General I have the solution to NFL's problematic attempt to go to 17 games, I promise

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
So for some years now the NFL has been wanting to go 17 games, the NFL gets more money, the owners , and other corp people in the NFL, also then the players get a 6 to 10% bump in pay, on top of the slight increase they already get with the salary cap going up each year, and when you look at those million dollar salaries, that is a big progression.

Now the problem is the players, and rightfully so absolutely do not want it, because you have this issue with traumatic head injuries via concussions and other impact events through games and practice. For them that extra game each season is an extra game for that type of injury to the head. Plus for players that are good and great, they will have career of 8,9,10, sometimes 15 plus years, so that extra game a season is like half or close to all of a full season over their profession.

I thought of a solution, I am not saying no other person in the world ever thought of this, but only person I have heard mention this is me and I said it on my local sports radio show 106.7 the Fan in VA, host was supporting it and I listened after my call for about 40 minutes via driving time and then 14 minutes or whatever at home on my computer and maybe 3 callers brought up the topic and all liked my idea a lot. I say this not to try to impress people I do not know on a MMA forum off topic discussion. More that I want to show that so far others are really liking this.

We are entering the 2020 football season, probably this will happen in 2021 if they can agree to it for the new CBA by March 18th, if not then its like a free agency thing with the NFL and the NFLPA, who is getting a different general, and if they still are not getting the CBA done a strike could happen. They do not seem to be too far apart or too close, more in a reasonable range in negotiations, a few big factors need to be figured out and this game addition is maybe the biggest factor.

The ideas I hear they are talking about are silly and do not work in reality, they are talking about cutting down pre sesaon games, lol top players already are skipping most of the pre season and its about regular season numbers of plays.

This will get very wordy because of my desire of detail so I will break it into at least 2 posts for my presenting my OP, I appreciate you giving your time and comments. It is the discussion where you see the reactions that helps guide us to discard, achieve approval, or tune an idea to keep progress fluent I feel.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
With the present scenario, you only need to do these simple steps, and my essential formula will show the desirable revelation.

Have an open mind, keep your candor, put it in application, and let me know. If you think it does not work, kindly say why. I think it is dare I say 100% fulfillment and easy and gets everyone happy. If you like it, kindly say why also, I will never bore of compliments lol

1.You track the highest number of snaps anyone has at all the positions of the players that actually even stay healthy to a point of playing all 16 games
2.You track it for the most recent 5 years entering the season, so would be 2016 to 2020 for the player that has the most plays at all the positions.
3.You take the average you get when you add the total of all 5 years and divide by 5
4.Whatever that number is would be the highest dosage of plays each player all the positions can play
5.Add the 2nd bye week, players will be less worn out and injury laden, and fresher when the playoffs emerge

When it comes to the players concerns of head safety and the extra game, a concern all fans and people should have honestly, more than the games it is about the amount of plays. Football is a set of tiny mini games called plays. It is not like Basketball or Soccer or Hockey where it is about total time you put in, baseball does have some similar parts in that each pitch is a play but also other things that are not alike to football. The exact ratio each player has to injury is related to how many plays, aka mini games, they have each week and season. Say there was a linebacker who had the highest play total of 820 plays in 2016, and 860,900,840,880 where the highest totals any linebacker each following year, giving the 5 year average 860, so the most any linebacker could play in 2021 would be 860 plays. Having the specific number of plays be a number that does not exceed any 16 game season, guarantees there is no extra increase of injury to the player.

So for the players the issue is solved, and actually truly is an improvement because not only is there 0 extra injury risk from the extra game, they also get a monetary gain ahead of what they where to get in upcoming seasons.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How would you regulate this? Team A has a shot at playoffs but cant play player B because he's hit his play quota?

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
There is one factor remaining to truly be the absolute 100% effective measure I think it is. What do you do with the players that are playing all 16 games, and are starters that are in for a lot of plays. Easy. First of all, right now NFL rosters have 53 guys on a team, may increase, but that is present count. You only have 22 starters. So 31 of 53 already no worries. Of the 22 starters, the average number of starters on a team that play a full season is maybe not even 30%. The teams that are super healthy will have like 65% of their starters play all season. Then only is it more typical that like 6 starters play all 22, my Redskins for example. The last 2 years not only did just about every single starter get injured, like half or more of those positions even the backups got injured and 3rd and 4th or 5th string guys where playing. The Redskins last year had only 2 starters play all 16, Jon Bostic and Erik Flowers, and Flowers even with playing all 16 missed a lot of plays via endurance recovery. The year before they had 5 play all 16.

