How Nicolas Cage Wildly Spent a $150 Million Fortune

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
You won't believe the things he bought.

Think your money troubles are bad? Trying blowing through $150 million, going broke, then owing the IRS $13 million. Yes, we're talking about Oscar-winning actorNicolas Cage.

How did Nicolas Cage go broke? Let's find out.

Nicolas Cage made over $150 million acting between 1996 and 2011, including movies like Gone in Sixty Seconds ($20 million), National Treasure ($20 million),Snake Eyes ($16 million) and Windtalkers ($20 million).

FeelGrafix

Forbes listed him as one of the highest-paid actors of all time. It's said he made $40 million in 2009 alone. That's a lot of money!

Unfortunately, the fun was short-lived. As his income increased, so did his insane buying habits.

By the time he reached his mid-forties (he's now 53), Nicolas Cage spent so much cash that he put the King of Arabia to shame. While he blamed his money manager for sending him "down a path toward financial ruin," others say it was his crazy personal spending.

In 2009, the IRS slapped the actor with a $6.2 million tax lien and Nicolas Cage ended up suing his money manager for fraud and negligence.

Where did all the money go?

1. Dinosaur skulls

A self-proclaimed history buff, Cage allegedly outbid Leonardo DiCaprio for a 67-million-year-old Tarbosaurus skull valued at over $300,000. He also apparently had other dinosaur skulls.

Slate

2. Two albino king cobras

Allegedly Cage used the cobras for protection. Some others say he used it for sexual activities.

Flickr

3. Two Bahamian Islands

Cage bought a 40-acre, $7 million island south of Nassau for his private use.

NicolasCage.org

4. The Shah of Iran's Lamborghini

Cage purchased a rare $450,000 Lamborghini Miura SVJ from the late Shah of Iran in 1997.

Born Rich

5. Exotic cars and motorcycles

He also spent millions on other dozens of specialty and vintage vehicles. In June 2004, he supposedly owned up to 30 motorcycles and 50 cars.

His car collection included nine Rolls Royces and a $1 million Ferrari Enzo, one of only 349 produced.

Balumba

6. Luxury yachts

He bought four yachts, one of which he named Sarita. It cost $20 million and had 12 master bedrooms.

Charter World

7. A famous haunted house

Cage bought this famed New Orleans house in 2006 for $3.45 million. Supposedly the house belonged to a socialite serial killer named Madame LaLaurie, who was the inspiration for the character of Kathy Bates inAmerican Horror Story: Coven.

In the house that Madame LaLaurie would kill and torture slaves in the 1800s. Legend says it's haunted.

CrashMacDuff

8. Shrunken Pymgy heads

According to visitors, Cage had a collection of heads in his house for unknown reasons.

Pinterest

9. A pyramid tombstone

Located in New Orleans, this 9 foot tall pyramid tombstone is engraved with "Omni Ab Uno", Latin for "Everything From One." Cage bought it.

Examiner

10. The first Superman comic

Cage had a collection of comic books that includedAction Comics #1 (the first appearance of Superman) and Detective Comics 38 (the first appearance of Robin, Batman's sidekick).

Geek Mom

11. A crocodile

Cage had one. Because every American family should.

Wikipedia

12. A shark

Again, standard pets for Cage.

"I shall name you Smiley Comicvine

13. An octopus

Supposedly Cage's house was like a zoo.

Cerebrovortex

14. A private Gulfstream jet

Journal

15. Fifteen Estate homes around the world

He bought another multi-million dollar mansion in New Orleans, a $10 million Malibu beach home, a private getaway home on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, a $17.5 million palace in Bel Air, a mansion in Las Vegas, and a 24,000 square foot home in Rhode Island.

Other properties includied a chalet in Aspen, Colorado and homes in San Francisco, New York, Newport Beach, and Venice Beach.

His Bel Air mansion. Celebrity Net Worth

16. Two European castles

He bought a $8 million castle in Bath, England and spent millions on remodeling it.

Then he bought an 11th-century Bavarian castle in Etzelwang, Germany.

E Online

17. Rare art

Cage had almost 50 extremely expensive works of art.

This isn't from his collection but it should be.E Online

18. High end jewelry

In addition to taking the women in his life on lavish vacations, he also bought them massive amounts of jewelry including diamonds and gems.

Also not from his collection but it should be. Where to Get it

So where is Nicolas Cage now? He was forced to foreclose on several properties. His money manager countersued him and though the lawsuits have been settled, Cage is still struggling to fix his finances and unload assets.

Fortunately in the past several years he's starred in big budget films.

He also sold his prized Action Comics #1 for $2.16 million, a record setting amount.

Lessons Learned:

• Don't be materialistic: It's tempting to "keep up with the Joneses" with expensive cars, fancy fashion and larger homes. But getting caught up with the finer things in life can be devastating if your bank account can't support it. Compulsive buying is an addiction.
  • Learn about money: Financial literacy is understanding how to make money, invest money, and preserve money. When you find success, you must educate yourself to make the right decisions. Be organized. Never rely solely on accountants, financial advisors, attorneys or insurance agents.
  • Don't assume success lasts forever: Every day is a hustle. Many people - from celebrities to Wall Street traders - fall victim to thinking their success will be long and everlasting. Always plan with emergency funds and saving at least 15% of your income.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
These are all assets, right? I assume he owns them, if he spent all of his money to purchase them. So liquidate that shit and get your shit together Nick!

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Seems like all of that would well exceed $150 million. He could sell 2 or 3 of his houses to take care of the tax lien.

Feb 28, 2015
I think he's mostly in Vegas now, my roommate in Vegas used to text me when he was on the stationary bikes at the gym haha

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well i think he mad a bit of cash these last years after his money trouble, because he is in a movie every other week.

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
Why are alot of these celebrities so careless with their cash? Most weren't born into wealth i assume. No idea how you could ever forget when you were struggling to make ends meet . I guess if you had that much cash why not spend it on cool / stupid shit. Who cares about helping future generations of your family or a charity.

Sure he will make a lot cash he lost back. A lot of people like him as an actor or did.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
And people will argue 'he made that cash on his own'. Who deserves to make that much money while everybody else has to barter for a proper transportation system?

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Why are alot of these celebrities so careless with their cash? Most weren't born into wealth i assume. No idea how you could ever forget when you were struggling to make ends meet . I guess if you had that much cash why not spend it on cool / stupid shit. Who cares about helping future generations of your family or a charity.

Sure he will make a lot cash he lost back. A lot of people like him as an actor or did.
Yeah! Isn't he a Coppola, too? Francis has vineyards, restaurants, a literary magazine, I think a couple scholarships. Money shouldn't be so much of a novelty to Nic that he puts it into haunted pyramid tombstones and sex defense cobras.