How hard to create an app?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
How hard is it to create an app? I've had this idea floating around in my head for a couple of years now. I'd like to get IWEI input. I think birdwatcher and a few others might have some good input too. He created this kick ass place so who better to ask. It might even already be out there but I looked and can't find it. I might just need somebody to tell me it's not possible so I can finally drop it out of my brain housing.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Basically events. Any kind.

Events as in the discussion night of? A Calendar of reminders? can you be more specific on what you're expecting that isn't offered?

I don't use apps for browsing sites like this, I just use browsers and zoom around. Now the WEBM files are kind excessive even on my tower which has a lot of power but I just don't use any apps so I don't know what other apps offer for MMA sites personally.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It wouldn't be for MMA. It's for everything: festivals, fairs, races, games...

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It wouldn't be for MMA. It's for everything: festivals, fairs, races, games...
Oh, then it really depends on the sophistication of your database and if you intend to have any e-commerce involved. If not you really just have to decide how you gather and display the info.

Complexity all really depends on how much security you need overall and the degrees of it. If you're just serving info it's not terribly hard just writing mainly scripts to retrieved the data based on your form searches and featured events etc. To gather the data you can either scrape other sites for it (requires more work at first and can get complex but is much more adaptable later) or create a system of submissions (needs a community or incentive for the continued content and involvement) or do the work yourself (not likely in the long run but you can at first as it is incredibly time consuming as you expand the types of events you want to track).

My answer is more vague than people who have actual experience in writing them would give, I know the jist of what is entailed but I have never written a full app, Splinty may have and in this site's function he is part of, is guaranteed to have more experience than I do right now.