I have been doing DDPyoga for almost 2 years

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Leigh when you say flexibility is neurological are you saying anyone can do the splits if their brain works the right way and some can't ever? Or did I get that totally off base?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Good thread Passive Jay @Passive Jay

Do you find the more flexible you get the less strength you have?

Leigh @Leigh does lengthening muscle fiber decrease its cross sectional size?

I could not say, I have been getting stronger and more flexible. Once I added lifting weights I did notice being more stiff before a DDP yoga session but I have still been making gains in both departments.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh when you say flexibility is neurological are you saying anyone can do the splits if their brain works the right way and some can't ever? Or did I get that totally off base?
Your muscles are controlled by your CNS. Having the right neural set up is why some guys are stronger p4p than others. The CNS controls the contraction of the muscles and if you can coordinate them with more efficiency, you move more weight. Your strength will still be limited ultimately by the size of your muscles. Your genetics will limit you but you can make the most of your genetics through training, diet etc.

Flexibility is very similar. A coordination of muscle tension (or lack thereof). You are still limited by your genetics but practising your flexibility will make a big difference. Static stretching does not help much beyond beginner gains though. You need to practise the movements you wish to be flexible at, eg if you want flexibility for high kicks, you need practise high kicks. If you want a good rubber guard, practise rubber guard.

Neurological adaptions are pretty specific, which is why wrestlers can be so much stronger on the mat than in the weight room and why some guys can head kick without being able to do the splits.