was a handful of years ago now and was just at a small community college.

One day, one of my fellow reporters wanted to write a somewhat scandalous story about a local textbook store, based upon a handful of experiences some students had had there. Well, the editor of the paper flatly told him that, no, he couldn't write that story.

Why? Because that bookstore was one of their biggest advertisers.

I was floored. Just fucking amazed. It seemed to me that at least in college, before you get out into the real world, your educators would insist on pure and proper journalistic integrity. It was a huge lesson for me, because it showed me that at EVERY level some kind compromises must be made. I think it's just inevitable.

Like I said, baby and the bathwater. Unfortunately, there will always be bathwater. This doesn't mean, of course, that we shouldn't demand excellence from our press outlets.

Michael Mann's The Insider is a good movie about this topic:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kZaJhZMgs0
that settles that, scandalous stories about textbook stores don't belong on the shelf

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I agree that you have to fact check those guys. But in general, I still think that most journalists are still interested in doing good journalism. Mistakes will be made, but I tend to believe that MOST journalists--even within the MSM--aren't going to just make shit up that they don't have sources to support.

I think what you're more likely to find than outright lies is bias in the form of the stories they choose to report and just generally not producing a balanced picture, especially in regard to politics.

I also think it's important to separate out the actual news coverage from the opinion shows. For instance, I know within Fox News the news side of the business (which includes guys like Shep Smith, Chris Wallace and Bret Baier) is often at odds with the opinion side (Hannity most notably) and sometimes the feuding has become public.
Its not what they report but what they leave out

View: https://youtu.be/7SxHOLWiUnA

If you can watch this and take cnn at their word ever again then there is no hope for you.

And I am sure we can do the same for every other news outlet, this is just one that stands out for the outright lie.