Lifestyle I took a trip to Costa Rica

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Why Costa Rica? What's there?

I had no idea. I just got back from being deployed. My wife had a week off. We wanted to travel and needed somewhere that only a week could be useful. I originally wanted to go scuba diving. But that was bad because, while Feb. is among the most popular time of the year to visit, its a terrible time for an amateur scuba diver to get in the water. Just too rough and dangerous compared to places like Cozumel, etc.

But I kept reading and there's jungles and beach and why not.

So I prepped my beachwear for all those foreigners...

Hopped on a plane...

And landed in Liberia...
With plans to rent a car, head out to Monteverde, Fortuna (Arenal area), and then to Playa Flamingo...

Be sure to hit the duty free shop if you ever go. The country taxes and service fees are insane for alcohol...

That moonshine was in honor of Wild @Wild

Walking around Liberia you will see some new friends right away...

And you'll have to hit up the SuperMercado. They know their audience well!

After getting settled in. Get up early the next day for Monteverde. You'll want a 4x4 rental vehicle but youll be treated to a great view from the top...

And more interesting friends just below...

We did some zip lining, including from that tower WAY out there in this sunset picture. It was incredible with dangerous 40-50mph winds. They typically shut it all down at that point, but we were already out there when it started so too late. Pretty scary. But man that view as the sunset...

We enjoyed a night hike and some food. Then went on a scenic drive out to La Fortuna near Arenal Volcano...

On the way, you drive a few hours around this lake. Just gorgeous.

It was a little overcast, but made for a fun jungle walk around the volcano base. They no longer allow hikes up, as there are dangerous gasses. There are illegal tour guides that will sneak people in apparently.

Some jungle pics...

Volcano in the mist.... Lots of volcanic rock from old lava flows...

Here's some leaf cutter ants in the jungle. They are everywhere but pretty neat to watch...

View: https://vid.me/J3JT

After the jungle we headed out to the beach in an airbnb that gave this view every day....

Here is an artist representation of me during that period...

So there it is my peeps. Hope you enjoyed the pics!

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
amazing. i didt not expect that awesome slide show. sick vacation. or whatever u want to call. sick adventure. sick life

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Looks like a fun time. Heading out for a week myself tomorrow but I won't be able to post pics . Glad you had a fun time.

Although I know u sailed there on your yacht I don't buy that airplane nonsense

M

member 3289

Great pics. Glad you're back, man.

And don't worry, I held everything down while you were gone, just as you had asked me to.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Such a man of mystery you are.

I'm tempted to photoshop the Splint avatar face and CMNH in all the pics so it looks like they went on vacation together.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Why Costa Rica? What's there?

I had no idea. I just got back from being deployed. My wife had a week off. We wanted to travel and needed somewhere that only a week could be useful. I originally wanted to go scuba diving. But that was bad because, while Feb. is among the most popular time of the year to visit, its a terrible time for an amateur scuba diver to get in the water. Just too rough and dangerous compared to places like Cozumel, etc.

But I kept reading and there's jungles and beach and why not.

So I prepped my beachwear for all those foreigners...

Hopped on a plane...

And landed in Liberia...
With plans to rent a car, head out to Monteverde, Fortuna (Arenal area), and then to Playa Flamingo...

Be sure to hit the duty free shop if you ever go. The country taxes and service fees are insane for alcohol...

That moonshine was in honor of Wild @Wild

Walking around Liberia you will see some new friends right away...

And you'll have to hit up the SuperMercado. They know their audience well!

After getting settled in. Get up early the next day for Monteverde. You'll want a 4x4 rental vehicle but youll be treated to a great view from the top...

And more interesting friends just below...

We did some zip lining, including from that tower WAY out there in this sunset picture. It was incredible with dangerous 40-50mph winds. They typically shut it all down at that point, but we were already out there when it started so too late. Pretty scary. But man that view as the sunset...

We enjoyed a night hike and some food. Then went on a scenic drive out to La Fortuna near Arenal Volcano...

On the way, you drive a few hours around this lake. Just gorgeous.

