I got SlingTV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
https://www.sling.com/

Streaming TV. Fairly a la carte. 20 bucks a month and afree trial.

Good? I'm watching Gladiator and the next two hours I had planned are already gone. Seems like good potential! AMC is the big ticket channel for shows, but also get ESPN.

Bad? Xbox one controls are flakey and confusing. They don't follow the same standard as every other xbox one program. So its gonna take a bit to get used to not accidentally leaving my program because the shits all wrong.

There's some amount of previous episodes you can watch like TiVo, but its not clear how far back you can go and it seems different on each channel.

Overall, this is the first thing that will get me to buy television since I don't have cable or satellite. A good start, maybe worth it if you like AMC shows (lots of great ones!) and ESPN. The rest of the content is so-so. Hopefully more a la carte options to come.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Bought into this the day it released. I've been looking for a live TV alternative since I cut the cord a couple years ago. My only gripe is that DVR function isn't available on all channels. But for the channels that do have it, you can search back about four days and replay anything that was aired. Pretty nifty. As long as they continue to evolve and add more channels, I'll be a customer into the foreseeable future.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
No offense but seems like a waste with options like Kodi and USTV VOD. I built a NUC that plays anything you can think of.....for free.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Funnily enough, there was a promotion to get an Amazon Fire TV for $50 when you pay for three months of service up front. I installed Kodi on it and stream all of my downloaded media to it. Need to look into some of the plug-ins for free content. Have any other suggestions besides USTV?

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
Funnily enough, there was a promotion to get an Amazon Fire TV for $50 when you pay for three months of service up front. I installed Kodi on it and stream all of my downloaded media to it. Need to look into some of the plug-ins for free content. Have any other suggestions besides USTV?
There are only 4 necessary addons nowadays. Phoenix, Genesis, Sportsdevil and USTVNOW. USTVNOW has a streaming service for live TV that you can purchase as an option. It gives you 8 standard channels for free.

I don't like to give people too much info about this which is why I stopped feeding info on the OG. But I like the people here so......

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
No offense but seems like a waste with options like Kodi and USTV VOD. I built a NUC that plays anything you can think of.....for free.
I get ya. I have and have had a HTPC for 15+ years.
I run plex, I've got a million plugin channels, etc. I get all that shit for free.

None of it shows me Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, certain sports, etc. in real time legally.
That's the thing here. I can get any of this pirated or delayed.

This is the first time I've found something for xbox, PC, phone, etc. that is close to a la carte and works well enough for those that want cables benefits without buying a big package. Very different criteria :)

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Also, when you say "anything you can think of," I bet I can think of a thing or two that you can't find. :)

I've been looking for episodes of Emeril Live and Great Hotels. They are nowhere to be found. If you find a source on those two shows, I'll have your babies.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
If they add the USA network, I'll buy it.. I want to pay for it and not use USTVNOW.
It would be nice, but don't hold your breath. USA network is owned by Comcast and they have high incentive to keep their channel off Sling.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It would be nice, but don't hold your breath. USA network is owned by Comcast and they have high incentive to keep their channel off Sling.
Comcast is fucking evil. I can tell you all the ways they are shitty but it would take a good hour or so.