I trained with the Boogeyman

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016

Yesterday. Richie was in town and did a seminar at our gym. It was awesome. If you ever get to train with him it is worth it.

M

member 603

That's awesome, I've heard that he's a great guy, I'm happy that you had that experience.

M

member 603

Hey BJJMMA @BJJMMA real question... You are a larger framed gentleman, how does the 10th Planet system work for your frame?

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
Hey BJJMMA @BJJMMA real question... You are a larger framed gentleman, how does the 10th Planet system work for your frame?
Great question. Actually it works much better than people think. Mainly because people think all we do is rubber guard and that couldn't be further from the truth. Now, complete disclosure I am not great at open guard. That is my own fault. One of my training partners is larger than me and is fantastic at it. My open guard weaknesses would be prevalent regardless of my academy at this point because of my own laziness about developing it.
The big thing is having a coach willing to work with you on proper adjustments. Much of the 10th system you don't have to be as flexible as people think. It certainly helps but little adjustments here and there make it doable. My friend Kyle is bigger than me. If he is in a tournament anywhere around here (Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi) he is highly likely to win. If you saw me or him I don't know that you would think, "that is a 10th Planet guy" but we are. While you will rarely see us play de la riva we can. It just isn't pretty like watching Geo Martinez do it.
For most big guys regardless of the system it comes down to persistence and being willing to stick it out. It is incredibly frustrating for big guys early on. I remember Brandon teaching flyover passes for the first time early on in my training. I just flat couldn't do it. Now? Just a year later I can drill it and even hit it rolling. I still weigh the same the difference is just I stuck with it.

M

member 603

Great question. Actually it works much better than people think. Mainly because people think all we do is rubber guard and that couldn't be further from the truth. Now, complete disclosure I am not great at open guard. That is my own fault. One of my training partners is larger than me and is fantastic at it. My open guard weaknesses would be prevalent regardless of my academy at this point because of my own laziness about developing it.
The big thing is having a coach willing to work with you on proper adjustments. Much of the 10th system you don't have to be as flexible as people think. It certainly helps but little adjustments here and there make it doable. My friend Kyle is bigger than me. If he is in a tournament anywhere around here (Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi) he is highly likely to win. If you saw me or him I don't know that you would think, "that is a 10th Planet guy" but we are. While you will rarely see us play de la riva we can. It just isn't pretty like watching Geo Martinez do it.
For most big guys regardless of the system it comes down to persistence and being willing to stick it out. It is incredibly frustrating for big guys early on. I remember Brandon teaching flyover passes for the first time early on in my training. I just flat couldn't do it. Now? Just a year later I can drill it and even hit it rolling. I still weigh the same the difference is just I stuck with it.
Nice, most of the 10th P guys I know are the smaller guys, or the long lanky guys, so I always try to get feedback from everyone. Great to hear this, I've played with elements of the system, one of my good friends trains in it, but I was wondering how it worked for the HW's

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
Nice, most of the 10th P guys I know are the smaller guys, or the long lanky guys, so I always try to get feedback from everyone. Great to hear this, I've played with elements of the system, one of my good friends trains in it, but I was wondering how it worked for the HW's
I also know, at our school, that evolution of submission grappling has really brought a lot of evolution to the 10th Planet system. You have a lot of rubber guard guys of course but there are also a lot of leg lockers. The system in itself is very fluid. A more recent trend, one that I myself fall into, is a lot of guys are playing kimura locks and trying to learn/adapt Vagner Rocha's system. I see a lot of this in our gym. I think that is why I like the 10th planet system so much. They aren't going to tell you, "no don't try that. It isn't our system."

M

member 603

I also know, at our school, that evolution of submission grappling has really brought a lot of evolution to the 10th Planet system. You have a lot of rubber guard guys of course but there are also a lot of leg lockers. The system in itself is very fluid. A more recent trend, one that I myself fall into, is a lot of guys are playing kimura locks and trying to learn/adapt Vagner Rocha's system. I see a lot of this in our gym. I think that is why I like the 10th planet system so much. They aren't going to tell you, "no don't try that. It isn't our system."
Absolutely, BJJ is ever evolving in the competitive sense, as well as in the self defense/MMA arena. I always tell my students that you don't have to be experts at other systems, but get a basic understanding so you're not overwhelmed by what your opponent is doing, and you're aware of the potential hazards of that position.

Overall, I preach basics (ala Roger) and clear understanding of the concepts of BJJ.... Once you have these, the overall game gets easier.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
stretched ears & BJJ? i would be so worried a finger is going to rip my ear off... but the boogeyman don't give a FUCK

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
Absolutely, BJJ is ever evolving in the competitive sense, as well as in the self defense/MMA arena. I always tell my students that you don't have to be experts at other systems, but get a basic understanding so you're not overwhelmed by what your opponent is doing, and you're aware of the potential hazards of that position.

Overall, I preach basics (ala Roger) and clear understanding of the concepts of BJJ.... Once you have these, the overall game gets easier.
I agree. There is a fundamental level that must be understood. Past that you add and subtract and develop your own style. Take Richie Martinez; he uses the darce probably more than anyone in highly competitive BJJ. I know a lot of guys that won't even try the darce because of their size or arm length. I was that guy. 3 hours with Richie and that has completely changed.
I know a lot of guys that won't train leglocks. That is fine for self defense BJJ because very few guys are going to try that in a street fight. However, if you're doing sport BJJ and not training leglocks and leglock defense you are in big trouble. That is the forefront of that realm of BJJ right now.

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
stretched ears & BJJ? i would be so worried a finger is going to rip my ear off... but the boogeyman don't give a FUCK
If you notice when he competes or rolls he tapes them up. It looks like he has little ink pens on his ears.

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
doesn't look like he's got them taped up in the pics here when he's coaching. but yeah - makes sense haha
He didn't when coaching but if you go back and watch EBI or other competitions you will notice it then.

M

member 603

I agree. There is a fundamental level that must be understood. Past that you add and subtract and develop your own style. Take Richie Martinez; he uses the darce probably more than anyone in highly competitive BJJ. I know a lot of guys that won't even try the darce because of their size or arm length. I was that guy. 3 hours with Richie and that has completely changed.
I know a lot of guys that won't train leglocks. That is fine for self defense BJJ because very few guys are going to try that in a street fight. However, if you're doing sport BJJ and not training leglocks and leglock defense you are in big trouble. That is the forefront of that realm of BJJ right now.
Exactly, If you're competing, and don't learn all points of attack, you're destined for failure. I tell the traditional IBJJF guys to learn the no gi game (leg lock defense especially), I tell the no gi guys to learn about lapel chokes.... You can't deny half of the game, nor be to arrogant to seek advice in it.

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
Exactly, If you're competing, and don't learn all points of attack, you're destined for failure. I tell the traditional IBJJF guys to learn the no gi game (leg lock defense especially), I tell the no gi guys to learn about lapel chokes.... You can't deny half of the game, nor be to arrogant to seek advice in it.
Exactly and you would probably be surprised that many of our people at 10th Decatur compete in both gi and nogi. Granted we do a LOT more nogi but it is not uncommon to see a guy in class with a gi or put one on to roll. Also all of our kids programs are in a gi as well in order to build that foundation.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Richie and Geo are both really good guys. Fun to talk to and train with.