Society How do you say "Florida"?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

With 3 syllables or 2?

Because 2 is the only correct answer. It's Flor-da, not Flo-ri-da. The "i" is silent.

I get that we're the only place in the continental US that actually has pleasant weather atm, but ffs if you're gonna visit our beautiful state then at least learn to pronounce it correctly.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
With 3 syllables or 2?

Because 2 is the only correct answer. It's Flor-da, not Flo-ri-da. The "i" is silent.

I get that we're the only place in the continental US that actually has pleasant weather atm, but ffs if you're gonna visit our beautiful state then at least learn to pronounce it correctly.
You left out the most common pronunciation. Flawr-i-duh

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Flor-da is how bumpkins pronounce it, so we now gain a better understanding of who you really are....
It's like people pronouncing Baltimore as balmore....only Baltimorons pronounce it that way.....
So, that being said, we have a label for you:

Flordamoron

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
the spanish pronunciation is Floh-ree-dah.

given it's history that is probably the correct pronunciation:

"Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León and his expedition were the first documented Europeans to land on the Florida peninsula. He landed on the East Coast, near present-day St. Augustine. Ponce de León named the peninsula "Florida" as the season was "Pascua Florida"

Florida also means "Flowery" in Spanish the language the word "Florida" comes from.

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
With 3 syllables or 2?

Out of curiosity, how many syllables does Australia have when you pronounce it?

M

member 3289

Also Joemacka @Michael Mcgregor makes fun of the way I pronounce "Miami". I say "my-ãe-mee" while he says "my-ah-muh".

This is complete bullshit because it's our city, not an English city. He shouldn't be allowed to make fun of me.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Is this like how non Canadians pronounce Toronto? It's Tor-on-o, I've never used the last t.

To answer the OP I say Flor-i-da

M

member 3289

Is this like how non Canadians pronounce Toronto? It's Tor-on-o, I've never used the last t.
Linguistic process in North American English called t-deletion, in which the "t" is not pronounced when it follows "n" unless it's in a stressed syllable. I also say Toronto as To-ro-no. You probably also say rental as rennal, dentist as dennist, winter as winner, internet as innernet, etc.

Both Americans and Canadians do this, especially in relaxed speech.

To answer the OP I say Flor-i-da
You say it wrong, then. Stay out until you get it right.