I like Max Holloway's idea

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is what Dominick Cruz ssid during post-fight commentary

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
pretty obvious fuckery with this new electronic scorecard system

far from transparent and I suspect that is on purpose

That judge wasn't watching fights because he probably wasn't actually scoring the fights

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Rashad Evans vs Thiago Silva
Alistair Overeem vs Frank Mir
Rashad Evans vs Rampage Jackson

Fights where the eventual winner was up the first 2 rounds(clearly), and coasted the 3rd round avoiding the fight making it very anti climatic. If a fight has open scoring showing someone up 2 rounds to none, whether the fight is close or not, this open judging system creates a "coast to win" aspect that makes the most exciting part of fighting, the finish, anti climatic as fighters up 2-0 with run away from the fight.

The entire system of "judging" needs to be thrown away. Get rid of judging all together. I've thought of an entire new system that would work, it just needs to be implemented and accepted.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Starting in 2021, we have TOURNAMENTS again, per weight class.

Top 16 fighters of every weight class will be qualified every year.

Tournament is spread out over the course of a year, where at the end of the year, the final two fighters of a weight class who went 3-0 already, will face off at the end of the year to determine who is that year's best fighter for that weight class.

You will have 1 fighter per weight class who not only fought 4 times in one year, but won all four. Imagine this system being the norm and how bad ass one would be to be a tournament winner of their weight class for consecutive years!! Have the tournament winners be paid significant amount along with a title of 202x winner of x-weight class.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
What if we didn't use judges at all?
win - lose - draw

JBJ's record would be 16-1-10
(16 wins (TKO, KO, SUB) ; 1 loss (that DQ to Hamill) ; 10 fights that went the distance

It's dumb - but so is having a fighter's W/L record dictated by judges who often have no fucking clue what they are watching.

You'd definitely have a lot more fighters looking to finish.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
What if we didn't use judges at all?
win - lose - draw

JBJ's record would be 16-1-10
(16 wins (TKO, KO, SUB) ; 1 loss (that DQ to Hamill) ; 10 fights that went the distance

It's dumb - but so is having a fighter's W/L record dictated by judges who often have no fucking clue what they are watching.

You'd definitely have a lot more fighters looking to finish.
Yes

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

Fights where the eventual winner was up the first 2 rounds(clearly), and coasted the 3rd round avoiding the fight making it very anti climatic. If a fight has open scoring showing someone up 2 rounds to none, whether the fight is close or not, this open judging system creates a "coast to win" aspect that makes the most exciting part of fighting, the finish, anti climatic as fighters up 2-0 with run away from the fight.

The entire system of "judging" needs to be thrown away. Get rid of judging all together. I've thought of an entire new system that would work, it just needs to be implemented and accepted.
Even if fighters didn't know, having it reported on the broadcast like it's been done in several boxing matches isn't a bad idea. I'm sure someone could text a corner to tell them they're up but that's solved by banning devices for corners.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I like the idea.

To push it even further, allow the fighters to see the scores before the next round starts.

Also, bring it back to the early days and introduce each judge on camera at the start of the PPV.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
I remember them trying this in boxing. Pros, you can see how corrupt the judging is and if you're down in the scorecards you know you need to hit the gas. Cons, takes the excitement of not knowing the scores and if someone is up by a few rounds they can just coast like Oscar De La Cokehead did when the GOAT Felix "Tito" Trinidad beat dat ass...

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
should get rid of the judges, let the crowd decide who won the fight, like a rap battle. (if it goes to decision)

if they boo both, then it's a draw or a no-contest

boom. problem fixed

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Will this not cause extremely cautious actions by the fighter ahead on the cards?

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015

I do agree with this, but this is where the refs should be a lot more strict with the timidity rule. If you avoid the action, first warning, then point deduction, and keep deducting points if the winning fighter keeps being timid because he's happy to win 29-28.

We have point deductions for a reason and they're rarely used. I think if we continue to have the unified-rules judging system then they should be used more often.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Will this not cause extremely cautious actions by the fighter ahead on the cards?
Yes but the fighters behind on the cards will push the action harder. Maybe it balances out?

The way judges have been scoring, the fighter more frantic for the finish will look like he is controlling the fight more and will probably win the rounds.

Reminds me of football teams that are ahead going to the prevent defense. It doesn't always work out for them.

Last edited:

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I do agree with this, but this is where the refs should be a lot more strict with the timidity rule. If you avoid the action, first warning, then point deduction, and keep deducting points if the winning fighter keeps being timid because he's happy to win 29-28.

We have point deductions for a reason and they're rarely used. I think if we continue to have the unified-rules judging system then they should be used more often.

Allowing a way to win fights without a finish will only result in fighters not giving it there all. It's entirely possible Rashad and Overeem were trying to avoid the fight, but do just enough to make it look like they weren't.

If you implement a system that encourages fighters to fight multiple times a year, finishes are rewarded, then that will eliminate options to win on the slightest of momentum, eliminate fighters not giving it there all.

Twelve Twenty Four

Jan 21, 2016

Tournament is spread out over the course of a year, where at the end of the year, the final two fighters of a weight class who went 3-0 already, will face off at the end of the year to determine who is that year's best fighter for that weight class.

You will have 1 fighter per weight class who not only fought 4 times in one year, but won all four. Imagine this system being the norm and how bad ass one would be to be a tournament winner of their weight class for consecutive years!! Have the tournament winners be paid significant amount along with a title of 202x winner of x-weight class.
isn't this similar to what Bellator tried to do?

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
isn't this similar to what Bellator tried to do?
Similar but different.

Bellator picks and chooses the marquee fighters on their roster instead of basing it on ranks.

Plus Bellator still uses judges to score fights where as my proposal eliminates judges. Match makers/promoters have to make fights regardless of the outcome, so just eliminate judges and their paychecks and keep everything else the same, but watch how the fights improve.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

I love it!