How often should you workout each muscle group?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I know that the majority of bodybuilders usually work out each muscle group once a week not including abs.

For many years I would go 3 days between workouts of each muscle group.

Recently switched to a 4 day rest period and have noticed a strength increase.

A few times Ive tried going 7 days but it seems as if Im getting atrophy sometime in between that 4 and 7 day period.

Just curious to see what you guys think is the proper amount of rest days

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
- Recovery dictates frequency, your increased strength now that youre taking more rest is due to recovery imo, if you continued to take 3 day breaks and lift in a fatigued state then programmed to lift in a comp/test your 1rm you might very well end up getting stronger that way.

- A "week" is an artificial construct so while it may be easier to get your head around weekly sessions your body doesnt operate on a 7 day rotation. Some of the best PLers I know work on a 10 day rotation and cycle an extra day in or out.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I know that the majority of bodybuilders usually work out each muscle group once a week not including abs.

For many years I would go 3 days between workouts of each muscle group.

Recently switched to a 4 day rest period and have noticed a strength increase.

A few times Ive tried going 7 days but it seems as if Im getting atrophy sometime in between that 4 and 7 day period.

Just curious to see what you guys think is the proper amount of rest days
You must be getting older......
Crazy thing is your rest need increases with age. I discovered that for myself. No more gruelling workouts. Rest as many days as you need.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I have 3 workouts, with different muscle groups, a "rest" day (running) in between. 1 full rest day. So basically I focus on one type of muscle group once week.

I would consider 48 hours a good rest, but for me heavily depends on sleep and diet in between. If there's beer involved or junkfood, I may consider a longer period of rest time.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Good question teamquestnorth @teamquestnorth. There are a lot of variables to that. First is someone natural? What fitness level is the person at? How many years have they been working out? What do they look like? Without all that there is no real answer to give unless you want to give a cookie cutter answer.