General How much of a problem in society is conspiracy garbage? Huge, or not a big deal?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Nov 21, 2015
What do you think?

??
I think it becomes a considerable problem when it is actually acted upon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrAdayUh6-4

Mike Hughes, who wanted to prove the flat-Earth theory, dies in homemade-rocket disaster

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I think people have joyously rejected critical thinking and dispassionate reasoning skills, and exchanged them for immovable opinion and a preference for wildly speculative, poorly supported notions.

Thusly, belief in ridiculous conspiracy theories is at an all time high.
It's depressing. I have a much lower opinion of my fellow man's intelligence in the past decade or so.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/crampell/status/1416882483224846337

Say that this is massively overstated, and the true rate is half that - one in ten.

Ten percent of Americans thinking that the government is implanting tracking microchips in your blood stream via covid vaccines........ is that level of retardation in general society terrifying?

Or is it just a case of everyone believes what they believe, no harm no foul?

??

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
I think people have joyously rejected critical thinking and dispassionate reasoning skills, and exchanged them for immovable opinion and a preference for wildly speculative, poorly supported notions.

Thusly, belief in ridiculous conspiracy theories is at an all time high.
It's depressing. I have a much lower opinion of my fellow man's intelligence in the past decade or so.
I'm not sure people have ever been much better, it's just more disappointing now because sourcing and fact checking is so easy. I mean, this has never had any trouble finding an audience:

??

M

member 1013

I'm not sure people have ever been much better, it's just more disappointing now because sourcing and fact checking is so easy. I mean, this has never had any trouble finding an audience:

??
That’s @Cody ‘s favourite book

he quotes it a lot. Like A LOT a lot.

M

member 3289

Mike Hughes, who wanted to prove the flat-Earth theory, dies in homemade-rocket disaster
Prob some of my best work

View: https://streamable.com/j3kzf

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015

Why is this a problem for anyone on this site?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/crampell/status/1416882483224846337

Say that this is massively overstated, and the true rate is half that - one in ten.

Ten percent of Americans thinking that the government is implanting tracking microchips in your blood stream via covid vaccines........ is that level of retardation in general society terrifying?

Or is it just a case of everyone believes what they believe, no harm no foul?

??
I'm not sure that I believe those figures. I certainly don't think the vaccine is a secret micro chip, but I can understand people don't trust the government. Maybe they should stop lying about everything and giving the whack jobs a reason to distrust them? Isn't a majority of the lefties on this site of the opinion that America is evil? But now your guy is in office and everything is totes cool. What about Harris saying she would refuse the vaccine if trump was in office? Nothing to say about that lunatic flat earther?

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Massive.
Every msm media outlet is pushing conspiracies.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

Darwin Award Winner

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Not being able to trust the government fosters these conspiracies.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I think this paired with the failure to know and understand history can be extremely dangerous.

You can make many people believe all kind of shit easily by using primitive instincts like fear. And if this turns into hate for other humans, obviously it is very dangerous.
Even more so it gets my attention if they pair their stuff with the Bible and mark their "enemies" as being in cahoots with the devil, which is happening in this forum even.
Many peepz are still very religious and thus easily fetched for all kinds of purposes.

We have seen this all before.

Take the witch-trials for example, about 400 years ago, you think people were that much dumber back then? We evolved a lot since then?
Nah.
It was a time of turmoil and people felt powerless, this can very well happen again, regardless whether a government is involved or not.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
Take the witch-trials for example, about 400 years ago, you think people were that much dumber back then? We evolved a lot since then?
Nah.
Agreed. Witches, whether real or fake, are making a big comeback. I personally know several people who’s wives/girlfriends are into witchcraft. My significant other says it’s because the show outlander got popular. I’ve never seen it so I wouldn’t know.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The voices of outright misinformation are few and far between, but they have megaphones they didn't have 20 years ago. They are echoed on social media until you have the same message coming at you from dozens of different directions. It's only one source and normally we would have a good meter to be suspicious that only one unbacked source was feeding an unexpected story. But repetition and multiple sources is a common way to determine likeliness of validity. This echoing and hiding original source on social media gives the illusion of the historical multiple sources coming to the same conclusion.

It is a major problem and one we don't have a great solution for just yet. Free speech maximalism has been the one defining rule set of the internet. The assumption was that in the long run with no gatekeepers to information and low barriers to entry, truth, reality, and efficiency would rise to the top. That has not happened and simply gatekeepers have been replaced with influencers that ostensibly work the same way to shape the narrative. True statements and data I have no more priority and information movement with the real priority and being given to whoever has the most active followers.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Marjorie Taylor Greene, LOL

Fucking crazy liars shouldn't be in office. Now there's one less place for her to lie and spin crazy lunacy.