I need diverse workout/diet advice. Nothing obvious fits me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
OK. So I have read a bunch of the threads here, the How much carbs should i be eating? | The MMA Community Forum thread is the one that seems closest to what I am asking, but... wait let me explain from the start.

I play squash. I used to do a few combat sports but seriously injured my achillies, it's fine now but incredibly sensitive to impact directly too it. I tried Judo, Taekwondo, BJJ, but couldnt risk the impact, it hurt too much. So I took up squash (I played a little as a junior). Squash requires racket skills, speed, cardio and functional strength (not lifting strength in my opinion). I have seriously stagnated recently, I've had 6-8 months of getting very fat and suffering in my personal life that has meant I have got relatively out of shape. I am sure this story is regularly brought up. However my requirements to return to form have eluded me. A workout routine around my schedule and with my goals is always something I have wrestled with. I would LOVE some advice. So, my "requirements":

Monday - Open to advice, currently squash practice.
Tuesday - Team match, like match day for any sport. The day I need to perform.
Wednesday - Open to advice, currently a circuit
Thursday - Cycling 2-3 hours, open to change.
Friday - Open to advice, currently some sort of circuit or squash.
Sat - Rest
Sunday - Squash team training. Tough session which pushes me hard but it is games.

So, with this 7 day schedule in mind I need to try and fit in the following. To make it easier I have ranked them in order of importance to me (open to change). 1 is most important.:
  1. Squash movement - grooving this really can improve your game, I like to do it when I can but takes so much energy. It's a sprint circuit essentially
  2. Improving funcitonal strength circuit - I use a circuit to improve strength, is this right? I have lifted plenty in the past but I need to get slimmer and carry as little weight as possible. This circuit is usually both cardio and strength. 50sec on an exercise, 10 rest.
  3. Squash practice - this is fairly low impact, just hitting the ball and concentrating on technique
  4. I like to swim, cycle and run. But fitting them in comes second to performing in squash.
We are in the squash off season and have a few weeks to play around with a routine. And try new sessions. So, here I am...

I also try to eat as clean as I can. This is a constant battle for me, I need to lose weight. I weigh too much to be optimal and have plenty of fat that can go. Just, I suffer so hard with lack of energy when I do. I really dont know enough about eating clean to eat the right stuff. For example I know my diet has nowhere near enough carbs, or, energy giving foods. But I have no idea what to eat. General diet below:

Monday - Friday:
Breakfast - Asparagus, 3 eggs scrambled (nothing added), spinach, 2-3 cherry tomatoes and blueberries. Black fresh made coffee and 1L water.

Lunch - Large green leafy salad, tuna (1 can), hot sauce, cashews (raw), satsuma

Dinner - A good size meal of some sort. Rice and sweet potatoes are the main carb, a protein source like a chicken breast and a good size portion of green veg. Varying dinners but all along this theme.

Saturday - Sunday:
Breakfast - Scrambled eggs (5) and bacon, toast.
Lunch - Varies, hard to put a nail on it. Can be good, can be "bad".
Dinner - Usually out at a restaurant on Saturday and keep my choices good. Sunday is the same as Monday to Friday.

Perhaps a snack in there somewhere.

Note, I perform better on a Sunday than I do on a Tuesday on the court.

Sometimes I have to eat additionally in between. But I regularly feel drained if I workout hard. And I think, the more I read, that perhaps I workout exhaustively too much. But I dont know.

I have never performed to my potential. I really need a change. I need help and advice. I am starting here, but I think I am going to progress to a coach. Baby steps to changing a habit of a lifetime.

Any advice will go greatly appreciated.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I'm going to list some points. You can take from them as you like.

1) Circuits are not good strength builders. To build strength, you need to build muscle and practise the technique you want to be strong at. So gym strength workouts should focus on muscle. I have a thread on strength training somewhere.

2) Your diet looks pretty clean. Coupled with all the training you do, I find it hard to believe you carry much fat. Have you missed something out? In any case, fat loss is through diet. I've also made a thread on it.

3) Regarding your routine and goals, I'd suggest 1 day each for Squash Movement, strength and cardio. I know you prioritised them in a specific order but cardio requires more frequency and volume than strength training, so placing it as a lower priority can mean giving it the same time resource.

On the other days, play squash.

Last edited:

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I'm going to list some points. You can take from them as you like.

1) Circuits are not good strength builders. To build strength, you need to build muscle and practise the technique you want to be strong at. So gym strength workouts should focus on muscle. I have a thread on strength training somewhere.

2) Your diet lookspretty clean. Coupled with all the training you do, I find it hard to believe you carry much fat. Have you missed something out? In any case, fat loss is through diet. I've also made a thread on it.

3) Regarding your routine and goals, I'd suggest 1 day each for Squash Movement, strength and cardio. I know you prioritised them in a specific order but cardio requires more frequency and volume that strength training, so placing it as a lower priority can mean giving it the same time resource.

On the other days, play squash.
Awesome. I will try it. I need to get back into lifting. I know it really. I will adapt it a little to get some lifting in, take the circuit strength out. The cardio work I will probably do mostly sprints, but interleave it with cycling, running and swimming.

