General I’m an epidemiologist. AMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
My clinic isn't testing either because if you show up in the clinic I can't treat you. There is no treatment. Only send you home to self quarantine. If you demonstrate negative test for common things like flu but you still have a clinical presentation consistent with covid you are to go home and isolate because that's the treatment for covid. If you go home and get worse you then go to the emergency department for further work up which would include a covid test at that time.
I agree that this is really poor process for plateauing numbers in a public health sense. I can't see how it works because lots of spread is still going on. But in a clinical sense of treating the symptomatic patient in front of you, this makes sense. Isolating is empiric treatment. Going to the ER for escalating care if you develop respiratory symptoms is the right answer after that.
I bought a oxygen concentrator 3 weeks ago, fuck going to the emergency room.

M

member 3289

My clinic isn't testing either because if you show up in the clinic I can't treat you. There is no treatment. Only send you home to self quarantine. If you demonstrate negative test for common things like flu but you still have a clinical presentation consistent with covid you are to go home and isolate because that's the treatment for covid. If you go home and get worse you then go to the emergency department for further work up which would include a covid test at that time.
I agree that this is really poor process for plateauing numbers in a public health sense. I can't see how it works because lots of spread is still going on. But in a clinical sense of treating the symptomatic patient in front of you, this makes sense. Isolating is empiric treatment. Going to the ER for escalating care if you develop respiratory symptoms is the right answer after that.
So are you working every day in a hazmat suit now?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I bought a oxygen concentrator 3 weeks ago, fuck going to the emergency room.
Do you have a pulse ox?
It sounds like you do.
I guess having extra stuff can't hurt but I would say that somebody who needs an oxygen concentrator acutely probably needs to be further evaluated before waiting for that to transiently work and then being even worse condition.
I feel like it'd be pretty dangerous to be oxygen dependent at home with no significant workup At the hospital. You might decompensate quicker than you realize.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Considering how many nurses have young children who are preschool or elementary school age, isn't closing the school kind of fucking retarded?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So are you working every day in a hazmat suit now?
I am not. Fevers and respiratory symptoms are kept out of our clinic right now and for as long as we can manage that to keep exposures to zero.
A combination of telemedicine and in car eval with PPE is used for questionable cases.
My old people stay home and non respiratory cases come inside.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Do you have a pulse ox?
It sounds like you do.
I guess having extra stuff can't hurt but I would say that somebody who needs an oxygen concentrator acutely probably needs to be further evaluated before waiting for that to transiently work and then being even worse condition.
I feel like it'd be pretty dangerous to be oxygen dependent at home with no significant workup At the hospital. You might decompensate quicker than you realize.
Interesting. I will bring this up. Its not as if I am self diagnosing at home. I had no clue what a oxygen concentrator was a month ago.

I feel like if this shit hits like China you will have to be almost dead to get treatment.

Also I have a headache and body aches, no fever or cough. Do I have the Chinese Flu or aids?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Interesting. I will bring this up. Its not as if I am self diagnosing at home. I had no clue what a oxygen concentrator was a month ago.

I feel like if this shit hits like China you will have to be almost dead to get treatment.

Also I have a headache and body aches, no fever or cough. Do I have the Chinese Flu or aids?
Be safe man. This stuff seems to have a pretty wild course. Young people MOSTLY do okay, but the ones that end up sick have a surprisingly high rate of need for ventilators. Seattle and Italy intensivists recommending early intubation to the rest of us normie docs. Suggests if you start to decline the bottom is unknown and could happen quickly.

For what its worth, I have no health problems and am in above average shape for my age. I'm in a low risk group. I would go home with fever and cough and assume I'm positive. If I got short of breath by self evaluation or a pulse oximeter, I would go to the ED in hopes of being admitted so I've got help if I decline. Those are the same public guidance being put out and that's how I'd treat myself or my loved ones.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Be safe man. This stuff seems to have a pretty wild course. Young people MOSTLY do okay, but the ones that end up sick have a surprisingly high rate of need for ventilators. Seattle and Italy intensivists recommending early intubation to the rest of us normie docs. Suggests if you start to decline the bottom is unknown and could happen quickly.

For what its worth, I have no health problems and am in above average shape for my age. I'm in a low risk group. I would go home with fever and cough and assume I'm positive. If I got short of breath by self evaluation or a pulse oximeter, I would go to the ED in hopes of being admitted so I've got help if I decline. Those are the same public guidance being put out and that's how I'd treat myself or my loved ones.
I just stocked up on Jim Beam and Busch light.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time and giving us the info. I am lucky, while my wife isnt a doctor she has a advanced nursing degree. I let her worry and when she says its go time then I listen. She was never impressed with the cold med cocktail I used to treat everything when we first met

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I am lucky, while my wife isnt a doctor she has a advanced nursing degree.
This is all new. ED nurses will get a 6th sense for this disease as fast or faster than anyone. I'll only see them in the hospitalized setting for a while. That gradient where you learn to sniff out the maybes? nurses are tuning their radar for that right now and will be better than almost anyone else for a while.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is all new. ED nurses will get a 6th sense for this disease as fast or faster than anyone. I'll only see them in the hospitalized setting for a while. That gradient where you learn to sniff out the maybes? nurses are tuning their radar for that right now and will be better than almost anyone else for a while.
Where's your mask?

M

member 3289

I am not. Fevers and respiratory symptoms are kept out of our clinic right now and for as long as we can manage that to keep exposures to zero.
A combination of telemedicine and in car eval with PPE is used for questionable cases.
My old people stay home and non respiratory cases come inside.
I really think a hazmat suit would add one more level of reassurance for your patients

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
I just stocked up on Jim Beam and Busch light.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time and giving us the info. I am lucky, while my wife isnt a doctor she has a advanced nursing degree. I let her worry and when she says its go time then I listen. She was never impressed with the cold med cocktail I used to treat everything when we first met
Hope all is well with you HEATH VON DOOM and you stay healthy - that goes for all the members here at TMMAC. Also thanks to MMAPlaywright @MMAPlaywright and Splinty @Splinty sharing their expertise here ..greatly appreciated.

Quick Question:

Lot of my buddies stocked up on booze, im talking about bottles of whiskey,vodka, and cases of White Claw Busch Light ...one guy seriously picked up 15 cases....

My question is, wouldnt a guy want to avoid booze at this time because it may lower their immunity and make one more susceptible to catching the virus?

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Hope all is well with you HEATH VON DOOM and you stay healthy - that goes for all the members here at TMMAC. Also thanks to MMAPlaywright @MMAPlaywright and Splinty @Splinty sharing their expertise here ..greatly appreciated.

Quick Question:

Lot of my buddies stocked up on booze, im talking about bottles of whiskey,vodka, and cases of White Claw Busch Light ...one guy seriously picked up 15 cases....

My question is, wouldnt a guy want to avoid booze at this time because it may lower their immunity and make one more susceptible to catching the virus?
Vodka can be used as a antiseptic and a pain reliever. Definitely a medical necessity.

Real world, booze will be a valuable commodity to trade in a shtf situation. Plus if I have to spend 2 weeks in the house with my wife I am going to need to stay drunk so I dont go crazy.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
There is seldom an infection that is better to get while you've been drinking to excess.