Now the position that really is the key position, maybe in all of teamp sports in impact outside of a super dominant basketball player where position don't matter but the player does, is Quarterback. In Football in particular far and away most key position. They already make a lot of rules to keep qb's as healthy as possible and with more chances to play each game, and even including those rule changes last year only 11 of 32 qb's played all 32 games. Of those who played every game I give an average of 1000 plays. The number is actually in that ballpark because NFL teams have a range of 57 to 69 play a game on offense, so the low 60's is aveage plays a game a qb will have.
If you take 62.5 as the average plays of an offense in the NFL and multiply 16 you get exactly 1000. The most recent 5 year average of highest plays a season for a qb entering 2021 is say 1085 plays, so for 2021 , during 17 games the qb has 1085 as the max. Lets say in 2021 qb's are healthier, and less players are pulled mid game etc.. sat next week for performance reasons or to groom a developing qb and say 18 qbs play all 17 games. Of the 18 that play, not even half will even get to the 1085 number, because that number is based on max plays not average plays a season of previous 5 years. If there was no limit on plays, and the high end is the high 60s for plays a game on offense, then they would be exceeding the 1085 number by 30 to 50 plays at most. So as a coach you know this and you can plan around it easily. If you happen to be in some games early or mid sesaon where you are essentially almost a given to lose or win when it got to the 4th quarter, early , or middle or late, then you can simply sit your qb a few snaps here or there. Even if you are in close game after close game during the season, about once a game, a team will be involved in a drive where it will be 25 or less seconds in the first half and the coach will just have the qb hike and go down.

So again, you would only need to manage at most 30 or so plays over 17 weeks to have your starting qb not play. Logistically over an NFL season with all the various circumstances that is beyond easy to do. So again, out of 32 qbs, only about half at most will even play all 17 games, and most of those 17 wont even get to the play count top season total, and of the few that do as long as the coach sits them for the 3 or more meaningless plays that happen during each game even that wont present an issue.

Also as I was saying, the other positions are even easier because higher injury rate plus even guys that play all the games without getting injured or getting taken out for performance, on a lot of positions like on the O line and D line and the linebackers even the starters already play more like 2/3 of the plays so it is not that tough to take a 17 game starter out another handful of plays on the slim times they even play all the games.

I really think this is the solution, players win, the fans win, the owners win because not only do they get more money with the extra games like the players do also, because of this formula of the extra bye week and given numbers of total season plays, it gets the players actually healthier late year and the product is actually having a chance to have a higher level of function.

Hoping they go with my strategy, if they do it will achieve beyond what they hope for and bring everyone a fast leap to the treasures of the plan to enjoy and revel, even fans may get better pricing and rewards.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
How would you regulate this? Team A has a shot at playoffs but cant play player B because he's hit his play quota?

Did you read all 3 posts?

you made your comment about first 2, 3rd post happily moves into the example you give.

Remember, of the 22 starters, most wont play all 17 games, of the players that do probably not even half will hit the 17 game play quote for their position, of the ones who in theory would if they where not subbed at in fitting times, would only have to be mildly adjusted as you go.

Think about it, you don't just know in the late part of the season, you start the season off with a healthy or predominantly healthy assortment of starters, the scenario you are talking about never even comes into play because as a coach you dont just sit there and ignore the max total for 15 games and then on game 16 think " I need to rest my guy whatever plays so he can play all or most of the 17th game".

I spell all that out, if it is week 3, and you are up 40-14, once you get within 5 minutes left in the game the outcome is a given so long as your coach does not have your throwing the ball around like a fool. So right there you can get in most of the plays you need, I even pointed out that if you have all close games, which just about never happens, you still have so many chances inside of games to take your star player out for a few plays if he is pacing to get past the limit.

From the sheer semantics of football, even if a team had all of their games be super close, there are still sequences each games where you can sub your player a few players, like the end of half drives that are 3 play hike and do nothing plays, other type of sequences too.

I know it was a lot of writing, so I broke it up in various posts, but I happily will answer peoples questions, I want folks really getting my true plan and then deciding how they feel.

