General I need an electric guitar amp

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
If you're looking for a GREAT sound get a TUBE amp!! Solid State, modeling and Combinations of the two will only make you want to move up sooner than later. For the budget there is one TUBE AMP that's fantastic!!! Under $200.00 and goes on sale frequently for around $149.00. Does sound very good and gets LOUD!! Later on if you want to improve on it, Change the speaker (most players do this with amps to suite their sound). Found out about these 2 years ago, picked one up while waiting for my Vintage Fender to be repaired. Use it to practise and have used it for smaller gigs. Just look at reviews and you'll see it's one of the best values out there. I'll post a link Below.

Congrats on the guitar. Keep playing and on tip... Ya don't have to press so hard that your fingers actually touch the fretboard, as long as the string is touching the fret and no buzz your good. Tone and pitch will be better and frets will last longer. Was in a pro class in Nashville once a few years back for a weekend, the teacher said put a tuner on the headstock and see if the pitch goes high when playing a note. If it does, too much pressure. Most folks apply too much, like many I was one.

BTW This is a 15W Tube with Reverb Tank and 12" Celestion Speaker
Monoprice 15-Watt, 1x12 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker and Spring Reverb - Monoprice.com

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Yikes. I've lucked out on that. May need to do a new gear thread.
my cousin mentioned it. He teaches privates to some very privileged kids, and does a lot of community music camps for not-so-privileged kids. So he's heard the stories, LoL.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
"This one is digital, lots of sounds to discover and play with. Maybe a little overwhelming at first but the manual is helpful."

Fender Mustang I V.2 20-watt 1x8" Modeling Combo Amp

EDIT: not sure if it works with that Fender, but the nice thing about digital is that you can just d/l 'signature' settings and get the sound you're after. You can always get the manual inputs for a digital, if the one you get doesn't support it.

Heavy-metal | Sound and Tone Settings for Mustang Amps | Fender Tone

Last edited:

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
"This one is digital, lots of sounds to discover and play with. Maybe a little overwhelming at first but the manual is helpful."

Fender Mustang I V.2 20-watt 1x8" Modeling Combo Amp

EDIT: not sure if it works with that Fender, but the nice thing about digital is that you can just d/l 'signature' settings and get the sound you're after. You can always get the manual inputs for a digital, if the one you get doesn't support it.

Heavy-metal | Sound and Tone Settings for Mustang Amps | Fender Tone
As a tone snob I'd recommend staying away from "modeling" amps. Unless you're dropping a grand or better digital always sounds fake. Even then you can hear it. They make great 15 watt tube amps or even hybrids that sound excellent.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
As a tone snob I'd recommend staying away from "modeling" amps. Unless you're dropping a grand or better digital always sounds fake. Even then you can hear it. They make great 15 watt tube amps or even hybrids that sound excellent.
Agreed, it's tube or nothing for me

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Get a Marshall half stack.

That way you can just add on to your rig when you make it big
What model is that fist pic? Looks like a newer one. Also, I doubt more than 1 of those cabs actually have speakers in it lol

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
If you're looking for a GREAT sound get a TUBE amp!! Solid State, modeling and Combinations of the two will only make you want to move up sooner than later. For the budget there is one TUBE AMP that's fantastic!!! Under $200.00 and goes on sale frequently for around $149.00. Does sound very good and gets LOUD!! Later on if you want to improve on it, Change the speaker (most players do this with amps to suite their sound). Found out about these 2 years ago, picked one up while waiting for my Vintage Fender to be repaired. Use it to practise and have used it for smaller gigs. Just look at reviews and you'll see it's one of the best values out there. I'll post a link Below.

Congrats on the guitar. Keep playing and on tip... Ya don't have to press so hard that your fingers actually touch the fretboard, as long as the string is touching the fret and no buzz your good. Tone and pitch will be better and frets will last longer. Was in a pro class in Nashville once a few years back for a weekend, the teacher said put a tuner on the headstock and see if the pitch goes high when playing a note. If it does, too much pressure. Most folks apply too much, like many I was one.

BTW This is a 15W Tube with Reverb Tank and 12" Celestion Speaker
Monoprice 15-Watt, 1x12 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker and Spring Reverb - Monoprice.com
Sorry for making so many posts. It's just that my life revolves around guitar playing/music and this thread is really interesting to me.

