General "I have something to say, but it doesn't warrant its own thread."

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I can't stand all these name changes.

Why the fuck are you guys changing names.

Stick with one name and stop fucking around.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
People who think we are the only sentient life in the universe don't understand the scale of the universe.

Neither do people who think we might someday be in contact with that sentient life.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
People who think we are the only sentient life in the universe don't understand the scale of the universe.

Neither do people who think we might someday be in contact with that sentient life.
The fact space is infinite always messes my brain. The idea of getting in a spaceship and flying for 50 years winds me up. I want there to be an end.

Nov 21, 2015
I would add that you can see certain things in a scope much better than in binoculars.
The ring nebula for example.
In a 13" scope it's a ghost donut.

I don't know that you'd be able to get much of a look at it beyond
... okay, that's it I think...

And having a motor to keep an object centered is important imo

Yeah a 13' with proper lenses will beat a pair of 25 X 100s for deeper objects.
Its just the lenses and proper set up for imaging and recording get expensive
very quickly which is why I recommend people spending under a couple grand
to go with binoculars.

I have all Mallincam equipment

an 8" a 14" and a 16" for my deep objects (Thats what she said. lol)

> VRC-16 Truss Tube

Anymore then 16" is a waste. You're spending upwards of 10 grand on all the set up
and for that price you can just rent scopes and control them from your PC at home
for a fraction of the cost.

These guys are great for leasing scopes in dark remote sites > Premium Telescopes — iTelescope

I have buddies that have 27" DOBS and I just don't get why one would ever own a scope that big.

Takes 2-3 fucking people to lug that beast out to a dark site and sometimes I just don't answer my phone
when they call me to come over to help.

You're the one who bought that ungodly beast. Don't call me to throw my back out helping
you lug that fucker around a dark site. LMAO

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2015
Hit me with a good mount if you don't mind
this Optic will used in Norcal near Mt. Shasta and will be on a 3/4" crushed gravel base that is fairly solid.

It is for my dad, he uses a low grade spotting scope with a shitty low tri pod, too frugal to upgrade.
Telescope or Binocular mount?

I use a modified version of this mount for my binoculars. Modified it so I can
lay back in a recliner and its still long enough to reach me virtually lying down lol

For scopes my go to mount is Skywatcher > Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 Alt-Az / Equatorial GoTo Mount with Tripod

Whatever you get make sure its a German type Equatorial mount. It will save you giant headaches!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2015
I would add that you can see certain things in a scope much better than in binoculars.
The ring nebula for example.
In a 13" scope it's a ghost donut.

I don't know that you'd be able to get much of a look at it beyond
... okay, that's it I think...

And having a motor to keep an object centered is important imo
"And having a motor to keep an object centered is important imo"

100%

A motorized mount

A guide scope

An autofocuser is essential at minimum!

Then you need software to control it from your laptop

It gets expensive quick. You drop 8 grand on a scope and mount and find out
you gotta drop 2 more grand on a guider and autofocuser...

Then if you want to image anything its another grand or so for a video/or astro camera...

Then you think youre set and find out you need "Hyperstar" because the Fied of View is garbage
without it...

Then when you get that you quickly tire of the hour of set up and dragging all that shit out
every night it takes to set up... so you drop another few grand on a Dome for your yard so you
can leave it out in the rain and sun without having to take it all down

Its an expensive hobby but SO REWARDING

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Telescope or Binocular mount?

I use a modified version of this mount for my binoculars. Modified it so I can
lay back in a recliner and its still long enough to reach me virtually lying down lol

For scopes my go to mount is Skywatcher > Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 Alt-Az / Equatorial GoTo Mount with Tripod

Whatever you get make sure its a German type Equatorial mount. It will save you giant headaches!
Thanks for the suggestions

Reclined star gazing sounds great

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The fact space is infinite always messes my brain. The idea of getting in a spaceship and flying for 50 years winds me up. I want there to be an end.
Townes Van Zandt was a famous songwriter, and supposedly he was in 3rd grade and the teacher explained the Solar System. He just had a revelation that we're all on a big rock flying through the void and we could be snuffed out any instant.

so school was lost on him after that...like WTF are we doing sitting in this room talking about fractions and wars?

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Townes Van Zandt was a famous songwriter, and supposedly he was in 3rd grade and the teacher explained the Solar System. He just had a revelation that we're all on a big rock flying through the void and we could be snuffed out any instant.

so school was lost on him after that...like WTF are we doing sitting in this room talking about fractions and wars?
I didn't learn fuck all at school that's useful. Actually that's bollocks, I did drama and I think that helps with stuff like job interviews or public speaking.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Would you go to space if you had the opportunity? I fucken wouldn't, looks shite.id rather go to Skegness than outer space.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Yeah a 13' with proper lenses will beat a pair of 25 X 100s for deeper objects.
Its just the lenses and proper set up for imaging and recording get expensive
very quickly which is why I recommend people spending under a couple grand
to go with binoculars.

I have all Mallincam equipment

an 8" a 14" and a 16" for my deep objects (Thats what she said. lol)

> VRC-16 Truss Tube

Anymore then 16" is a waste. You're spending upwards of 10 grand on all the set up
and for that price you can just rent scopes and control them from your PC at home
for a fraction of the cost.

These guys are great for leasing scopes in dark remote sites > Premium Telescopes — iTelescope

I have buddies that have 27" DOBS and I just don't get why one would ever own a scope that big.

Takes 2-3 fucking people to lug that beast out to a dark site and sometimes I just don't answer my phone
when they call me to come over to help.

You're the one who bought that ungodly beast. Don't call me to throw my back out helping
you lug that fucker around a dark site. LMAO
Ha! ?
My first scope was a 13" Dob light bucket. No setting circles, nothing. Tube and mirror was like fifty pounds, on a lazy Susan type base, another awkward thirty or so.
Hard to move but the views were beauty.

I swear I probably looked directly at several objects but didn't see them because city lights.

Here the light pollution is so bad it drops at least a few magnitudes.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Rambo John J @Rambo John J Speaker to Animals @Speaker to Animals @

How Big is the Universe? Hooked me like cotton candy coated crack 13 years ago

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdL3R7fDL4
There just isn't any imagining it.
I try to build a mental picture by starting with the Local Group and imagining my way outward.

What made it easier was when the photos of an object were so good, it became clear that the sky is absolutely carpeted with galaxies. Everywhere.

But scale is so difficult, like in the micro world, because we instinctively look to ordinary objects for reference.
The human brain would be incapable of processing too much more afa comprehending, or trying to, infinity.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Would you go to space if you had the opportunity? I fucken wouldn't, looks shite.id rather go to Skegness than outer space.
No.
Too easy to die until the technology is better.

I'm not strapping myself onto a controlled bomb and ride it to where there's no air to breathe. That shit is for the best and brightest, with nerves of steel.