How the fuck did Jones outwrestle Cormier?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
It was pretty surprising during the fight, but even more impressive in retrospect. Cormier is a beast.

Jones might be the most talented fighter ever.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Let's see how Jones does when he comes back under the NSAC's new PED penalties. I'm not accusing him of anything, but I don't put anything past him either, considering he didn't seem to care what he put in his body prior to this latest incident.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I honestly think DC let it all get to him before the fight, if he can go in there with a clear head he will beat Jones every time. I screwed up head will ruin your day every time.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Let's see how Jones does when he comes back under the NSAC's new PED penalties. I'm not accusing him of anything, but I don't put anything past him either, considering he didn't seem to care what he put in his body prior to this latest incident.
A fair point. From a broader sense, doing prison time in his prime won't be helping him much. Historically, not many fighters look as good coming back.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
he knows how to use his leverage
You can say that again. What's amazing is his ability to do that. Seems to be innate. Plus being superhero strong helps too.

I was awestruck at his ability to twist out the few times DC started to get him down. And when DC got the slam near the end, Jones effortlessly got up. Could not believe that.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
A fair point. From a broader sense, doing prison time in his prime won't be helping him much. Historically, not many fighters look as good coming back.
I doubt he gets prison time. Probably 1-2 years probation and some heavy fines. More than likely, he's training in some capacity as we speak and likely won't miss much in that sense. The question is, how long does it take for him to get his legal issues sorted out and when does the UFC feel like they can bring him back w/out public backlash? If they get approved in NY, you know they will be salivating for DC/Jones II in December in MSG.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I honestly think DC let it all get to him before the fight, if he can go in there with a clear head he will beat Jones every time. I screwed up head will ruin your day every time.
I guess we'll find out if they do rematch. But I'm not sure what else DC was supposed to try. His game looked fine to me during the Jones fight---Jones just had an effective answer for most of it.

The psych game is always hard to judge though. Prison stint/time out aside, Jones is allowed to improve, too. DC improves his mental game, Jones improves his.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I doubt he gets prison time. Probably 1-2 years probation and some heavy fines. More than likely, he's training in some capacity as we speak and likely won't miss much in that sense. The question is, how long does it take for him to get his legal issues sorted out and when does the UFC feel like they can bring him back w/out public backlash? If they get approved in NY, you know they will be salivating for DC/Jones II in December in MSG.
True, he probably won't do any time. All the same, everything changes for him. His whole life is going to shift tracks now, and who knows how that will play out. He just might come back stronger than ever. But he could also wilt like a flower after giving up the coke and bullshit. He might be a better man, but a weaker fighter. If I had to bet, I'd say he'll adjust to clean living and come back even stronger as a fighter.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Yes i think Jones will have to do some time whether it be house arrest or probation, i wonder how the UFC will handle it if its probation. Because its still a conviction with a sentence of probation. Im pretty sure he won't be found innocent so its gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I guess Cormier can wait it out, but we're talking at least 6 months here. Any longer than that and he'll have to fight somebody else I would think.

Between now and then we have Conor, Luke, Honda, Cowbody and the usual suspects.

How long do you guys think Dana will put 205 on hold for Jones?

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Anyway, I have to watch Jones-Cormier again. What sort of blows my mind is that Jones was able to stop the TD for just about the entire fight. It's one thing to fight off a wrestler like Cormier for a few minutes or even a round. But for 5? Your wrestling has to be absolutely dialed to manage that.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
And so will elbows and getting man handled..His head had nothing to do with not getting a TD when he had many chances..On his best day he isn't winning...JBJ is too big and skilled for the smaller DC...jbj dont give up his reach..and when he's on the inside he is DANGEROUS in every aspect..i like DC but jbj is his cryptonite..abd and quite frankly he is everybody's...jbj is the best at his worst moral moments..And that's when most fighters skills diminish..IF he gets his head out of his ass he won't ever lose at LHW..

Last edited:

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
Jones has a bigger frame and as someone mentioned earlier, he leverages that size to his advantage. Jones' size and strength are a major factor in why he's successful.

The other thing to consider is that pure wrestling in and of itself doesn't translate 100% to wrestling against an opponent throwing kicks and punches at you. "MMA wrestling" as we call it is more valuable than what you did exclusively in the sport of wrestling. I have no doubt if this was a real wrestling match, Cormier would win that. But in the context of a real fight, they're closer to even.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Jones easily does 5 years in jail

Last edited:

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Whoa, I hope not! I don't think he will spend much, if any, time in jail. If he gets focused on fighting and not partying he will get his belt back in 2016. America loves to give athletes 2nd chances. Or even 4-5 chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Oops, didn't answer original question. He out wrestled him because he is the mother fucker of all mother fuckers. He does what he wants, how he wants, to whomever he wants in the cage. If they fight again it will look exactly the same.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I think Anthony would have faired much better if he had better cardio. The minute he started huffing and puffing I knew it was over like his WW days. He gave up his neck on purpose hoping DC would take it as an out. He was out of gas.

Jones uses his widthspan leverage really well.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Jones used Art of War tactics to get DC off his game. Cormier wasn't trying to win he was trying to beat up Jones. Last night he went in with a plan & stuck to it.