General I love my job

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Bushkill Blades

Oct 25, 2016
Making knives is fun.

Being privileged enough to work with historical pieces is orgasmic.

This is a Type 30 Arisaka Bayonet I recently took from rust to beauty.

Even went as far as restoring the release mechanism at the back that aided with the typical loop attachment.

This was fucking FUN.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015

Bushkill Blades @Bushkill Blades

I really wish you would post more here man. No PAYING to advertise your brilliant skills. We would all jump into competitions etc if you were around more.

I was once SaddamHugeVein over at that place...I've seen your work for years...Give us a go a bit more man...Good to see you around.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I come from a part of Britain where weekends used to be going out with my parents finding fossils so I love this

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
That’s great you enjoy what you do,that’s a lesson for everyone, I think when a person is able to use their creativity to create or restore things like you do Bush there is a sense of value/accomplishment in your work..it’s very satisfying..and if you can make money off it as well ..then all the better!

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I just love handmade shit. Unique craftsmanship that evolves from idea on a napkin to polished final product. Much rather pay a bit more for something like this, than a mass produced widget sold in retail stores, because I know someone took pride in making it. My grandpa made knives and hand tools, and I used to love watching him work. They were nothing as nice as bushkills but to me, they were the best thing ever.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Making knives is fun.

Being privileged enough to work with historical pieces is orgasmic.

This is a Type 30 Arisaka Bayonet I recently took from rust to beauty.

Even went as far as restoring the release mechanism at the back that aided with the typical loop attachment.

This was fucking FUN.
i have some K-31 bayonets if you want to play.

i even have some of the ultra-rare Pioneer models

M

member 1013

I too love my job. I am also a craftsman like you that works with my hands. Your canvas is steel and mine is porcelain. Your brush a smiths hammer, mine a scrubbing stick and cloth.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
those are nice
what is the story on them? the rare one?
they were put on the Schmidt-Rubin K-31 rifles for the Swiss army in WWII.
The K-31 is unique among rifles in that the cartridge (7.5 X 55mm) was designed first, and then the weapon platform designed around it. In fact, the very name Schmidt-Rubin is a reference to the cartridge designer, Eduard Rubin, and the action designer, Rudolph Schmidt. The cartridge has a 'wax' ring sealing the bullet to the case, which turns in to a lubricating/sealing gas when the round is discharged. The bullets are nickel washed to improve in-flight stability and penetration. The rifles were issued to individual soldiers for their entire service life, and the soldiers would put a tag with their name, their unit name and address under the butt stock plate. Many of the bulk rifles still have those tags. Kinda cool.

The rifle is easily identified by its 'straight-pull' action. It's a bolt action that the operator doesn't have to rotate. I could go in to all the engineering details (like the little thing sticking out from under the barrel is a way to stand 3 rifles up together), but it's a marvel of precision, simplicity, reliability, and accuracy. It has a sight cover, detachable magazine, and that big ring on the back is the safety. The safety is completely silent, can be operated wearing heavy gloves, and a soldier can work the action without raising their head. Which means they don't have to expose themselves to counterfire when re-chambering a round. When the Swiss dumped their armory, these rifles could be had for $89. I bought one because it was so cheap, and took it to an outdoor range. After two sighting shots to adjust the sights, I put 3 consecutive rounds on a 10" target from 500 yards out, open sights on a bench rest.

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: 'You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?'
The soldier replied: 'We will shoot twice and go home.'"

The 'pioneer' bayonets were only issued to very select units. Engineering troops, mounted artillery, saddle makers, and blacksmiths. Basically, troops that would need to cut brush or make staves as part of their combat role.

I thought the fact that it's a rare piece that was only issued to blacksmiths would make Bushkill Blades @Bushkill Blades' nipples firm(er).

The Krauts also had a bayonet with a sawback, but once the tide of war started turning against the JewKillers, German troops started filing off the sawbacks in case they were captured...lots of reports of liberated citizens using those bayonets to remove pieces of captured Nazis.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
they were put on the Schmidt-Rubin K-31 rifles for the Swiss army in WWII.
The K-31 is unique among rifles in that the cartridge (7.5 X 55mm) was designed first, and then the weapon platform designed around it. In fact, the very name Schmidt-Rubin is a reference to the cartridge designer, Eduard Rubin, and the action designer, Rudolph Schmidt. The cartridge has a 'wax' ring sealing the bullet to the case, which turns in to a lubricating/sealing gas when the round is discharged. The bullets are nickel washed to improve in-flight stability and penetration. The rifles were issued to individual soldiers for their entire service life, and the soldiers would put a tag with their name, their unit name and address under the butt stock plate. Many of the bulk rifles still have those tags. Kinda cool.

The rifle is easily identified by its 'straight-pull' action. It's a bolt action that the operator doesn't have to rotate. I could go in to all the engineering details (like the little thing sticking out from under the barrel is a way to stand 3 rifles up together), but it's a marvel of precision, simplicity, reliability, and accuracy. It has a sight cover, detachable magazine, and that big ring on the back is the safety. The safety is completely silent, can be operated wearing heavy gloves, and a soldier can work the action without raising their head. Which means they don't have to expose themselves to counterfire when re-chambering a round. When the Swiss dumped their armory, these rifles could be had for $89. I bought one because it was so cheap, and took it to an outdoor range. After two sighting shots to adjust the sights, I put 3 consecutive rounds on a 10" target from 500 yards out, open sights on a bench rest.

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: 'You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?'
The soldier replied: 'We will shoot twice and go home.'"

The 'pioneer' bayonets were only issued to very select units. Engineering troops, mounted artillery, saddle makers, and blacksmiths. Basically, troops that would need to cut brush or make staves as part of their combat role.

I thought the fact that it's a rare piece that was only issued to blacksmiths would make Bushkill Blades @Bushkill Blades' nipples firm(er).

The Krauts also had a bayonet with a sawback, but once the tide of war started turning against the JewKillers, German troops started filing off the sawbacks in case they were captured...lots of reports of liberated citizens using those bayonets to remove pieces of captured Nazis.
fascinating...love that stuff
thanks for the rundown
very well written and fun to read (pasted or not)

maybe someday I will see one at a good price now that I know about them

I am sure Bushkill will enjoy them when he checks back in

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
fascinating...love that stuff
thanks for the rundown
very well written and fun to read (pasted or not)

maybe someday I will see one at a good price now that I know about them

I am sure Bushkill will enjoy them when he checks back in
appreciate it. (I only pasted the Kaiser story) :cheers: