How much carbs should i be eating?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Resting is when your muscles grow. Wouldn't be surprised if you're not growing because you can't get out of your own way.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Ok well I'll give you my advice very clearly and then you can do with it as you want.

Weights: 4 days of weight training and 2 days of cardio is way too much if you're a hard gainer looking to add muscle. I would drop all your isolation work (lateral raises, biceps, triceps etc). Actually, I would (and do) follow the workout I outlined in my Strength thread. I would do a maximum of 3 days per week strength training and 2 would be better.

Cardio: maximum one day a week.

Diet: lots of protein (probably 1.5g/lb of bodyweight or similar), lots of good carbs and don't be shy of natural fats. Stay away from processed and junk food, including soft drinks and alcohol.

If you want to gain muscle, you are going to have to EAT. You might gain a little fat but not too much if your carb sources are clean. Yes calories in vs calories out is true but you won't get fat eating a shed load of fruit, veg, meat, eggs and nuts.

To give you some perspective, I was skinny and couldn't gain weight (I'm now 40 and still can't get fat even on pizza and icecream every day). I lift for 1 hour per week and I'd consider myself pretty muscular.
Can you arrange to have sent this post to me back in around 1988? You would have saved me 15 years of more or less pointless high volume mostly isolation exercise workouts that did wonders for my stocky lifting buddies, but essentially jack squat for me.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
week one of following Leigh @Leigh weight lifting advice done, 5x5 with 60%. I have cardio on saturday and then start again next week. I normally do some push ups and pull ups at the end of my cardio, I assume that is still ok?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
week one of following Leigh @Leigh weight lifting advice done, 5x5 with 60%. I have cardio on saturday and then start again next week. I normally do some push ups and pull ups at the end of my cardio, I assume that is still ok?
If you have to, I guess. Don't go to failure.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
If you have to, I guess. Don't go to failure.

well if you think its a bad idea I wont. Only reason I was considering it is because I had noticed when I do push ups after not doing them for long periods i am slightly sore in spots the next day, which made me think they were working muscles that my normal weight lifting did not. Pull ups were just to give me something to do between sets of pushups, I am doing rows on the weightlifting days so not doing pull ups would not really bother me.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
If you're benching, you're working the same muscles. Lots of exercises will make you ache if you don't do them for a while but that doesn't mean you need to do them to develop well rounded strength.

It's not a big deal if you want to add them in. Greasing the groove on pull ups is a good idea. Just keep the intensity low

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
If you're benching, you're working the same muscles. Lots of exercises will make you ache if you don't do them for a while but that doesn't mean you need to do them to develop well rounded strength.

It's not a big deal if you want to add them in. Greasing the groove on pull ups is a good idea. Just keep the intensity low

lol my pull up numbers are embarrassing low so I am not sure i can keep the intensity much lower than it is.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
How did you find the workout so far?

Not too bad! Fairly easy but since I had to give my self less rest between reps to get everything done in an hour it was a better workout than I thought I was going to get. Now I just need to make sure I am getting enough calories to ensure muscle growth without resorting to eating total junk to do so.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
holy shit, my ass hurts! Yesterday was squats day and even though I did less weight than I am used to it was the first time i did 5 sets instead of three, now my ass and to a lesser extent my thighs are sore. I guess that is a good sign.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Next question! I know its early to be asking this but when should I start thinking about adding weight to my lifts?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Next question! I know its early to be asking this but when should I start thinking about adding weight to my lifts?
When the weights feel easier, you can add a bit more until it feels about the same. Or re-test yourself if you want to be more accurate. When the weights are flying up with little resistance, its time to go heavier.

For example, let's say you are working out with 100lbs. If you used 80-90lbs, the weights would fly. So when 100lbs starts accelerating without resistance, go heavier

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
When the weights feel easier, you can add a bit more until it feels about the same. Or re-test yourself if you want to be more accurate. When the weights are flying up with little resistance, its time to go heavier.

For example, let's say you are working out with 100lbs. If you used 80-90lbs, the weights would fly. So when 100lbs starts accelerating without resistance, go heavier

shit, most of it feels too light now. I dont think i can trust my judgement on it to be honest, I have a feeling I would want to move up too soon. any guidelines on timeframes?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
shit, most of it feels too light now. I dont think i can trust my judgement on it to be honest, I have a feeling I would want to move up too soon. any guidelines on timeframes?
Initially, give it 4-6 weeks and then retest your 5rm (or maybe you'll get 6, 7 or 8 reps) and use that to extrapolate your 1rm and recalculate your percentages.

Is the bar accelerating continuously throughout your lifts without slowing down?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Initially, give it 4-6 weeks and then retest your 5rm (or maybe you'll get 6, 7 or 8 reps) and use that to extrapolate your 1rm and recalculate your percentages.

Is the bar accelerating continuously throughout your lifts without slowing down?
Yeah as far as I can tell it is.

Ok, will keep with what I have for a month or so and then calculate the numbers again.

Thanks again for all your help.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
If the bar is accelerating and you can literally get it to air, add a little weight.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
If the bar is accelerating and you can literally get it to air, add a little weight.
I will do a test lift or two when I get home. Bench press is the only one I think I might be too light on. OHP wasnt hard but I am pretty sure I cant get air with a lift, same with rows. Deadlift and squat are good as well i think.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I could not get it to "air" but my bench felt super light so I added 10lbs. I will try that for a month and the reassess.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
How are you finding it?
Hard to say. It is certainly easier than working out like a madman every day. I also changed up my diet some (which I know is a mistake when trying to gauge improvements from changing a workout routine) and am eating even more than I was. That part is good but I have let a little junk creep into my diet lately as well (tacobell a couple times in the last two weeks and pizza twice as well as some of the not so good for you food they serve at lunch for the employees here). So the good news is I am up 4 or 5 pounds in the last two weeks, the bad news is I am sure a lot of that is water weight from the added sodium in my diet lately.

But overall I think I think I am making improvements. I added a little to my overhead press yesterday and rows felt light enough that I am going to add a bit to them on my next session monday.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
How are you finding it?
week 3 done. I want to check my max lift and adjust for next week. My next lift day is monday. I figured I would do one set of most of the lifts tomorrow (sunday) to get the numbers for monday. Would that be the best way to do it or should i just do a test set on monday before I do my workout?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
week 3 done. I want to check my max lift and adjust for next week. My next lift day is monday. I figured I would do one set of most of the lifts tomorrow (sunday) to get the numbers for monday. Would that be the best way to do it or should i just do a test set on monday before I do my workout?
I would try to keep Sunday as a rest day if possible. You could the first set of each exercise to failure and calculate the weight for the rest of the set on the fly.

How are you finding it?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I would try to keep Sunday as a rest day if possible. You could the first set of each exercise to failure and calculate the weight for the rest of the set on the fly.

How are you finding it?

not too bad. i am gaining weight which is good. i will know more on if i have made any improvements in the strength department after I do the calculations for new max weight. I know I should not expect to much of a change after only 3 weeks but i have high hopes!

For the first sets I might have to add some weight. most of the max rep calculators i have found only go up to 12-14 reps and I think i could do more than that for some of the lifts with my current weights.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Can you arrange to have sent this post to me back in around 1988? You would have saved me 15 years of more or less pointless high volume mostly isolation exercise workouts that did wonders for my stocky lifting buddies, but essentially jack squat for me.
1988 wasn't 15 years ago bro.