It was a little overcast, but made for a fun jungle walk around the volcano base. They no longer allow hikes up, as there are dangerous gasses. There are illegal tour guides that will sneak people in apparently.

Some jungle pics...

Volcano in the mist.... Lots of volcanic rock from old lava flows...

Here's some leaf cutter ants in the jungle. They are everywhere but pretty neat to watch...

View: https://vid.me/J3JT

After the jungle we headed out to the beach in an airbnb that gave this view every day....

Here is an artist representation of me during that period...

So there it is my peeps. Hope you enjoyed the pics!
That's awesome doc.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Amazing. Looks like an incredible trip. You deserved it Doc!

Great photos all around, but the volcano/old lava flows and the leaf cutter ants are my favorite.

Can I have a stoot of that Don Julio?

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Such a man of mystery you are.

I'm tempted to photoshop the Splint avatar face and CMNH in all the pics so it looks like they went on vacation together.
i learned how to create transparent images today. i cant wait to do my first romo shop or whatever its called

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Amazing. Looks like an incredible trip. You deserved it Doc!

Great photos all around, but the volcano/old lava flows and the leaf cutter ants are my favorite.

Can I have a stoot of that Don Julio?
oh yeah. i meant to ask this in my first message, but i was in awe.

what were the animals. there was a wild cat, marsupial thing? what was that? Splinty @Splinty

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure that one is a Coati

We also saw some Kinkajous at night - not my pic

i really dig the coati. awesome creature

the honey bear looks cool, too. he probably cant climb as well as my friend squrril, but he seems pretty good. and adorable

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Best meal?

How's the coffee?

Some of the most notable cultural differences?

Is Mrs. Splint pregnant?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
went to Costa Rica 25 years ago, when I was 17. Had to take a Spanish class for HS, and the Spanish Club decided to go to Costa Rica instead of their traditional trip to tourist Mexico. We sold chocolate advent calendars, but my stoner friends ended up eating all of mine. :rolleyes:

We got to the hotel in San Jose after midnight, and because the drinking age in Costa Rica was unknown/unenforced, me and a couple friends hung out at the bar and drank Imperial cervezas...because Budweiser was an import. The next night the Club went to La Esmeralda for dinner, and I snuck across the street to a club. I met a bunch of surfers who were following the summer around the world, like Endless Summer, and we hit it off making fun of some greasy Italian tourists and their dancing.

Ended up being "sick" most days that the Spanish Club went to tourist stuff, and hung out on the beach and around town with the surfers. So many good memories of that trip...volcano, Cloud Forest, snorkeling Manuel Antonio beach, surfing Playa Hermosa, watching the real surfers take on Playa Pavones, pounding Cuba Libres on a bar top made of a piece of marble that Columbus brought over as an altar, the Steel Church, the suicidal cab rides, the mahogany hotel in the mountains...GOOD TIMES.

:cheers:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Best meal?

How's the coffee?

Some of the most notable cultural differences?

Is Mrs. Splint pregnant?
Tons of great seafood. That was my favorite part.
Good beef too, but hit or miss on cooking it.

Cultural? We found this part in the lonely planey book hilarious:

Mrs. Splinty is not pregnant as far as I know. But if she is, at least the Costa Rican poolboy was a looker.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Mrs. Splinty is not pregnant as far as I know. But if she is, at least the Costa Rican poolboy was a looker.
Tell her I say "hisssssss....." ;)

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

the coffee...OMG the coffee...served with a touch of warm goat milk...cafe con leche with every meal...

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
the coffee...OMG the coffee...served with a touch of warm goat milk...cafe con leche with every meal...
Man, this was actually my favorite part. I love good coffee. All of it was great, readily available, and served hot!
Travel in Asia or the Middle East and its common to get a more tepid cup. Not for me!

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Man, this was actually my favorite part. I love good coffee. All of it was great, readily available, and served hot!
Travel in Asia or the Middle East and its common to get a more tepid cup. Not for me!
did you tour any of the plantations? That was my only regret from that trip. I grew up on a farm, so I was weaned on coffee...but it wasn't on the tour itinerary.