Out of all the recommendations in the thread, I would go with this. It's a legit tube amp for only $200. Although you may not notice the difference in sound quality between this and a Line 6 or something, believe me, this is far superior to a cheap $100 solid state amp

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
This discontinued head with a 4x12
Marshall MG100HCFX 100-watt 4-channel Head with Effects

As for the wall - you might be right. Probably depends on what year that pic was taken.
One of my first amps was a Marshall MG50DFX lol. When I was like 14. It actually sounded pretty good for what it was, a cheap little solid state. I'm gonna check out some videos of that 100HCFX, I don't think I've ever seen it before but I like the look of it.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
One of my first amps was a Marshall MG50DFX lol. When I was like 14. It actually sounded pretty good for what it was, a cheap little solid state. I'm gonna check out some videos of that 100HCFX, I don't think I've ever seen it before but I like the look of it.
It's discontinued.
I still have my original solid state Crate amp from the 80s. It's loud as fuck. 500 watts. Because - you know - it was the 80s.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
It's discontinued.
I still have my original solid state Crate amp from the 80s. It's loud as fuck. 500 watts. Because - you know - it was the 80s.
Yep I saw that, I'm checking out some videos now. Just curious how it sounds.

Dude, my friend has a 500 watt Crate. That's funny you say that. I think it's the loudest amp I have ever heard in person. He had a double stack with it too... psycho lol

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Yep I saw that, I'm checking out some videos now. Just curious how it sounds.

Dude, my friend has a 500 watt Crate. That's funny you say that. I think it's the loudest amp I have ever heard in person. He had a double stack with it too... psycho lol
LOL. I can't imagine a double stack with my amp.
Mine is a GX-130C combo amp

I bought it when I was 16 years old. I was playing through it at a music store and the sales dude came up to me and was like...

Sales dude: "This would be a great amp for smaller venues or bars. Plenty loud, especially if you put a cab under it. Where do you plan on using it?"

16 yr old Hauler: "My bedroom. I'll take it."

It still sounds as good as the day I bought it.

M

member 603

Agreed, it's tube or nothing for me
In studio I use to use a lot of tube amps (Ampeg SVT 900), I prefer solid state on tours, my main rig in the US for years was my GK 1000RB head (into my Mess Boogie Powerhouse 1500 cab)..... In Europe and Asia I had an endorsement with Hughes and Kettner, I used their Bass Base 600 Amp and 8x10 cab... That Bass Base head was a tube, and it was AMAZING, but if it didn't get a good 40 mins every night to warm up, I feel like I'd be fighting it that night to get my sound right.

Nowadays there are so many decent solid state digital amps that a ton of big names are using those because they're easier to maintain on the road.... Tubes in the studio, solid state on tours

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My Orange sounds great clean. I used to be a Marshall player but switched.
Lot of people swear by orange amps. The only thing negative I've heard is people not liking their clean tones. myself I've never plugged into an orange but I'm really fond of the Marshalls for their crunch and fenders clean tones.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Lot of people swear by orange amps. The only thing negative I've heard is people not liking their clean tones. myself I've never plugged into an orange but I'm really fond of the Marshalls for their crunch and fenders clean tones.
I agree, my favorite clean tone out there is probably a classic Twin Reverb sound. Let me ask, are you a big FX guy? Personally, I have scaled way down on pedals and shit. You can definitely get around "bad" or cheap tone with them, but I feel like the best clean sound out there is say, a really heavy bodyweight Gibson plugged into a Twin. Or, of course, a Plexi (my favorite Marshall).

Honestly, I know I said I "switched" but if I had endless $, I would absolutely have a bunch of bad ass Marshalls at my disposal. Along with many other amps. But yeah, Marshall is the overall GOAT IMO. But for price and my sound, I think Orange has served me well.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
In studio I use to use a lot of tube amps (Ampeg SVT 900), I prefer solid state on tours, my main rig in the US for years was my GK 1000RB head (into my Mess Boogie Powerhouse 1500 cab)..... In Europe and Asia I had an endorsement with Hughes and Kettner, I used their Bass Base 600 Amp and 8x10 cab... That Bass Base head was a tube, and it was AMAZING, but if it didn't get a good 40 mins every night to warm up, I feel like I'd be fighting it that night to get my sound right.

Nowadays there are so many decent solid state digital amps that a ton of big names are using those because they're easier to maintain on the road.... Tubes in the studio, solid state on tours
Oh yeah, I hear you 100% on this. I've never done an actual tour, but even bringing a tube head to a local club is a massive pain in the ass. I can't imagine the nightmare of having to tour with one. Especially vintage stuff. Like you said, too - tube amps HAVE to warm up, I don't care what anyone says. You'll never get as good of a sound from a tube that's just been on a few minutes vs one that has been on for 20, 30 etc.

On a side note though - sounds like you have some pretty bad ass gear man! Would love to see pics.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I agree, my favorite clean tone out there is probably a classic Twin Reverb sound. Let me ask, are you a big FX guy? Personally, I have scaled way down on pedals and shit. You can definitely get around "bad" or cheap tone with them, but I feel like the best clean sound out there is say, a really heavy bodyweight Gibson plugged into a Twin. Or, of course, a Plexi (my favorite Marshall).

