How long has a comic effected your emotional state?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Because of the serial nature of comics and their usually predictable release schedule, it can seem as if characters journeys are part of our lives. Soap operas have a similar effect as investment in the characters decision making is key to sustaining viewership.

When I was younger reading comics, the continuity seemed to be well maintained while modern comics seem more like narrative arcs in characters lives. There's more emphasis on craft now so every comic feels like a TV show with seasons, sometimes by different showrunners. Borrowing from the independents, comics are more artsy now. Comics prior to the 2000s may have been less well executed, but I feel they may have yielded longer term emotional effects because they were so character driven.

It's just as likely that their emotional impact felt stronger because they were targeted toward children and my childhood and adolescence is when I was consuming them.

Thoughts?

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Nostalgia is the driving force behind why I'm still collecting superhero comics. I don't have a huge investment to current story arcs and that might be in part to the always changing continuity.

Independent comics are where it's at, imo, for emotional attachment to story and characters. They tell a whole and cohesive story unlike superhero books, like kneeblock @Kneeblock mentioned, are just arcs of a bigger story.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Nostalgia is the driving force behind why I'm still collecting superhero comics. I don't have a huge investment to current story arcs and that might be in part to the always changing continuity.

Independent comics are where it's at, imo, for emotional attachment to story and characters. They tell a whole and cohesive story unlike superhero books, like kneeblock @Kneeblock mentioned, are just arcs of a bigger story.
Agreed. It's no accident Kirkman, for example, is so successful. He gets it.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Agreed. It's no accident Kirkman, for example, is so successful. He gets it.
I'm surprised Kirkman has found as much success as he has. To me he has a circular style of storytelling. At least in Walking Dead and Invincible. I enjoyed both those quite a bit but the longer I read the more it felt like he was repeating himself.
I know you only choice Kirkman as an example but imo Rick Remender is writing the best stories on the shelves. He's crafting great characters with interesting stories and also adding personal undertones. I can't recommend his stuff enough. Now depending on your tastes all his stuff might not be for everyone but he's involved in different genres.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I'm surprised Kirkman has found as much success as he has. To me he has a circular style of storytelling. At least in Walking Dead and Invincible. I enjoyed both those quite a bit but the longer I read the more it felt like he was repeating himself.
I know you only choice Kirkman as an example but imo Rick Remender is writing the best stories on the shelves. He's crafting great characters with interesting stories and also adding personal undertones. I can't recommend his stuff enough. Now depending on your tastes all his stuff might not be for everyone but he's involved in different genres.
I like Remender, but his dialogue is hit or miss for me. I think Kirkman is probably the only must read for me these days because he hits on my nostalgia of the way genre comics used to be while updating the tropes for modern times.

Dead Again

Oct 10, 2017
I've always found it hard for monthly comics to effect my emotional state. Too much time in between books. Runs I read after they were completed were Punisher Max, 100 Bullets, Walking Dead up until issue 88. I read those over the span of a few days each and they really dug in for me.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
The only comic that really resonated with me on a personal level is X-Factor #87. I still think about it from time to time, including yesterday afternoon.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I've always found it hard for monthly comics to effect my emotional state. Too much time in between books. Runs I read after they were completed were Punisher Max, 100 Bullets, Walking Dead up until issue 88. I read those over the span of a few days each and they really dug in for me.
That name...Is that really you old friend? Glad to see you here if so.

I'd say definitely get back into TWD. It continues to deliver the gut punches. The monthly schedule I think impacted me more as a kid when time seemed to just drift by.

Dead Again

Oct 10, 2017
That name...Is that really you old friend? Glad to see you here if so.

I'd say definitely get back into TWD. It continues to deliver the gut punches. The monthly schedule I think impacted me more as a kid when time seemed to just drift by.
Yep, It's me from the old GG. Trying this forum out after a long break from forums.

I kept up with TWD, I just didn't start until 88 issues were out and read those in the span of a few short days.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Yep, It's me from the old GG. Trying this forum out after a long break from forums.

I kept up with TWD, I just didn't start until 88 issues were out and read those in the span of a few short days.
It's a good place (most of the time). Hope you stick around.

madmav

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2016
i once read a r crumb comic on acid.. i swear i saw the meaning of life..

good times..