In a scientific method, in use, it works easily. NoDoubt

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
So for some years now the NFL has been wanting to go 17 games, the NFL gets more money, the owners , and other corp people in the NFL, also then the players get a 6 to 10% bump in pay, on top of the slight increase they already get with the salary cap going up each year, and when you look at those million dollar salaries, that is a big progression.

Now the problem is the players, and rightfully so absolutely do not want it, because you have this issue with traumatic head injuries via concussions and other impact events through games and practice. For them that extra game each season is an extra game for that type of injury to the head. Plus for players that are good and great, they will have career of 8,9,10, sometimes 15 plus years, so that extra game a season is like half or close to all of a full season over their profession.

I thought of a solution, I am not saying no other person in the world ever thought of this, but only person I have heard mention this is me and I said it on my local sports radio show 106.7 the Fan in VA, host was supporting it and I listened after my call for about 40 minutes via driving time and then 14 minutes or whatever at home on my computer and maybe 3 callers brought up the topic and all liked my idea a lot. I say this not to try to impress people I do not know on a MMA forum off topic discussion. More that I want to show that so far others are really liking this.

We are entering the 2020 football season, probably this will happen in 2021 if they can agree to it for the new CBA by March 18th, if not then its like a free agency thing with the NFL and the NFLPA, who is getting a different general, and if they still are not getting the CBA done a strike could happen. They do not seem to be too far apart or too close, more in a reasonable range in negotiations, a few big factors need to be figured out and this game addition is maybe the biggest factor.

The ideas I hear they are talking about are silly and do not work in reality, they are talking about cutting down pre sesaon games, lol top players already are skipping most of the pre season and its about regular season numbers of plays.

This will get very wordy because of my desire of detail so I will break it into at least 2 posts for my presenting my OP, I appreciate you giving your time and comments. It is the discussion where you see the reactions that helps guide us to discard, achieve approval, or tune an idea to keep progress fluent I feel.
Where have you been for a year and a half?

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Do you want to summaraize that with bullet points?

Someone on here once said (paraphrasing)...

"If I had more time I would have sent you a shorter letter."

I'm interested in your topic but I also have a life. I quit reading after I realized your first wall of text was nothing but an intro/warning for future walls of text.

Brevity, bro.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

I'm interested in your topic but I also have a life. I quit reading after I realized your first wall of text was nothing but an intro/warning for future walls of text.

Brevity, bro.
I barely made it through this post. Let alone whatever nonsense OP is talking about

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015

Brevity, bro.
My thoughts exactly.

I'll be reading all that up there right around the time the earth crashes into the sun.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

Brevity, bro.
And SensoriaUtopia @SensoriaUtopia - I didn't intend for this to be mean-spirited.

But I have the attention span of a 5 year old, and I'm much more sophisticated than most of the idiots on this forum.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
And SensoriaUtopia @SensoriaUtopia - I didn't intend for this to be mean-spirited.

But I have the attention span of a 5 year old, and I'm much more sophisticated than most of the idiots on this forum.

Essentially the owners want a 17th game, more money for the and the players, cooler for fans, but the hickup is the brain injury risk increasing iwth the extra game.

So the perfect answer is to set a play limit under the 17 game schedule.

To determine the limit for each position you average out the past 5 years the player wiht the highest play count at their position, you then set that as a cap.

90% or more wont even approach the number due to injury, getting subbed, or getting to the play count number, the few players that are pacing to reach the limit can easily be adjusted by having them sit a few plays here and there through the season.

You dont want to try to sub your star player last couple weeks, you just manage as you go.

Via sheer semantics of each game, end of half drives that teams just run out the clock, or games where its 3rd or 4th quarter and outcome is almost a lock, etc...in practice it is super easy.

I wanted to give super detail because I was anticipating whatever questions you all would have. I know it is wordy but the 3 posts does spell it all out.

It really will work once they get smart and go with my idea

Inspire

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
100% there's going to be a strike.

Also, OP is making the mistake of thinking that the only risk is 'brain injury'.

Players don't want a 17th game because that's another 60m of risk for career-ending injury.
Another game at the end of the season, when most guys are carrying injuries anyway, adds more risk than the 1st game...it's not a linear risk progression, so 6-10% isn't worth it