Honestly, I know I said I "switched" but if I had endless $, I would absolutely have a bunch of bad ass Marshalls at my disposal. Along with many other amps. But yeah, Marshall is the overall GOAT IMO. But for price and my sound, I think Orange has served me well.
Two tones for me, clean and dirty! I'm not that talented of a guitar player so pissing around with fx just makes my terrible playing sound worse!

I try to get Tony Iommi's sound or David Gilmour

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Here's a pic of my some of my guitars and my amp I use at home. Like I said - I don't have huge $, so this isn't the most high end stuff in the world.

Orange Dark Terror 7/15 watt head - It's unbelievably loud for a 15 watt tube amp. I have gigged with it before without putting it into the PA, as crazy as that sounds.

Jackson RRMG Pro Series Rhoads (EMG 81/85) - this is my main live guitar, tone wise it isn't as good as my Explorer but it has a Floyd Rose and stays in tune no matter how much I beat it up or bend the strings.

Epiphone Silverburst Explorer - one day I hope to own a legit Gibson, but this was the highest end Epiphone available. I replaced all of the hardware with real Gibson stuff (tunes, bridge etc) and IMO, it's basically the same. I know, I know, purists will say it's not - but for the $800 price diff, it gets the job done.

Martin DCPA5K - a beautiful acoustic that really feels and sounds like a Martin for under $1,000. My favorite I've ever had.

Mitchell 12 string - this is nothing special, but I got this for free from my cousin when he worked at a pawn shop. It sounds really nice for the rare occasion I use a 12 string, so, nothing bad to say about it really.

The bass in the back was a piece of shit Squier I had laying around, you can totally ignore that lol. Since this photo, I ended up playing bass at a Halloween gig this year (doing a special Danzig cover show!), and it was incredibly fun.. so, I bought a legit bass for that. I had never played bass in a band before, and knew obviously the $200 Squier wasn't going to cut it for an actual show. The Jackson is nothing crazy, but it was a massive upgrade and the neck felt great on it. Here's a few pics of it

From the Danzig Halloween cover show (I'm wearing a wig if you can't tell haha)

Anyway I just love talking gear. I have an Orange Rockerverb 100 that both me and my buddy share at the practice space we use, we got an incredible deal on a used one and split it. Through a Marshall cab with Celestion speakers.

Peace! Would love to see some gear ITT.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Two tones for me, clean and dirty! I'm not that talented of a guitar player so pissing around with fx just makes my terrible playing sound worse!

I try to get Tony Iommi's sound or David Gilmour
Iommi is the GOAT!!! He and Gilmour certainly are easily among the top guitar sounds in history. Hard to touch those guys.

Dude, my cousin has the signature Laney Iommi amp, and I was blown away by how great it sounds. The distortion is phenomenal on it. Love the crosses cut into the metal as well.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Iommi is the GOAT!!! He and Gilmour certainly are easily among the top guitar sounds in history. Hard to touch those guys.

Dude, my cousin has the signature Laney Iommi amp, and I was blown away by how great it sounds. The distortion is phenomenal on it. Love the crosses cut into the metal as well.
Tony said the easiest way to get his sound was gain all the way up tone all the way down!

M

member 603

Oh yeah, I hear you 100% on this. I've never done an actual tour, but even bringing a tube head to a local club is a massive pain in the ass. I can't imagine the nightmare of having to tour with one. Especially vintage stuff. Like you said, too - tube amps HAVE to warm up, I don't care what anyone says. You'll never get as good of a sound from a tube that's just been on a few minutes vs one that has been on for 20, 30 etc.

On a side note though - sounds like you have some pretty bad ass gear man! Would love to see pics.
Oh I wish I still had all of my old gear... Most of my US gear I sold off, I still have my GK 1000 RB head, but now I just have a 4x10 cab I use, and a Boss GT-1B pedal..

I own 15 basses... My main 2 road dogs are my black 4 string Music Man (that was my first option, and in Europe it was my D tuned bass) and my 4 string Fender P....

Here's some old pics of me and the H&K gear...

I'm back in the studio this year working on a few new projects, so I may get a new Bass cab for shows (also thinking about adding a new model Ernie Ball Music Man, and a Fender Dimension to the bass line up), and I'm using Native Instruments MK2 and MK3 controllers and software, and Ableton Live for EDM and Hip Hop projects I'm working on too. In studio I exclusively use Sennheiser mics and headphones.

M

member 603

Some old show pics...

A couple using my Washburn acoustic bass...

And some other random shows...

Can't wait to hit the stage again soon