How Would The UFC Handle A Muslim Champion?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Khabib Nurmagomedov is one hell of a fighter and a devout Muslim. Here's the question, with today's state of affairs of the Muslim Religion which is painted in a horrible light due to all the turmoil in the Middle East and elsewhere (ISIS, Boca Hara, Al-Qaeda ect) would he becoming champion bring a situation, that media wise, Zuffa can't handle properly?

Let's face it, they have handle countless situations about as piss poor as you possibly can and when you give them a situation that can be on a world wide scale, and as hot a topic as there is, are they even capable of dealing with the media bringing this to the forfront? If you think Khabib won't be a poster boy for these groups who target young people to join them then you are sadly mistaken. They will make this a huge issue.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
As a muslim my self i don't really think this would be a huge issue.
If those crazy factions you spoke about earlier wanted to make him a posterboy for there idealogy, it would contradict there own way of life.
He's living the "american dream" he was piss poor and by way of MMA and the USA/fans he is able to support himself and his family.

For me it's about the fighter, skillset, and sometimes personality, i don't really care if they pray to jesus, budha, allah or adonai.
I hope religion will never be an issue in MMA, like it is in the world at the moment, things are turning in to shit because of some people (if you can call them that) think they are more or better than other human beings.

Live and let live.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
As a muslim my self i don't really think this would be a huge issue.
If those crazy factions you spoke about earlier wanted to make him a posterboy for there idealogy, it would contradict there own way of life.
He's living the "american dream" he was piss poor and by way of MMA and the USA/fans he is able to support himself and his family.

For me it's about the fighter, skillset, and sometimes personality, i don't really care if they pray to jesus, budha, allah or adonai.
I hope religion will never be an issue in MMA, like it is in the world at the moment, things are turning in to shit because of some people (if you can call them that) think they are more or better than other human beings.

Live and let live.
I am Jewish and i fully agree with this post. I hate what the world is becoming and i hope it stays the fuck away from MMA. As for Khabib i agree its a non issue if the man wins the title AWESOME! i hope the his religious beliefs dont become a problem for anyone.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
We've already had champs as religious as Khabib (Ben Henderson).

Unless the UFC plans on featuring Khabib at a mosque I really doubt it's going to come up much unless the MMA fanbase keeps bringing it up (not far from a possibility).

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Its gonna happen.
For whatever reason a shitload of Dagestani fighters just appeared and seem to be doing okay. Makes sense to me given the regions history.

wiggum

Feb 22, 2015
UFC will handle it the same way they handle an Irish contender: a marketing opportunity.

Hell, the Greatest was Muslim. At least Khabib won't have convince people to say his religiously changed name.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Im thinking it will be a non issue. Plus Khabib could easily use the platform to denounce the other groups as terrorists and not real muslims. It might actually backfire him being champion for those groups.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
non issue but im sure the ufc idiots are cooking up a promo

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Non issue. It's unfortunate how misunderstood Muslims are due to fanatical groups.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The only point I raised about this, is handcuffing the UFC's love of Twitter wars. The more Khabib involves morality and a potentially religious driven brand of shit talk, the more it becomes like Ronda and the fighting men issue. When Ian responded, the issue turned to labelling him a woman hitting pariah. I don't think the UFC wants or will be able to have any religious based shit talk. I don't think the UFC would approve of an Atheist fighter going after a Christian fighter either. There have been jabs about thanking god, but from mostly other less devout Christians. I don't think if Cowboy suddenly responded with something about Sharia Law to counter this "Party Drunk loser" thing it would leave the shit talk in a casual position, I think it brews a shit storm the same way if a fighter shit talked about some part of Black Culture.

There are bigots that obviously don't care ranting about these things but they *MOSTLY* aren't public figures or workers for a company trying to walk a fine line. Dana already had to apologize for the homophobic stuff... I personally don't like the direction Khabib is taking this, because if he manages to push the wrong button this can go very badly very fast and being abused from certain sides that have watchdog types scanning for any slight reference to a negative aspect of their culture. Heels and hate hype is a "Law of diminishing returns" game when social groups can mess with your ability to put on fights, which was the whole reason Dana even cared to apologize in the first place about his slurs.

The Beneil Darius Vs Ramsey Nijem shit talk about Palestine was very awkward and uncomfortable.

Last edited:

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It's like you can't say something hypothetical (which I have witnesses physically happen sadly to a friend and ex) like: "Well she was swinging at him with a bat, so he was justified in pushing her to the ground to stop it now" it gets immediately twisted into "HE BEAT HER, HE ASSAULTED HER! HE'S A WOMAN BEATER LOCK HIM UP!" the line of reasonable give and take in a situation or hot button issue has moved in social media to a point where shaming over inference is now commonplace and hijacks what is completely supposed to be just an academic discussion.

Someone inevitably bulldozes their way in with an agenda, but I don't think just being a Muslim has causes any issue.

Hasn't Bellator had a Muslim champ already, I may be missing or thinking of someone who isn't? Lawal is technically Muslim I think, so Strikeforce had one I guess you could say briefly.

Khasbulaev was denied a VISA and the ability to get his title shot... Ali Bagautinov is too correct? He (had he fought someone other than MM) may have been a Muslim champ.

Last edited:

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
Well i hope everyone is past thinking every Muslim is a terrorist or directly connected to them. Now if this was right after 9 / 11 i doubt the Ufc would even sign or promote a known Muslim fighter because of this potential situation. I will be curious to see how this plays out though. This would have never crossed my mind to be honest. Good thinking outside the box Hired Gun!

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
We're giving people too much credit here.....I bet 75% of MMA fans wouldn't realise Khabib is Muslim even if he slapped Potato head Dana round the head with the Quran......I'm in agreement with Shy Guy...it's a non-issue.