Not missed anything out. My fat is all built up, had some personal issues I wont go into that meant I ballooned to 95kg (5ft 10in). Down to 90 now and still going down about 6-7 weeks into eating clean again. i do drink on one day of the weekend, usually at least 6 beers (or cider), often higher, sometimes none. But midweek zero alcohol.

Very much appreciate the response...

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Awesome. I will try it. I need to get back into lifting. I know it really. I will adapt it a little to get some lifting in, take the circuit strength out. The cardio work I will probably do mostly sprints, but interleave it with cycling, running and swimming.

Not missed anything out. My fat is all built up, had some personal issues I wont go into that meant I ballooned to 95kg (5ft 10in). Down to 90 now and still going down about 6-7 weeks into eating clean again. i do drink on one day of the weekend, usually at least 6 beers (or cider), often higher, sometimes none. But midweek zero alcohol.

Very much appreciate the response...
No worries mate. Yeah, 6 beers won't help LOL

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Lifted today for the first time in God knows how long. Legs and chest mostly.

Gonna ache tomorrow!!

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
OK. So I have read a bunch of the threads here, the How much carbs should i be eating? | The MMA Community Forum thread is the one that seems closest to what I am asking, but... wait let me explain from the start.

I play squash. I used to do a few combat sports but seriously injured my achillies, it's fine now but incredibly sensitive to impact directly too it. I tried Judo, Taekwondo, BJJ, but couldnt risk the impact, it hurt too much. So I took up squash (I played a little as a junior). Squash requires racket skills, speed, cardio and functional strength (not lifting strength in my opinion). I have seriously stagnated recently, I've had 6-8 months of getting very fat and suffering in my personal life that has meant I have got relatively out of shape. I am sure this story is regularly brought up. However my requirements to return to form have eluded me. A workout routine around my schedule and with my goals is always something I have wrestled with. I would LOVE some advice. So, my "requirements":

Monday - Open to advice, currently squash practice.
Tuesday - Team match, like match day for any sport. The day I need to perform.
Wednesday - Open to advice, currently a circuit
Thursday - Cycling 2-3 hours, open to change.
Friday - Open to advice, currently some sort of circuit or squash.
Sat - Rest
Sunday - Squash team training. Tough session which pushes me hard but it is games.

So, with this 7 day schedule in mind I need to try and fit in the following. To make it easier I have ranked them in order of importance to me (open to change). 1 is most important.:
  1. Squash movement - grooving this really can improve your game, I like to do it when I can but takes so much energy. It's a sprint circuit essentially
  2. Improving funcitonal strength circuit - I use a circuit to improve strength, is this right? I have lifted plenty in the past but I need to get slimmer and carry as little weight as possible. This circuit is usually both cardio and strength. 50sec on an exercise, 10 rest.
  3. Squash practice - this is fairly low impact, just hitting the ball and concentrating on technique
  4. I like to swim, cycle and run. But fitting them in comes second to performing in squash.
We are in the squash off season and have a few weeks to play around with a routine. And try new sessions. So, here I am...

I also try to eat as clean as I can. This is a constant battle for me, I need to lose weight. I weigh too much to be optimal and have plenty of fat that can go. Just, I suffer so hard with lack of energy when I do. I really dont know enough about eating clean to eat the right stuff. For example I know my diet has nowhere near enough carbs, or, energy giving foods. But I have no idea what to eat. General diet below:

Monday - Friday:
Breakfast - Asparagus, 3 eggs scrambled (nothing added), spinach, 2-3 cherry tomatoes and blueberries. Black fresh made coffee and 1L water.

Lunch - Large green leafy salad, tuna (1 can), hot sauce, cashews (raw), satsuma

Dinner - A good size meal of some sort. Rice and sweet potatoes are the main carb, a protein source like a chicken breast and a good size portion of green veg. Varying dinners but all along this theme.

Saturday - Sunday:
Breakfast - Scrambled eggs (5) and bacon, toast.
Lunch - Varies, hard to put a nail on it. Can be good, can be "bad".
Dinner - Usually out at a restaurant on Saturday and keep my choices good. Sunday is the same as Monday to Friday.

Perhaps a snack in there somewhere.

Note, I perform better on a Sunday than I do on a Tuesday on the court.

Sometimes I have to eat additionally in between. But I regularly feel drained if I workout hard. And I think, the more I read, that perhaps I workout exhaustively too much. But I dont know.

I have never performed to my potential. I really need a change. I need help and advice. I am starting here, but I think I am going to progress to a coach. Baby steps to changing a habit of a lifetime.

Any advice will go greatly appreciated.
If you are only eating 3 meals a day there is one of your problems right there.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Ever heard of when Arnold back in the day would load up his car with beer, broads, bro and barbell-- and camp in the woods, eat steaks, drink beer, enjoy the company of frauleins and squat till the cows come home? He seemed to think this did some good. What do you think? Read about it a long time ago in Education of a Bodybuilder.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
To really get jacked and lean

Huge bowl of sugar lots of cherry syrup on top=lights out game over