General "I have something to say, but it doesn't warrant its own thread."

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Pretty self explanatory.

Let's start with a depressing one.

10-15 years from now, just about all of the truly A-list rock legends will be dead.

80 years old:
Bob Dylan.

79 years old:
Paul McCartney
Paul Simon
Art Garfunkel
Brian Wilson

78 years old:
Mick Jagger

77 years old:
Keith Richards
Jimmy Page
Roger Daltrey
Roger Waters

76 years old:
Pete Townshend
Rod Stewart
Eric Clapton
Debbie Harry

75 years old:
David Gilmour
Neil Young

74 years old:
Elton John

72 years old:
Bruce Springsteen
Billy Joel

So get ready for that.

That's a pretty downbeat start, admittedly. But any comment or idea or thought that comes to mind that doesn't warrant its own thread, or probably doesn't have the legs for one - have at it.

??
Paul McCartney died in 1966
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I'm listening.
There's this thing called a globular star cluster. Huge globes of gravitationally associated suns, millions of them.
In the North here, the best is rated second in all the sky: M 13, the Hercules cluster.
640px-Messier_13.jpg

No photo can do it justice. I recall the first time I saw it: I was using an old scope without setting circles, and had to look around for it.

I was slowly panning east- west when it drifted into view. It was breathtaking. After all the anticipation, the payoff was beyond value.

If you want to see the real glory of the night sky, get a telescope.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
There's this thing called a globular star cluster. Huge globes of gravitationally associated suns, millions of them.
In the North here, the best is rated second in all the sky: M 13, the Hercules cluster.
View attachment 68085

No photo can do it justice. I recall the first time I saw it: I was using an old scope without setting circles, and had to look around for it.

I was slowly panning east- west when it drifted into view. It was breathtaking. After all the anticipation, the payoff was beyond value.

If you want to see the real glory of the night sky, get a telescope.
I will.

Mostly to aid in my search for Hera's nipple, but if I happen to stumble upon something like you described that would be pretty cool too.

Name a decent brand.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I will.

Mostly to aid in my search for Hera's nipple, but if I happen to stumble upon something like you described that would be pretty cool too.

Name a decent brand.
Meade makes good stuff with pro grade optics. Same with Celestron. You'll pay for mirror size, and you'll want it. 10 inch mirror minimum.

They'll have solid mounts, which are vitally important.

Seeing cool double stars like Albireo, or just looking at planets, there's lots to see.
There'll be a motor to keep the object dead center in the field of view, and uses coordinates so you don't have to search.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Meade makes good stuff with pro grade optics. Same with Celestron. You'll pay for mirror size, and you'll want it. 10 inch mirror minimum.

Seeing cool double stars like Albireo, or just looking at planets, there's lots to see.
There'll be a motor to keep the object dead center in the field of view, and uses coordinates so you don't have to search.
Are they bluetooth compatible where you can snap pictures of what you are seeing?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Are they bluetooth compatible where you can snap pictures of what you are seeing?
Bluetooth Shutter Release Remote. This smartphone adapter kit from Celestron enables the camera on your smartphone to take photographs or video through the eyepieces of telescopes, spotting scopes, and binoculars. Attach your phone to any eyepieces between 29 mm and 45 mm (including 1.25").

The future is here

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
A fucken tramp just called me a liar.

I rejected his offer for a cigarette as I don't have many, and he called me fucken liar.

To be fair tho I was lying. I just didn't want to give the dirty cunt one.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
A fucken tramp just called me a liar.

I rejected his offer for a cigarette as I don't have many, and he called me fucken liar.

To be fair tho I was lying. I just didn't want to give the dirty cunt one.
You should have said you didn't have any more, and then offer him the one you were half done with. He would be happy and think you were a saint.

Then take out a freshy and spark up right in front of him.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You should have said you didn't have any more, and then offer him the one you were half done with. He would be happy and think you were a saint.

Then take out a freshy and spark up right in front of him.
It actually quite amused / stunned me so I didn't even get the red mist and have to kill him.

Fucker came back and asked me for change as well. Again I lied and said I had none.

There is actually one tramp I give money to, she sells the big issue (a magazine where the sales go to homeless people) she stands outside shouting trying to sell it. But she can't speak very good English and it's hilarious. And she seems so happy doing it. I've never actually taken a magazine from her I just give her some money for her efforts.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

This one any good?

Sewnly got a 5 incer though.

What I 'd give for a 5 incher. Sigh

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
This one any good?

Sewnly got a 5 incer though.

What I 'd give for a 5 incher. Sigh
It'll give you a good, sharp image. For local (solar system) objects, it's an excellent instrument. Further away, deep sky objects, will be different.
M 31 will give you chills with the resolving power.
The Great Nebula in Orion reveals itself as maybe the most amazing nebula available to amateur scopes.

For me, having a big image in the eyepiece is less important than knowing what you're looking at.
3C 273 looks like a tiny star in the telescope, but it's so much more.

With pictures, the light collects and you can see things the eye can't. Long exposures open a whole new door

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It'll give you a good, sharp image. For local (solar system) objects, it's an excellent instrument. Further away, deep sky objects, will be different.
The Great Nebula in Orion reveals itself as maybe the most amazing nebula available to amateur scopes.

For me, having a big image in the eyepiece is less important than knowing what you're looking at.

With pictures, the light collects and you can see things the eye can't. Long exposures open a whole new door
Are you connecting a DSLR to it?

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

What one would you recommend as a starter? I'm seeing a lot at 5 inc. But you reckon no bueno?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
What one would you recommend as a starter? I'm seeing a lot at 5 inc. But you reckon no bueno?
Meade and Celestron. I would say the two most important things are a solid mount so the whole thing doesn't shake in a breeze, and good glass. 5 inches is great. You'll get greedy though. You'll find things you'll want to see in greater detail.

In my case it was things I knew were centered in the eyepiece but weren't visible due to atmosphere, or street lighting, or resolving power. Some objects, like the Whirlpool Galaxy, were like that. I probably looked right at it dozens of times without seeing it for need of mirror size, or a filtered eyepiece.

M

member 3289

Paper straws are superior to plastic straws.

Plastic straws tear easily. Paper straws are impossible to tear from normal use.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
No way a guy who smokes as much weed as you doesn't eat fast food a lot. Good luck not spilling shit on the glass bowl in your car's second cupholder, cheech.
Eeeeeeeeasy now, nobody here is claiming I don’t eat fast food, that’s crazy talk. I just don’t use straws because I’m over 12 years old.